Is TRACKIR 5 A Must for DCS?

I've had a version of the TrackIR for the last 8 years or so and I wouldn't fly without it either. For me, it is a must! It's like flying without a HOTAS.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Yep, its like crack. Once your on it, you can't get off.

Seriously though. I find my situational awareness goes way up simply because I'm not moving another hat, I'm intuitively doing what I would normally do.

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

i hate the fact that i bought my trackir last year for so much money , a device from 2009 and price didnt drop a bit.

that being said, unlike other cheaper alternatives (not free, you need to buy/build hardware) the trackir simply works and works great.

i could not go back to flying without it.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

very accurate head tracking that always works.

It gives a real situational awareness boost.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

No, TrackIR 4 works fine too.

In all seriousness though, once you've used head tracking in a sim, you can't go back without feeling frustrated by its absence. Check out freetrack or facetracknoir if you're on a tight budget, but trackir 5 works out of the box and from what I understand does a better job than the alternatives. A well worthy investment, you wont regret it.

At the risk of being attacked, I'm going to say no. It is great, but depends what you want to fly. WWII aircraft doing dogfights? Yes, probably track Ir is key. F15 sead or bvr? It becomes much less critical. A-10 depends on the mission and how much you like gauges and the tgp. I've just switched to 4k and am surprised to find trackir off and a wide zoom angle being a frequently used config lately.

it's not a huge investment, and if you are serious about simming you will get one sooner or later. If you are afraid dcs is unplayable without one, I say no.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

A must? No.

Unbelievably useful? Yes.

It's kind of like owning a car in a major city.

Do you absolutely need one? Nope - you can actually do everything just using public transit. It's just 20x harder.

Same with TrackIR (or any other head tracking system) and DCS.

The only thing that could make me give up TrackIR is a version of the Oculus Rift that was good enough to read instruments and spot targets.

That's a good analogy. Except in Manhattan where a car is a liability! :)

But even today, after using Rift, you realize how limiting TrackIR is. It's like everything else, I suppose; once you upgrade to the "next higher model" there's just no going back!

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hey there! This is finally my first post.

I also thought about buying TrackIR but wasn't sure because I wanted to wait for the RIFT.

When I was looking for a low budget alternative I stumbled over opentrack, which seems to

have massively progressed over the past few months so I gave it a try. I'm using it for a

week now and it works great. Definitely not going to buy TrackIR anymore.

My configuration consists of an old Samsung Galaxy SII smart phone strapped to my

Headset which is in flight mode and connected to my system via USB. Bluetooth or WiFi

would also be possible but for connectivity and meltin-my-brain-with-radiation reasons I

chose USB.

Even though it may not be as sophisticated as TrackIR it's for free and worth a try.

If anyone needs help configuring it or needs a profile feel free to ask me.

Here is the tutorial I followed to set it up: (It's not me in the video)

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/Smartphone-Headtracking

i have built some controllers and switch boxes, but i can never get into trackIR.

i worked with both the PS3eye with facetracknoIR and trackIR4.

as many times i tried to get use to it, i cant. i need 1:1 for one translation.

i tried many curves and profile, and i do know whats going on when i change the tracking tables, i just find it so unnatural, dont like it.

i will wait for the oculus rift.

in the mean time, i am trying to sell my trackIR 4.

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I've been using FTNoIR for a while now. At first I was using only face tracking with webcam app on my smartphone. I was blown away at the accuracy. Occasionally it would lose track, setup was a hassle and having a beard or any facial hair ruins the face detection. So, I went out and bought a PS3 Eye Toy. Using face-tracking the PS3 camera was actually worse than the smartphone webcam app. I decided to give IR a shot and Macgyver my own 3-point IR tracker for less than 10 dollars in parts from radio shack. Even with 940nm IR LED's the tracking was basically impossible due to the IR filter in the PS3 camera. (at least on my version)

Moving forward, I decided to remove the IR filter from the camera. After a frustrating few hours I had the filter removed and had the camera reassembled. Not a single spec of dirt on the imager! I picked up my IR tracker, aimed it at the camera and... the image looked like a glaucoma patient's vision. It was extremely washed out, distorted, and totally useless for tracking anything.

Upon further inspection I realized the focal point of the camera had shifted, by a huge amount. The image would focus crystal clear, only approximately 3 inches from the lens. Googling turned up some pretty insane countermeasures and most insisted it was a lost cause. After deep meditation, I realized that the removal of the IR filter had upset the focal length and the solution was simple. Either move the lense assembly forward or backward from the imager. Reluctantly, I disassembled the camera again but left it plugged into the computer. I tried shimming the lense slightly outward and realized the focal point was only getting closer. So, I grabbed a piece of 800 grit sand paper and very, very cautiously sanded the base of the lense housing, frequently checking the focal point. It didn't require much sanding at all and voila! It was fixed, objects on the other side of my room were in focus. Now I could finally try my IR tracker that had been collecting dust.

Honestly, there is no comparison. Point tracking is incredible. Face Tracking is very impressive and will preview the feeling of immersion and added SA. Unfortunately, without stereoscopic cameras, face-tracking can't hold a match to IR point tracking. It is extremely intuitive, you look in the direction you want and thats it. It's like trying to convince someone in the not too distant past why they need the internet or a smartphone. Until you try it, you'll never understand.

For me, I couldn't play without it.

It can be used in a large range of simulation games and I am happy with the purchase price considering how much usage I will continue to have with it.

The immersion you get by being able to move your head and look around the cockpit is unlike any other.

The only thing that will trump it in the future will be the occulus rift virtual reality glasses.

TrackIR is -- simply put -- amazing. I only recently got myself one, and I have to say it was a huge eye-opener and huge paradigm shift from using other means of looking around the cockpit. :)

So yes, get one. You won't regret it.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Got mine just a few days ago, it went like this:

unpack - plug in - play - JAW DROP !!!!!

Not even 5 minutes from unpacking to calling the dentist :)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

it's true, trackIR isn't natural feeling, but is looking around with a HAT switch how you look around naturally in real life?

after you've gotten used to trackIR, its the most important input device you'll have, situational awareness is, next to speed, life.

I have an oculus rift, and trackIR is easier to look around with than looking around the way you do in real life....

it's like... what's easier to do? if you could move your head 18 degrees to look behind you (trackIR) or had to move it 180 degrees like an owl to look behind you (oculus rift)?

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As someone who also recently aquired one, TrackIR is by far the best peripheral I have used for simming. Yes, I would put it even above the joystick. Im still getting used to it, one thing I have to get to grips with and start using is the pause button. It's much more practical in a full DCS module where you frequently have to concentrate on different panels and switches, and 'pause' is much more forgiving on my poor neck :)

So yes. TrackIR == Must have device.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I couldn't go back to playing without head tracking.. no no no no no no...

I built my own (spent loads on other DCS imrovements b4 xmas) and while it probably isn't as stable as an out of the box TIR, it works well enough for me.

Like a lot of people, I'm waiting on the Rift.

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly: