KNEEBOARD Export for 'multimonitorsetup.lua' in all modules - DCS 1.2.4

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throwing in two examples for a alternative placement of the Kneeboard inside the cockpit:

Use the numbers out of the notepad++ window to get the same results.

Ka-50 right panel position:

PositioningExampleKa-50_zps7a442a5a.jpg

UH-1H Wind-shield Center , you must lean and zoom a little more to get a optimal view, but this position let you see and use the Kneeboard also from the Co-Pilot seat :

PositioningExampleUH-1H_zps3209b4f1.jpg

A tip for a more streamlined editing the position without the need to reload the mission each time you made a change:

Use the included "All planes-modules Kneeboard test.miz" and edit the numbers while DCS is running.

Than save the edited device_init.lua. Switch to DCS - go to Briefing > Back and re-enter the newly edited module again to see instantly your changes - redo this until you are satisfied with your position.

Edited by PeterP

I like those Peter cool, I have a question is it possible to maybe add a dot for your current position to the map bit like a gps does or like the big F10 map has.

I'm thinking now as I have typed this maybe not as that would possibly be cheating.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

I like those Peter cool, I have a question is it possible to maybe add a dot for your current position to the map bit like a gps does or like the big F10 map has.

I'm thinking now as I have typed this maybe not as that would possibly be cheating.

>>> Post #1

You have 'wishes' about expanding the current functionality ?!

Please post them here:

start.pngED Forums » English » Digital Combat Simulator » DCS World » DCS Wishlist » Functional Kneeboard for all Modules!

Short answer:

No - don't expect me to implement things like this . Leave it to the ED-Developers

this was in the user files,, but it has been removed?

I made a very small update :

KNEEBOARD_Tablet_Mod_PP_1.01_for DCSWORLD_1.2.4

changelog:

1.0 > 1.01

-Fixed black line at top of kneeboard_mask.dds at certain zoom levels

-added 'Positioning Example Ka-50.jpg' / 'Positioning Example UH-1H.jpg' to documentation

Updating files in the DCS userfiles-section always needs a check by a moderator- and this didn't happen up to now. So it's temporally not visible there.

Expect it to be up again within some hours/days. It's not in my hands.

But:

Please re-visit the first post. >>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=107586

You will find the newest version always in it.

And if not - at least a info about the 'why'.

Thanks.

Edited by PeterP

Very temped to start using this as I use knee-board in all my X52 Pro, Profiles as main Nav tool and to show pos just the thought of 1.2.5 coming out and breaking it is holding me back.

OMG - you are right!! Damn, that is a serious problem - and when 1.2.5 wont brake it , 1.2.6 sure does!!

...and now I'm questioning myself why I have done all this stuff and shared it with you at all - I'm so sorry!!

...wait .... lets push this thought a 'little' further...

I won't go to work after my holidays any-more! - just because there is the possibility that world ends (or I die) in two months -

...so going to work and earning money will be absolute useless ! - as I have right now everything I need to life for the next two month.

-got it?! :)

EDIT: If someone else is considering to post something similar like TimeKilla did and you might think that it's worth to be discussed in a kind of way - ...

Please (!) consult a doctor or at least a philosopher beforehand -

...these people have the right profession to answer your concerns much better than I ... ;):)

Really... do I have to put it in the FAQ ?...wondering...

Edited by PeterP

Thats a nice tool but isnt it possible to include this kneeboard in EMC ?

edit: Seems Clyber has found the answer him self - and deleted his question.

Peter, is there a possibility to have this on EMC ?

certainly ! -this is up to Icemaker! I just provide the basics. - much better would be if ED and all 3rdParty developer would make the same changes that Icemaker and I worked out to get each view-export separated and available for end-user editing without the need to edit it again each time a new 'update' is out....

I installed it and the kneeboard shows up, the map works, but none of the charts appear, the ones that came default with the download. Just says "missing charts" when I switch.

I'll try and play with it tomorrow. Didn't see anyone else with this problem in this thread.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

PeterP

First of all, this is a great mod that most of us would have no idea how to even begin to code. Congratulations. While some times your comments are a little caustic, most of the time you are right in that the problem is user error. As in my case, it took me 2 weeks to properly follow your sometimes cryptic instructions, but when I did so, everything worked as you stated. Unfortunately, when I leaped for joy at getting it to work and showing my wife how neat it is to change info on the knee board, her comment was "that's nice" and then she walked away. Please keep up the good work and don't be to harsh on us when we screw up. We are really trying our best.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

PeterP

First of all, this is a great mod that most of us would have no idea how to even begin to code. Congratulations. While some times your comments are a little caustic, most of the time you are right in that the problem is user error. As in my case, it took me 2 weeks to properly follow your sometimes cryptic instructions, but when I did so, everything worked as you stated. Unfortunately, when I leaped for joy at getting it to work and showing my wife how neat it is to change info on the knee board, her comment was "that's nice" and then she walked away. Please keep up the good work and don't be to harsh on us when we screw up. We are really trying our best.

Many thanks !

But:

I'm not harsh - I just passing info - well, sometimes very compact .

But don't expect me to write a Roman and ask several questions for troubleshooting things...

(that are already covered by the read-me/documentation - I spend a lot time on writing / completing it - it's there to serve a purpose - so people should read it)

...when I only got incomplete Info like this - and there is even no question mark at all:

I installed it and the kneeboard shows up, the map works, but none of the charts appear, the ones that came default with the download. Just says "missing charts" when I switch.
... *sigh* I have better things to do like troubleshooting this.

And:

It's your very own interpretation that let it sound "harsh" for you - its not how I wrote it.

So here - have a smiley : :)

And this is what I think:

Instead of dedicate your time in telling me that my answer for someone else was not what you expected and /or you think that it wasn't a appropriate one -

instead :

Try to troubleshoot this for P*Funk - I'm sure he would very much appreciate it.

:)

Edit:

If you think I shouldn't answer at all with just a correction and the most obvious advise next time - let me know.

Well it would also help me to save some time - next time.

;)

Edited by PeterP

No, it actually says a little more:

Do what it says and consult please the documentation again.

Well I did what it says. I checked those folders. There are charts in both of them. Common charts has aerodrome charts for Georgia and Russia, while the Custom charts has the three instructional pages with the blue background.

I re read the documentation, confirmed that I installed everything as it says. I have the kneeboard commands in my controls.

I used JSGME to install everything, but you said it was compatible with this method. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything.

Well I did what it says. I checked those folders. There are charts in both of them. Common charts has aerodrome charts for Georgia and Russia, while the Custom charts has the three instructional pages with the blue background.

I re read the documentation, confirmed that I installed everything as it says. I have the kneeboard commands in my controls.

I used JSGME to install everything, but you said it was compatible with this method. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything.

Please help others helping you and add at least more info to the used module and some info in which path your JSGM is starting in.

- I can tell you that it is working flawless in DCS 1.2.4 at my side when you follow the documentation.

Just try it like this:

Write a letter to my 93 years old grandma what happened - so she can recreate the situation without that You and I have to sit beside her.

Okay, so apparently I'm not using 1.2.4. I updated my game yesterday and the updater said I was current. Double checking showed that I was only on 1.2.3. I suppose this might be some side effect of the recent patch reversion? I'm not sure.

I'm updating again, so lets see what happens. This is probably the issue.

Bloody auto updater has been my enemy since it first arrived.

EDIT. Yea it works fine now. Silly me.

Now I need to produce some checklists and Vspeed charts into the correct size.

You mentioned in one of your change logs that you changed from PNG to JPEG. Something about the appearance of the images in game.

Is there any reason to not use PNG? If producing my own image is there something I should be doing to it other than just formatting to the right resolution?

Edited by P*Funk

You mentioned in one of your change logs that you changed from PNG to JPEG. Something about the appearance of the images in game.

Is there any reason to not use PNG? If producing my own image is there something I should be doing to it other than just formatting to the right resolution?

I did it to lower the file size of the complete mod package without a noticeable loose in quality.

With PNG the Mod was ~27mb and with JPG it's 19mb. That's all.

Res is almost irrelevant . It only changes file-size and level of detail when fully zoomed in.

Just stay as close s posibile to a 2:3 ratio - so you get no distortion.

I use myself 668x1024 for all charts - its absulute sufficient . going higher only inveigle you to make the text smaller as it is usable inside the cockpit and /or when placed as view-port.

Rule of the thump to get always readable text at moderate zoom-levels:

don't use a higher Vertical res as the Monitor that you are using can show .

2000x3000 is sure more crisp when fully zoomed in - but it will be very fuzzy if you place it as View-port in 668x1024.

Hope that clears this up.

• 3 weeks later...

Achtung - important info regarding DCS World 1.2.5 !

This mod is in its current version not 100% compatible with the 1.2.5 P-51D and the Huey Beta.

Means:

The Kneeboard will work fine , but it can be that other cockpit devices , like the Radio in the P-51D, will not working properly.

(I wasn't able to make in-game tests up to now - I just compared the 1.2.5 files with winmerge for changes)

To play absulute save: Don't install the Mod for the P-51D and Huey Beta until I provide a update for them.

It is still 100% save to use it with the 1.2.5 DCS World and FC3, A-10C, Ka-50 , as the involved files didn't changed from 1.2.4 to 1.2.5.

Will try to provide a 100% working 1.2.5 update for the Huey and P-51D asap !

Edited by PeterP

KNEEBOARD_Tablet_Mod_PP_1.02_for DCSWORLD_1.2.5 is up.

Please revisit post #1 to get the download link.

changelog:

1.01 > 1.02

Edited device_init.lua of P-51d and UH-1H to incorporate changes that came with DCS World 1.2.5

1.0 > 1.01

-Fixed black line at top of kneeboard_mask.dds at certain zoom levels

-added 'Positioning Example Ka-50.jpg' / 'Positioning Example UH-1H.jpg' to documentation

... you are not using the P-51D and UH-1H ?! ... no need to download the 1.02 version ! - everything is fine and you won't miss anything.

--------------------------

Dear Moderators,

Can you please rename this thread to "KNEEBOARD Tablet Mod for DCS World"

because the actual naming doesn't cut it anymore.

Thanks!

Edited by PeterP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Peter, I posted the F15 controls .jpgs on your other thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=111478

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Peter I cant seem to get the f15C to notice the inputs. a10c works with the right cntrl and arrows and all other planes work with [ and ] . I dont see the kneeboard listed in controls in the f15C. Anything you can help me with? I even cleared the keyboard controls and put in the original .lua for keyboard.

Thanks