Black Shark 2 Released

Wags

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The training missions are in video format and can be downloaded from the DCS website: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/video/

When installed they'll appear in the training section of the menu. There's also a button there to download them.

ok.thanks...

I preferred A10 style interactive tutorials...pity..

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

ok.thanks...

I preferred A10 style interactive tutorials...pity..

yeah kinda feel its not good enough for a dev team I hold in such high regard.

The original first release had one, was it so hard for them to modify it to suit the new one??, Must be hard for any new players starting from scratch to learn from those vids..

The original release didn't have an interactive tutorial in the DCS A-10C style. It had narration that assumed you were keeping up and pressing the correct things, but I think the interactivity was limited to 'press space to continue', and I'm not even 100% sure that was there. It was very cumbersome if you missed a step or did something wrong. Additionally, the tracks failed to play back correctly in later versions. That's why they switched to a video of the tutorial. Edit: upon further reflection, the original training was implemented as tracks that were played back and you could listen to the narration and watch as the actions were performed. Or, you could hit escape and take control, and then listen to the narration and perform the actions yourself. The 'press space to continue' was new in Warthog. In Black Shark, if you fell behind or got confused, you had to restart the training mission. At least with a video, you can rewind.

The Warthog tutorial system is a massive improvement, but also has its problems: a few bugs that prevent you proceeding in the tutorials, and problems with playback after patches changed things. Plus, I think it took a much longer time to create & test the tutorials.

I hope they continue down that route and can apply lessons learned to make things easier for themselves while still providing that level of interactivity. Mind you, "watching then doing" has one benefit of forcing you to remember what you're doing, instead of blindly following the highlight.

Another edit: I largely agree with Luigi below. Although good training is important, it's also something you only do a few times, so the amount of time and effort that goes into creating and supporting the interactive training seems difficult to justify. At the end of the day, you need to memorise the steps in order and understand why you're doing them. That just takes good ol' fashioned learning.

Edited by nomdeplume

To be honest, the BS1 interactive tutorials didn't help me enough to miss them in 1.0.2 or BS 2.

Tried A10-C yesterday for the first time. Had the first two tutorials (familarization?) and have to admit that they don't help that much as well.

Reading and understanding the corresponding flight manual (plus tons of accompanying materials, e.g. FAA documents) plus extensive training does help. ;)

• Like 1

To be honest, the BS1 interactive tutorials didn't help me enough to miss them in 1.0.2 or BS 2.

Tried A10-C yesterday for the first time. Had the first two tutorials (familarization?) and have to admit that they don't help that much as well.

Reading and understanding the corresponding flight manual (plus tons of accompanying materials, e.g. FAA documents) plus extensive training does help. ;)

Agree!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

I suppose everyone is different, I personally started from scratch and learned using those tutorials, this is why I have an affinity towards those tutorials, Within a week I was comfortable and confident with the aircraft.

For the diehard enthusiast or people that have a background in aviation may find the tutorials rudimentary but for those that are not need to start somewhere. The tutorials may seem a waste of effort if they are only used as a stepping stone but it is a necessary stepping stone...

A strong tutorial and minimizing the effort for research and learning may help the DCS community grow, as I have seen countless people give up before they can even begin to enjoy it... Im just lucky enough to enjoy the learning curve... :pilotfly:

BTW The tutorials in A-10 are excellent for the noob ! As not everyone has the resources / documents to study up on....

• Like 1

I suppose everyone is different, I personally started from scratch

Same here, although quite some time ago. However, I never expected to be able to fly the Shark after just a few tutorial sessions. In fact, I still wouldn't claim to be able to actually "fly" the Shark after maybe 50 or 60 hours in the pit. It feels more like being able to deal with her somehow ;)

For the diehard enthusiast or people that have a background in aviation may find the tutorials rudimentary but for those that are not need to start somewhere.

I'd neither call me a die hard enthusiast nor do I have a background in aviation. As I usually enjoy any kind of tutorial to get comfortable with the software in question, I also did the BS 1 tutorials (as I did the A10-C tutorials). However, they both didn't teach me anything I couldn't read in the corresponding flight manuals. Instead they left me with way more open questions than I had when starting the tutorial.

That's why and when I began to dig the net. There are gazillions of useful documents publicly available at the FAA as well as hundreds of avionics and sim enthisiast sites. /me personally enjoys the FAA documenary most when it comes to avionics as such. Still looking for military documentation covering the use of attack helicopters, though (especially the Shark, ofc).

BTW The tutorials in A-10 are excellent for the noob ! As not everyone has the resources / documents to study up on....

The only limited resource I'd be aware of at the moment would be "time". Everything else is available for free.

Plus, I think it took a much longer time to create & test the tutorials.

Understatement of the year. :D

People need to give EB a lot of love for the tutorials included with DCS A-10C. They are a MASSIVE job - and every patch would risk requiring changes, end up changing sensitivites such that tweaking and testing is needed and so on and so forth.

I was thinking about making some similar stuff, opened the A-10C tutorials to re-fam a bit with how it works under the hood, and decided I'd probably have a nervous breakdown before anything got done. Remember, he not only had to make playback, highlights and so on sync up - he also had to make it all line up and work while the player might be doing pretty much anything, including deviating from the predicted flight track.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You're not going to tell us, he did them all on his own?

AFAIK, yes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

XKCD 980 - Money Chart

http://xkcd.com/980/huge/#x=-6400&y=-8960&z=1

All those people who thought that $20 for an *upgrade* of Black Shark is too much. This chart will help put it all in perspective.

I especially hope that those of you spending (on average) $1320 on your smartphone annual bill without blinking but have the gall to complain about the $20 for the upgrade (or worse, complain and then try pirate it) will read the chart and have a think.

• Like 1

Understatement of the year. :D

People need to give EB a lot of love for the tutorials included with DCS A-10C. They are a MASSIVE job - and every patch would risk requiring changes, end up changing sensitivites such that tweaking and testing is needed and so on and so forth.

I was thinking about making some similar stuff, opened the A-10C tutorials to re-fam a bit with how it works under the hood, and decided I'd probably have a nervous breakdown before anything got done. Remember, he not only had to make playback, highlights and so on sync up - he also had to make it all line up and work while the player might be doing pretty much anything, including deviating from the predicted flight track.

rgr.. they were very good.... thanks for that. I guess back to the KISS format of video files.... :)

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

So if I buy the upgrade, it needs to check wether I have BS1 installed when I try to install BS2, but I understand that after install its a seperate installation from BS1.

Can you then uninstall BS1? I don't like keeping HDD space occupied with basically a copy of the same program I never use anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Can you then uninstall BS1? I don't like keeping HDD space occupied with basically a copy of the same program I never use anymore.

Yes.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'