New release NTTR ???

rickberry49

I have DCS 2.0 and was told, a while back, that NTTR was not compat. Just got the Newsletter and it has a package deal with A10 - NTTR - A10 Red flag... Does this mean that NTTR is now avail for 2.0?

Is 2.0 the logical upgrade to 1.5 or are they functionally different? So why was NTTR released on 1.5 first?

Just trying to understand the modules, and are we good to go with NTTR on 2.0?

NTTR was not released on 1.5 at all, ever. It only works with v2.0, so what exactly are you talking about?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That's my problem/question.... I purchased 2.0 several months ago and I think I talked with DCS technical when the NTTR came out. Somewhere in my feeble mind I remember I was told the NTTR was not supported on 2.0 yet but would be soon. The newsletter appears to confirm that now but the product site is still talking about 2.0 open alpha and NTTR.

I thought I purchased a released version of 2.0 which I thought was the next logical upgrade to 1.5.

You can't buy 2.0, since it is free, so I don't know what you think you bought. Version 2.0 is currently an Alpha release and has never been anything else.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Crap... I just fired up DCS and finally noticed the tiny rev number 1.5.3 duh.... never noticed that before ...

So, can I run NTTR and Caucus or do I need two installs? Perhaps that is what I was told?

Got to go now but thanks for the help and reply to last question....

Good Flying...!!!

You've got it all mixed up. Version 1.5 is the one which works with old, default, free Caucasus map. Version 2.0 is the one which works with payware NTTR map only. Therefore, It has to be used as a separate install on Your PC for the time being. They'll be merged into a single game once again (referred to as future "Ver. 2.5"), but nobody knows when exactly that will happen.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

so if you'd buy nevada map or NTTR you got acess to version 2.0 already which still is in alpha release at the moment.

the stable version 1.5.3 includes only the caucasus map. this one is still free to download.

both versions will be merged to version 2.5 in the near future. (unknown release date!)

then the nevada and future maps will still remain as payware and caucasus will be the free map.

both maps will run on engine 2.5 within the same installation from this time on. until then the installation will be seperate and they may contain bugs.

got it?

Fractal Define R6 | Maximus XI Hero | i7-9700K@5.1GHz | GTX 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | SSD M.2 1TB | VG248QE | TM Hotas Warthog | TrackIR4

DCS F-5E | MiG-21 | A-10C | FC3 | NTTR | F/A-18C

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From an OLD man... thanks....!!! Got it... almost...

I only have about 28 gig left on my SSD and my current install is hitting 23gig...!!! so I guess I'll just have to wait for 2.5 (hope it's soon) and then purchase the NTTR.

OR

How much of a performance hit do you get when running from a mechanical drive vs SSD? Once in Memory I suspect they run the same, it's just getting all that code into memory that I wonder about. I have a 15,000 rpm drive as a bulk data drive that I could use for 2.0.

You mention"If I buy Nevada OR NTTR" ( is NTTR another name for NEVADA OR are they separate Terrains?)

On the website I can only find NEVADA, so I ASS/U/ME the test range is a sub set inside the Nevada package.

If we do create another install dir for 2.0 what is the easiest way to move all the control settings and mods for my A10 to the new 2.0 install? I do use JSGME now in 1.5.

NTTR stands for Nevada Test and Training Range. So yes, they are one and the same.

In addition to the map, there are a couple of DLC campaigns for Red Flag, one featuring the A-10C and one the F-15.#

Keep an eye open for the offers which are run just about every week now. It will be a good move to get a package with NTTR and some other goodies.

You can run DCS World from a mechanical drive, but there will be longer load times. On the plus side of course, you can then have both versions of DCS World. I'd put the NTTR on the mechanical drive, as it is going to be a bigger install anyway, and as of right now, it has less available mission and online content.

Are you also aware that there are 2 versions of the 1.5 DCS World? If you want the updates as early as possible, then just run the Beta version, or if you want the most stable, then opt for the release version.

NTTR is a big download, but the good news is that when the merger arrives with 2.5, you can probably cram it all on your SSD, and any pre-existing files on your system will be copied across automatically.

Enjoy.

From an OLD man... thanks....!!! Got it... almost...

I only have about 28 gig left on my SSD and my current install is hitting 23gig...!!! so I guess I'll just have to wait for 2.5 (hope it's soon) and then purchase the NTTR.

OR

How much of a performance hit do you get when running from a mechanical drive vs SSD? Once in Memory I suspect they run the same, it's just getting all that code into memory that I wonder about. I have a 15,000 rpm drive as a bulk data drive that I could use for 2.0.

You mention"If I buy Nevada OR NTTR" ( is NTTR another name for NEVADA OR are they separate Terrains?)

On the website I can only find NEVADA, so I ASS/U/ME the test range is a sub set inside the Nevada package.

If we do create another install dir for 2.0 what is the easiest way to move all the control settings and mods for my A10 to the new 2.0 install? I do use JSGME now in 1.5.

NTTR = Nevada Test and Training Range

Buy a 256 GB SSD for DCS only. This will do it fine for your two installs.

Can't help with the control settings. But there are threads in this forum. Use the forum search field in the top right corner to find specific threads.

Fractal Define R6 | Maximus XI Hero | i7-9700K@5.1GHz | GTX 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | SSD M.2 1TB | VG248QE | TM Hotas Warthog | TrackIR4

DCS F-5E | MiG-21 | A-10C | FC3 | NTTR | F/A-18C

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NTTR = Nevada Test Training Range

From an HDD to SSD I did notice a significative improvement. Game runs very smooth on SSD

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

Thank you one and all..!!!

I have a 125Gb SSD running DCS 1.5 now ( I finally figured that out ) along with Prepare 3d from Lockheed Martin. Along with my OS (Win 7) that is all I want on that drive.

I guess for now I'll just keep the status quo and continue to learn on 1.5 and the Cauc. and learn to build some QUICK and easy training missions for newbees.

Will add a new SSD for 2.5 and start fresh from there... Thanks again to all for the help and understanding... hope any newbees got something from it as well....

BTW... If you just want to fly around the "Real World" or at least at the last satellite image Google has a flight simulator you can fly around Google Earth. Not even close to DCS or Prepare 3d for function but you can fly over the REAL world from several airports and from any spot you pick on Google earth.. Pretty cool from that perspective.

Looking forward to 2.5... good flying all...!!!

Rick-

NTTR is an abbreviation for "Nevada Test and Training Range." People just say Nevada as shorthand. The map, which costs $49.99 at full price, includes Las Vegas and much of the surrounding area.

To play in this map once you've purchased it, you'll need to download the DCS 2.0 Open Alpha. The installation is about 48GB so you'll definitely need to make some space even if you're waiting for 2.5. You shouldn't notice any huge performance hit running on an HDD vs. SSD.

The A-10C 16-2 Red Flag Campaign is a collection of missions for the A-10C that take place in the Nevada map, purchased separately from the map itself.

You can also find many free user-created missions for the NTTR map in the "Missions and Campaigns" forum here.