Induce a Flat Spin?

Hi

Is it possible to induce a flat spin in an aircraft? I do not really care which aircraft it is, I just want to practice getting out of one.

Thanks

IR

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

F-15 is quite easy however any fixed wing plane in this sim follows the same rules and principles

AOA set to 75+ degrees full after burner,

when aircraft shudders when about to stall and drop about 150 knots, pull back further on the stick and apply full left or right rudder.

bit of practice and it will happen when ever you want it to happen.

As chuck yeager stated in chuck yeager's air combat from many moons ago,

"to get out of a spin, apply full throttle, push the stick all the way forward and apply full opposite rudder"

still rings true for any aircraft in this dcs sim when in a spin.

For added effect, load only left or right wing with bombs, missiles etc for easier loss of flight control.

Or power 1 engine all the way down and the other on full after burner for added excitement.

I was flying the Mirage at 40,000 ft when I decided to disable the fly-by-wire system. I was able to keep the aircraft flying somewhat level, then I tried a careful turn. Immediately lost control of the aircraft, blacked out and when I came to again I was 20,000ft lower, engine flameout and in a flat spin.

Fun times!

:D

point your nose up, full right rudder, full left stick... hold it there.... do this with plenty of altitude, ground comes up quick

to get out of a flatspin, it's not always full forwards on the stick, but you use opposite rudder to the rotation direction, don't push forwards on the stick too much, overcompensate, and get yourself in an upside down flatspin...

your goal is to point the nose directly down, get enough airspeed that you can safely pull up out of the dive.

if you're in a plane with a propeller, keep throttle at idle when you're trying to get out of the flatspin, the engine torque can keep you in it, depending on direction...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

point your nose up, full right rudder, full left stick... hold it there.... do this with plenty of altitude, ground comes up quick

to get out of a flatspin, it's not always full forwards on the stick, but you use opposite rudder to the rotation direction, don't push forwards on the stick too much, overcompensate, and get yourself in an upside down flatspin...

your goal is to point the nose directly down, get enough airspeed that you can safely pull up out of the dive.

if you're in a plane with a propeller, keep throttle at idle when you're trying to get out of the flatspin, the engine torque can keep you in it, depending on direction...

The correct procdure for getting out of a flat spin, is infact pulling back on the stick, vs push nose down on normal spins..

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

"to get out of a spin, apply full throttle, push the stick all the way forward and apply full opposite rudder"

If you have rudder and elevator authority it's not a flat spin.

There is no standard exit out of a flat spin. It's either shift CG forwards or do stuff with throttle and ailerons to drop into a normal spin.

except that, when you're rotating, there is still air going past the rudder, and extending airbrakes and flaps gives more horizontal stability, any tiny bit of drag helps get out of the flatspin...

so long as the goal is to get the nose pointed down, and airspeed up past safe levels.

try it... test it...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no standard exit out of a flat spin. It's either shift CG forwards or do stuff with throttle and ailerons to drop into a normal spin.

NASA Spin Mode Classification

Spin mode Angle-of-attack range, degrees

Flat 65 to 90

Moderately flat 45 to 65

Moderately steep 30 to 45

Steep 20 to 30

It is not dependent on whether you have authority or not it is dependent on AOA hence the term flat spin because it is flatter than a normal spin. Sure the control authority may correlate with the flatness of the spin but it by no means defines it.

Pulled from here \/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(aerodynamics)

except that, when you're rotating, there is still air going past the rudder, and extending airbrakes and flaps gives more horizontal stability, any tiny bit of drag helps get out of the flatspin...

so long as the goal is to get the nose pointed down, and airspeed up past safe levels.

try it... test it...

When I went to flight school we were taught by definition a flat spin is a spin you can't recover from.

An airfoil will not generate lift (and resultant drag) if it's maximum angle of attack is exceeded.

I would think having something like vectored thrust would make all the difference.

Eject eject eject, only time you have a chance to recover from a flat spin, is in a plane designed to make flat spins, like some arobatic planes.

Not saying it cant happen, but flying jets, is all about making good desisions, in the right time, and here its Eject

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

still rings true for any aircraft in this dcs sim when in a spin.

F.

He also said, it's not possible to get out of a spin in a Mig-15.

Try it and see.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Eject eject eject, only time you have a chance to recover from a flat spin, is in a plane designed to make flat spins, like some arobatic planes.

Not saying it cant happen, but flying jets, is all about making good desisions, in the right time, and here its Eject

Its actually fairly easy to recover from a flat spin in a twin-engine aircraft. Just apply thrust on the engine opposite to the spin side and idle the other one. Full rudder should be applied as well.

I was able to recover from induced flat spins in the Su-27 and F-15.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]