FPS and Mi-8: your experience?

FPS and Mi-8: your experience?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. FPS and Mi-8: your experience?

• YES! Got an even better framerate with Mi-8 than with other modules
    • NO. Can't see any difference.
    • YES. I have a slightly lower fps but it is not a big deal.
    • YES. Mi-8 is hitting real hard on my fps. Not a pleasant experience.

My experience is that after some auto-updater updates, my fps goes down. Some modules more then other.

If I do a all new install with the newest versions downloaded from the dcs site, it's all good again. World + Modules

For example p51 inside cockpit around 27 - 32 fps, after a new install 45 - 50 fps again.

Don't know why but for me that works. Could be the same with the Mi-8.

Cheers

Nils

Hello, guys.

Not that I've done some serious testing, but when sitting in the cockpit, there's no noticeable difference I can speak of. My frame rate sits at its 30FPS limit most of the time, except when looking at some busy scenes - just like in the Huey.

However, there's always however.

Looking at the Hip from close-up external view, my FPS drops to some 25-22. Yes, I have higher FPS in cockpit than outside! :huh:

Flying with another Hip in close formation, or landing next to it, same thing. Turning off the heat blur, as well as switching off all the external lights, no noticeable improvement. Only reason I can think of is a high poly count of the Mi-8 external model.

Which leads me towards interesting conclusion. I can have all the fancy stuff switched on in DCS, like shadows, water reflections, heat blur, hell even mirrors, and still get decent FPS. But putting one high-poly object in front of the camera ruins my FPS no matter how low I set everything else.

Isn't that weird?

Seriously , some of you guy put up with under 20fps in DCS World?

That really sucks.

You get used to it. 20 Is actually pretty smooth. At 24 FPS the human eye can not see frames anymore. So 24 FPS looks the same as 100FPS.

It gets annoying below 15 FPS.

'Frett'

I placed one Mi-8 in the ME once loaded the frames were at there highest 50 down to 25 when I looked at a certain building while in the cockpit changing to the F2 view gave me 30-40 frames so not sure the model is really the issue here.

As this is just like the Huey for me so not a big change it just feels like 1.2.6 when running a real mission or being on multi player doesn't cut it that well. :helpsmilie:

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

You get used to it. 20 Is actually pretty smooth. At 24 FPS the human eye can not see frames anymore. So 24 FPS looks the same as 100FPS.

It gets annoying below 15 FPS.

This is measurably untrue. Your eyes don't have a refresh rate, they are able to distinguish smooth transitions and non-smooth transitions from one image to the next. Most people start to top out at around 140fps, not 24.

A stable 20fps might appear 'better' than a fluctuating between 40 and 20 but a stable 60 (or 120 if you have a 120hz monitor) is optimal (although hard to get in DCS)

TV shows are at 24fps (NTSC) or 25fps (PAL) but they appear smooth because the frame transition is smoothed or blurred.

Let me put it differently then.

Your brain perceives anything above 24FPS as 'fluid'. You're not going to notice a significant difference between 25FPS and 50FPS.

That depends. If the transitions are fluid you won't see a difference. You can have 100-150 FPS but if it's fluctiation isn't fluid you will have a bad experience. Also, if you only have 20-30 FPS but the fluctuations are smooth you will have a perfect time.

That depends. If the transitions are fluid you won't see a difference. You can have 100-150 FPS but if it's fluctiation isn't fluid you will have a bad experience. Also, if you only have 20-30 FPS but the fluctuations are smooth you will have a perfect time.

If I'm comparing 25FPS with 50FPS I consider all other variables as constant ofc.

'Frett'

30fps makes most games unplayable for me. The moment is too jerky. I can just about put up with 20fps in this game, but I feel really uncomfortable with it. I'd love to see this engine throwing out >60.

FPS games - 60fps minimum. Anything under that is a waste of time.

Best way to test if you can see any difference between 20/60/100 fps is to run games locked at that rate, then rotate the camera around as quickly as possible. You'll almost certainly notice the difference.

Edit -Track IR is horrible at low FPS as the screen refreshes too slowly to use it properly. Thats my main problem with low fps in DCS.

I suggest you go play some fast paced game (first person shooter preferably) locked on 25 frames and tell me how "smooth" it is compared to 50 or even more fps. ;)

/edit. Or in DCS, pick a fast mover or SU-25T at least (lower the graphics to get 60 fps if you don't have a powerful PC) and fly as fast as possible at low altitude. Then lock your frames with some external limiter to 25. Faster the scene, more noticeable the difference is. This myth about "human eye see this fps" is very very wrong.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

I have a serious FPS hit with the Mi8.

Or is it the 1.2.6 I don't know, didn't test any other module.

But I think its the Mi8 because if I have some AI Mi8s flying around and I look in there direction then the FPS make a pretty hard drop.

I have a ATI HD5970 OC to 4Ghz and I7 -920 OC 4Ghz and 12 Gb of DDR3 Ram 1600Mhz.

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

Selfmade Alu Rail 4080 mounts

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Virpil 100mm extension + Virpil VFX + TM F/A-18 Stick

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

Guys, I have done FPS testing for 1 month (using tester versions every update) and it is true that Mi-8 has lowest FPS of all modules (on my PC anyway - where I use 3 monitors),

Lot of you will say you don't see any difference... well that depends what setting you use (if you use 1 screen and good video and CPU and you get good FPS in any aircraft, you won't notice lower FPS because it will still be good enough not to complain) but if you are running few monitors it will have FPS hit with any aircraft, and it will show even more with aircraft that use the most FPS.

I made post few weeks ago showing FPS comparison I get during this testing... Mi-8 is the lowest, then Su-27, then UH-1H and so on...

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

• ED Team
Wanted to know if the initial release of this chopper is hitting as hard your FPS as for me. Use to fly at 18 to 25 fps. Mi-8 is leaving me with a constant 8 to 10 fps (SP and MP). Barely playable. At least not very pleasant experience. :cry:

My PC is configured:

i5 2500k @3.7 Ghz, 16 Gb DDR3 1600, GeForce GTX 660Ti

FPS result (Krymsk) (see screen)=35..36 (w\o mirrors - 41..42)

1963458781_SetUp_GrafTuneGPU.thumb.png.d59b718cbb3de3d2677233167265974b.png

FPS_.thumb.jpg.ad4606ab4932cac863c4b65d5c7e4a69.jpg

I've got my FPS locked at 30 and pretty much never go below it, regardless of what I'm flying.

My specs:

i7-2600K @ 4.6 GHz

16 GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GTX580

Win7 64bit

Corsair SSD

AC installed:

Ka-50

P-51D

Mi-8

UH-1H

A-10C

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I suggest you go play some fast paced game (first person shooter preferably) locked on 25 frames and tell me how "smooth" it is compared to 50 or even more fps. ;)

/edit. Or in DCS, pick a fast mover or SU-25T at least (lower the graphics to get 60 fps if you don't have a powerful PC) and fly as fast as possible at low altitude. Then lock your frames with some external limiter to 25. Faster the scene, more noticeable the difference is. This myth about "human eye see this fps" is very very wrong.

Battlefield 3. 25FPS. No problem.

'Frett'