Tower

bob_baer

Not sure I'm understanding what to do when declaring approach. Tower tell me to go heading 300 for 10. How do I measure 10 miles?! Do I simply go straight and have to wait for clearance to land?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Good question - I didn't manage to figure out how to do it precisely. Assuming that the ATC gives the directions to intercept the approach slope and I want to follow it than I:

- turn towards heading as instructed by ATC

- setup the TACAN frequency for the airport (and ILS)

- set course (CSP) on HSI according to the runway heading

- start turning towards course set on HSI when course deviation (CDI) is close to zero (aligned with CSP). At this point alt should be 1500 feet.

This however works provided that there is a TACAN station on the airport. Otherwise I just turn towards the runway visually.

Some reading:

http://stm.laartcc.org/Special+Military+Procedures

http://www.352ndfg.com/vb/content.php?205

[ame]http://www.cafutahwing.org/uploads/1/0/8/2/10827645/formation_pt-17_part-2.pdf[/ame]

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

The tower gives you the coordinates to the return point. That is some point, ~20 miles away from the runway, where you can begin a perfect approach.

If he says: "Fly heading 300 for 10 miles" then you simply fly 300° for 10 miles.

At that point you should align yourself with the runway heading, let's say 70°.

You can measure the correct distance, for example via the offset page or the TAD (cursor <-> own, move the cursor in the correct direction for 11 miles, create markpoint).

Aim for about 2500 feet at ~200 mph at the return point. If you then fly towards the runway you should intercept the ILS glide slope after some time.

"Checklist":

- Call inbound

- Fly towards the return point (received by ATC), set HSI to TACAN and desired course to runway heading, aim for 2500 feet at 200 mph

- Intercept the return point with the aid of the HSI (TACAN radial)

- Align with the TACAN signal (runway heading)

- Enable ILS and wait for glide slope signal

- Land

Edited by Zabuza

• 2 weeks later...
The tower gives you the coordinates to the return point. That is some point, ~20 miles away from the runway, where you can begin a perfect approach.

If he says: "Fly heading 300 for 10 miles" then you simply fly 300° for 10 miles.

At that point you should align yourself with the runway heading, let's say 70°.

You can measure the correct distance, for example via the offset page or the TAD (cursor <-> own, move the cursor in the correct direction for 11 miles, create markpoint).

Aim for about 2500 feet at ~200 mph at the return point. If you then fly towards the runway you should intercept the ILS glide slope after some time.

"Checklist":

- Call inbound

- Fly towards the return point (received by ATC), set HSI to TACAN and desired course to runway heading, aim for 2500 feet at 200 mph

- Land

You may want to inform the tower at some point that you'd like to land .

Yeah, between the last two points.

- Call 'Inbound'

- Call 'Landing'

- Land

Nice time chart:thumbup: and a great share +1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Great chart, but I'd create own markpoints and waypoints using the TAD. Far more flexible. At least if you are familiar with the TAD.

Set to "Cursor <> Own", move the cursor. Distance is displayed on the TAD, move until it reads 10nm and create a markpoint etc.