DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

I know how light and shadows work,

My explanation was to explain why there is a gap between the nose gear and the surface, resulting in separation of the shadow from the gear tire.

Thanks for the info; I didn't realize that the gear compression of AI planes meant that the gear moves upward, off the ground, rather than staying on the ground with the nose dipping down as it does with player controlled planes.

Does that mean that this AI behavior remains unchanged in EDGE?

Thanks again. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So tomorrow Ill see wags crashing F-15C and SU-27. :)

Cant wait.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

Quite disappointed to not see any sort of a release on the horizon in the latest newsletter.

Forgive me for saying this, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of hassle for it, but I'm starting to wonder if whilst people continue buying DCS1 content there's any incentive for ED to release DCS2?

Just getting a bit tired of the "it's not ready yet" routine. Again apologies for saying so.

Quite disappointed to not see any sort of a release on the horizon in the latest newsletter.

Forgive me for saying this, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of hassle for it, but I'm starting to wonder if whilst people continue buying DCS1 content there's any incentive for ED to release DCS2?

Just getting a bit tired of the "it's not ready yet" routine. Again apologies for saying so.

But looking from a sales perspective, as you are, they'll want the huge boost in sales from the release of 2.0.

it's sure to bring back most people who may not be playing DCS lately. And it will allow sales of the new Nevada map! Big Money! :D

Edited by Ultra

All DCSW1 modules will work in DCSW2. Unless there're other contents I don't know about?

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Of course they have an incentive. DCS2 will not only future proof their product, but it will make it much better which will increase the sales ultimately. You're overthinking it. DCS2 is very much in development and I'm sure ED want it out as much as the rest of us. But it is a complex piece of software and bugs etc will inevitably arise, they just want to make sure it is up to standard when it releases and this takes time. It will be here soon enough.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

The part I'm disappointed about is that this has left me not knowing if I should sell my Oculus Rift. I have kept hold of it just to see what it was like in DCS 2, but now having no estimated release date has left me not knowing what to do with it. They haven't even said if we are looking at this year and with the VR headsets out early next year you can see my dilemma. I just wish they hadn't waited until June to say that they don't have a release date after the Feb news letter.

Edited by joebloggs

The part I'm disappointed about is that this has left me not knowing if I should sell my Oculus Rift. I have kept hold of it just to see what it was like in DCS 2, but now having no estimated release date has left me not knowing what to do with it. They haven't even said if we are looking at this year and with the VR headsets out early next year you can see my dilemma. I just wish they hadn't waited until June to say that they don't have a release date after the Feb news letter.

You really aren't going to see much of an improvement in your OR with DCW2. The Rift's main issue is the pixelation in the display. DCW2 isn't going to magically make things better.

Even if DCSW2 increases performance for VR, your hardware will be the biggest hurdle. The only benefit I see that could come is Direct HMD access versus running it in Extended Mode.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

You really aren't going to see much of an improvement in your OR with DCW2. The Rift's main issue is the pixelation in the display. DCW2 isn't going to magically make things better.

Even if DCSW2 increases performance for VR, your hardware will be the biggest hurdle. The only benefit I see that could come is Direct HMD access versus running it in Extended Mode.

I think the high res in DCS 2 should make it look much better then it is at present in DK2, but my problem is whether or not to sell my DK2 right now. I mean, if they were going to release this in 2 to 3 months time I would probably hold of selling. I just thought they would have had a clearer picture about a release date by now, but I understand they want this released in good order.

Edited by joebloggs

but they didnt have release date at all
But they did have several estimations...:music_whistling:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I think the high res in DCS 2 should make it look much better then it is at present in DK2,
High res? DCS is already "high res" I can run DCS at 4k if I so wish. That does not improve the quality of the image displayed in the DK2. The DK2 is limited in its hardware capabilities.

but my problem is whether or not to sell my DK2 right now.
Sell it, problem solved.

DCSW2 WILL NOT greatly improve your experience with DK2.

Higher resolution ground terrain mesh and textures for new maps (between 1 and 64 meters per pixel depending on area of map and clipmap level)

Improved Oculus Rift support

@Revelation - The above tells me you are wrong. How can it not look any different when DCS2 will have higher resolution ground terrain mesh and textures? It will also play a lot smoother hence the reason they mention Improved Oculus Rift Support.

Edited by joebloggs

Higher resolution ground terrain mesh and textures for new maps (between 1 and 64 meters per pixel depending on area of map and clipmap level)

That only applies to new maps. There will be no changes to the current map.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

but my problem is whether or not to sell my DK2 right now.

Sell it. Unless you play it with other games.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I know, I have the NTTR map in mind.

Which may, or may not, be released at the same time as DCS 2.0.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I believe that NTTR will be used to show off the new capabilities of EDGE; even though I wouldn't mind if they release EDGE as part of DCS 2.0 alpha with the current Caucasus map with EDGE treatment. :)

That would give us something new to play with, and ED had more time to tweak NTTR...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

That will make no difference on DK2.... If you can't understand the limiting factor here, then you should sell your DK2 and buy an xBoxOne.

@Revelation - The above tells me you are wrong. How can it not look any different when DCS2 will have higher resolution ground terrain mesh and textures?
This comment tells me that you have no clue what you are talking about. I don't care how much lipstick you put on a donkey, it's still a donkey.

AGAIN... With the DK2 screen you WILL NOT notice a difference.

It will also play a lot smoother hence the reason they mention Improved Oculus Rift Support.
Speculative... I also stated that IF they change from Extended Mode to Direct HMD then you may see an improvement, but that will fall on your hardware. At the moment DCS is using Extended Mode which means the DK2 will be limited to the refresh rate of your Monitor.

So while I have been brief in this discussion you have failed to actually ready anything I have typed and continued to live in this make believe world that DCSW2 will make everything better on the DK2 - IT WON'T. Even CV1 may not give the best possible experience.

Edited by Revelation

Why do people keep saying this? OF COURSE it will be released at the same time.. The entire POINT of EDGE and DCSW 2 is to provide better visuals and performance.. You can only take full advantage of this with a map that is specifically built for it.. Hence NTTR... Do you seriously think they are going to spend literally YEARS bringing this to light and release it with the old caucus map that they have already said does not take advantage of what EDGE brings?

Why on EARTH would anyone do that?

:doh:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Why do people keep saying this? OF COURSE it will be released at the same time.. The entire POINT of EDGE and DCSW 2 is to provide better visuals and performance.. You can only take full advantage of this with a map that is specifically built for it.. Hence NTTR... Do you seriously think they are going to spend literally YEARS bringing this to light and release it with the old caucus map that they have already said does not take advantage of what EDGE brings?

Why on EARTH would anyone do that?

:doh:

I think what they are trying to convey is that NTTR may not be released at the same time, but shortly after DCSW2. This does a couple of things...

a) Gets the base code out to support NTTR.

b) Sets up the Beta branch and release branch in DCSW2

Chances are good that we will see both released at the same time. I just think some are trying to set expectations a bit lower in case they are released separately.

Edited by Revelation

Someone recorded the stream? please.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals