New builder -- so many decisions

wingsuit

Bit of a combined introduction and some basic questions. I've started accumulating parts for my new sim room ( so far just a warthog and picked up slaw's new viper pedals) but pretty soon will have to start making decisions on the layout itself for when I start desk building.

I'm in awe of some of the pits posted here and it's inspired me to go more in depth than just setting up my computer room for sims. I'm a long term aviation nerd (probably invoked at a young age with how many pilots are in my family) and a cool looking cockpit just ads so much.

Problem for me is I like everything from wwii to modern to space sims so at this point I'm thinking about designing a pit that has the look and feel of something modern with gauges and switches that I try and provide panels for some common themes required in aircraft management.

I'm hoping this compromise will still allow for some systems management without having to hit a keyboard or deal with a mouse. Something so much more immersive of reaching over and flipping a switch.

Plans right now are for a 180 curved screen dual projector setup, and build a desk around the screen. I'm in the visual fx business so mocking up a 3D representation is the easy part. Deciding how heavily to get invested in CNc machines and other tools is the hard part ;)

I'm curious what you builders went through to decide what you would build? Seems most builders that go in depth are recreating an existing cockpit. Makes sense as you can replicate what's in the sim with the goal for 1 to 1 switches. I haven't seen too many built up pits trying for a cross aircraft or cross game functionality.

Looking forward to reading the forums to try and figure out how the hell to accomplish what currently only exists in my head.

Here's an example of some old aviation work. Lancaster was modelled and textured in the livery of my grandfathers wwii squadron the 424th. Piccadilly princess

smalltest.jpg

I had ambitions to produce a cockpit based on a single prototype, but the arrival of VR is now making me think of going down an entirely different route, perhaps with switches loctated in their proper place, providing feel, without the need for the cosmetics?

It's a tough call, deciding what to do, because once it is done - at great expense - there is a permanence to it that will be very difficult to change later.

I've been sitting on the fence for over a year, and I'm still no closer to a decision!

Yeah vr is great. I use my Dk2 with elite dangerous and it's amazing. I can see this generation being amazing for games built for vr. For Dcs I'm worried that spotting a tank or aircraft that seems 2 pixels even on my good monitor will still make it hard for Dcs as it currently stands.

Which is why my current plan is looking at a curved screen. Current projectors let you project in 3D so you can use with 3D glasses, and with track ir you are getting close to vr immersive. Not as immersive for sure, I'm not making that argument. But close and still affording a higher resolution screen and look down and still see your keyboard/ any button boxes you've made.

In game tracking is getting great for vr and the handheld controls they are producing, but sims face an extra problem as you want to be holding onto a Hotas and then release that to find a switch. I think that's a problem that will take some time to solve.

I think the current generation will be great for games like elite dangerous, war thunder etc where you can map everything you need to a Hotas, but will take another generation for games as in depth as Dcs. Just my take anyway.

I had ambitions to produce a cockpit based on a single prototype, but the arrival of VR is now making me think of going down an entirely different route, perhaps with switches loctated in their proper place, providing feel, without the need for the cosmetics?

It's a tough call, deciding what to do, because once it is done - at great expense - there is a permanence to it that will be very difficult to change later.

I've been sitting on the fence for over a year, and I'm still no closer to a decision!

Agree Neil, it's why my pits are based on the feel of sitting in a real ejection seat (strapped in too) and then only having the basics around. The only thing I would love to have is a really solid, working USB attached Landing Gear selector. At present, just use the LG Wrn Silence on the Warthog throttle. Anyone developing a solid robust easy to install / setup landing gear selector?

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908