GBUs

AstroEma

Ok, let's talk GBU12 or any laser guided bomb.

Was dropping 12 of them around and all worked perfectly.

Then I went to drop the last 3 and could not get any of them on target. The lase was firing - I had auto lase on and Latch On on the TGP - but I missed the targets.

Saw that the lase was firing but just for 2-3 seconds. (L was flashing on the hud)

What could have happened?

Cheers,

E.

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

my tip: stop using autolase and never use it again. Set 'Latch on' in TGP options so you don't have to keep the button pressed) and always do manual lasing (I switch on the laser about 12-8 sec before impact). Never had a problem then

You've never had a problem, but what is good for you doesn't mean it is good for someone else. I personally like to use autolase, when I am doing so many things at the same time, autolase is the best for me, when I need to do for example buddy lasing and also drop GBU-12 from my plane, of course, I'll use it manually, but everything depends on each person. (Also it depends on the situation as well, I had a few times where the manual laser was the best option) ;)

If you drop from too low (under 6000FTish) the bomb will not find the laser in time and fall short. Bunyap has a video on this.

I never use autolase, I've had too many problems with it, the laser is set to latch and I manually lase, no need for profiles or any of that nonsense.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say you're lasing for too long causing the bomb to fall short, I've tried and tried, you cannot lase for too long in DCS, nor will the laser burn out in the A-10C, you can only be too low.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say you're lasing for too long causing the bomb to fall short, I've tried and tried, you cannot lase for too long in DCS, nor will the laser burn out in the A-10C, you can only be too low.

Yup. I used to be one of those people, until one topic where it was all discussed quite thoroughly. IIRC, the upshot was that lasing for too long can cause short bombs, but only when deployed by faster/higher airframes. The A-10's typical airspeed and altitude during GBU deployment (or anytime, really) are simply too low for this to be a problem.

dcs_sig.jpg

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your help in this. Gives me some thoughts I can try out next time!

Another question is this: What if I have a cluster of targets (4 tanks for example) that are spaced out too far to be reached by a CBU97.

Can I mark each of the target and deploy a GBU 12 for each target, in a single pass?

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your help in this. Gives me some thoughts I can try out next time!

Another question is this: What if I have a cluster of targets (4 tanks for example) that are spaced out too far to be reached by a CBU97.

Can I mark each of the target and deploy a GBU 12 for each target, in a single pass?

No. You need to lase the target for a good 10 seconds for the bomb to adjust and track the target. By the time you can get another bomb off it will be too late. For hitting several targets on one pass use Gbu-38s and mark points.

For hitting several targets on one pass use Gbu-38s and mark points.

I agree, good advice.

Something to be aware of, though: If the targets are mobile (vehicles), it's possible they start to move as soon as the first one gets hit, especially if they belong to the same group (as defined by the mission creator). In turn, all GBU-38 after the first might miss. If I'm unsure about this, have enough time and don't want to risk wasting the ammo, I'd rather fly several attacks.

And if I have enough of them, I always prefer LGBs for vehicles - while the target might be stationary at the time I release the bomb, there's always a chance they start to move during the bomb's flight time of roughly between 20 and 40 seconds, depending on altitude. With LGBs, chances are I'll hit them anyway. :thumbup:

@AstroEma...

There's a great YouTube video by ExcessiveHeadspace that goes thru the process of dropping 3 GBU-38's on 3 targets in a single pass. I tried it and it is an awesome trick to learn. He explains it quite well, including using a separate Flight Plan.

After a couple of attempts and more fully understanding the method I was killing clusters of tanks and BMPs with 2 GBU-31 dropped withing 2-3 seconds of each other. Devastating, but beautiful :)

Two important points you need to take away from this video is Altitude & TGP Standby Mode.

'We don't need no stinkin' laser'

[ame]

[/ame]

Enjoy

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

With regard to your laser stops firing, what was your airspeed?

If you have you flaps in MV and drop air speed too low they will deploy. Deployed flaps will cause the laser to stop firing similar to the AGM's wont launch with flaps down.

Whether flaps-laser is RL behaviour I don not know.

Cheers

Hans

• Like 1

@Remarkymarkable,

Does the weight of the bomb make a difference?

A difference in what, gravity is gravity. Everything falls at the same accelerating rate (9.8 m/s ^2 or 32 ft per second-per second).

An 8 lb bowling ball falls at the same rate as a 2,000 lb GBU-10. But the available Force when they hit your after falling 6,000 ft is slightly different.

You wouldn't even need the boom :)

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

With regard to your laser stops firing, what was your airspeed?

If you have you flaps in MV and drop air speed too low they will deploy. Deployed flaps will cause the laser to stop firing similar to the AGM's wont launch with flaps down.

Whether flaps-laser is RL behaviour I don not know.

Cheers

Hans

Never heard of that; could you indicate that somewhere in the manual? I DO know the fact that you get a FLAPS warning in the MFCD while using AGM's, but that's merely to indicate that when firing (and maybe it isn't even possible to fire) you would damage the flaps..

Nope never found that part in the manual. It's based on what I have experienced over time.

Just made this small test;

Just tested. It's not possible to launch an AGM when having flaps deployed. There is a launch interlock.

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo
Additional info added.

I agree; it's not possible to fire an AGM while flaps are down. However, stated is " Deployed flaps will cause the laser to stop firing". That's something else, and that's something that I don't recognize. Will test also.

Excellent Sir, I will look forward to hear your test result. Will be interested in hearing what else is causing it as the only thing I am doing to the aircraft in the YT is to set the flaps into MV position.

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo

I actually always use autolase when I'm self lasing the gbu's.

'Latch on' is indeed a good method to make sure that the LASER is on during the whole weapons delivery. But when buddy lasing or marking with the LASER, I prefer latch off. It makes you more aware of the fact that it's on (keeping the button pressed), and prevents unnecessary LASER usage.

my tip: stop using autolase and never use it again. Set 'Latch on' in TGPx options so you don't have to keep the button pressed) and always do manual lasing (I switch on the laser about 12-8 sec before impact). Never had a problem then

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

One thing I found out the hard way is setting your autolase and lase time via individual stations, vs setting vs the profile page.

If you set via individual stations, if you flip through the master modes menu, the stations will all revert to the default autolase OFF mode.

So when you're setting autolase, do it through the profile page, and be sure to save it. Then when you are selecting your weapons to fire, do it through the profile page rather than selecting each station/pylon individually. This cured my problems.

If you're still having issues, make sure you are high enough and fast enough for the bomb to hit the target. Too low to the ground and it will miss.