"The Warthog Lives"

pdmarsh

:thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

The article definitely has its ax to grind, and while I agree with its overall message its clearly slanted on one side of the issue and really mostly speaks to the choir.

The bit about redefining CAS dishonestly feels a bit off to me. Seems more like the author should have pointed out all the dishonest bureaucratic methods used to divest the A-10 of its role on the battlefield, such as how its missions are recorded to skew statistics on its use or denying the option to request A-10s even if they're on the field.

There's clearly a campaign by the Air Force to manipulate the image of things to favour removing the airframe, but I think the article misses the mark somewhat in how it goes about identifying this.

Still, hard to argue with the tone too much. It rings true even if the facts are a bit off.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

First, thanks to all for commenting in this post.

Regarding...

There's clearly a campaign by the Air Force to manipulate the image of things to favour removing the airframe...

This certainly does seem to be the case. I imagine most folks here, at least in the U.S., have heard about the following, but if it was missed:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/28/general-alleged-treason-remark-probed-by-air-force/

Granted this is an alleged act, but it has a ring of truth to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/28/general-alleged-treason-remark-probed-by-air-force/

Granted this is an alleged act, but it has a ring of truth to me.

Forces personnel are not free to pass information (of a majority of classifications ) into the public domain on weapon systems. Note there is no mention of the information classification that was alleged to be being passed to people that likely have no right to have it.

Please be aware that anything in this regards from a trashy news agency isn't worth the pixels or paper it is written on and is not a credible source for anything - it is purposely spun to get you to read it.

I'm not seeing anything Fox News is saying contradicted in other similar reports by sources that are harder to ape on.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/air-force-probing-alleged-treason-remark-general-28553046

That's no different to other non source.

If information of a certain classification (currently unknown ) was given over when it should not have been then the alleged comments might actually be justified.

You're speculating. You have no reason to say that based on current information. If anything the current allegations go so far as to characterize the General's comments as being not related to security and instead to the notion that its treason for Air Force service personnel to say things to Congress that subverts their budget priorities, which is clearly not treason in a legal sense.

This is based on whats been allegedly said. There's no allegation to characterize things as being the General concerned that service members are giving secrets away.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

If anything the current allegations go so far as to characterize the General's comments as being not related to security and instead to the notion that its treason for Air Force service personnel to say things to Congress that subverts their budget priorities, which is clearly not treason in a legal sense.

That is exactly the way it has been spun sure - that doesn't mean it has anything to do with what actually happened - or whether the comment has been taken out of context.

How about they wait until some actual information on the outcome is released then tell me where it came from..............that would make a change.

That is exactly the way it has been spun sure - that doesn't mean it has anything to do with what actually happened - or whether the comment has been taken out of context.

How about they wait until some actual information on the outcome is released then tell me where it came from..............that would make a change.

And from the Air force:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/tech/2015/01/27/pogo-fire-post-treason-a10/22414693/

"Air Combat Command said in a statement that Post's "use of hyperbole" was intended to prove a point, and not to restrict airmen from communicating with members of Congress."

That is pretty much confirming what he said, and strongly implying that it wasn't about "secret" information, as it would not be hyperbole to say someone giving away real secrets was committing treason.

Honestly, I think the airforce brass wanting to kill off the A-10 has nothing to do with the A-10 itself. Instead, they want to discontinue the close air support mission. I think they view the airforce as a pure air supremacy and strategic bombing force. With that mind set, front line bombers and attack helicopters serve no purpose. The problem is, the army and congress disagree with that view of what the airforce should be. Hence this little charade about the A-10's usefulness every time the budget is examined.

I think the reason the airforce doesn't just come out and say they don't want to be doing CAS at all is due to budget concerns. If they kill the A-10 by claiming it isn't cost effective, then they can use that money for more F-35's which have zero CAS value. If they say they don't want to do CAS at all and that it's the army's job, then that saved money gets sent to the army so they can fly A-10's or something similar to pick up the slack.

Basher, we're not talking about the right to release classified information to the public. The claim was that the officers were not to talk to Congressional representatives regarding capabilities (most of which is unclassified). There are a number of abridgements to Constitutional rights that every serviceman or woman accepts upon enlistment/commission, but the right to talk to your representative is not one of them.

And your slander of a major news agency doesn't add gravitas to your argument, regardless of one's political leanings.

Edited by Home Fries

"Air Combat Command said in a statement that Post's "use of hyperbole" was intended to prove a point, and not to restrict airmen from communicating with members of Congress."

That's rich. Anybody who wears a uniform assumes at their own peril that a General is being hyperbolic.