Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

Many thanks Necroscope ! - this points me in the right direction to change the Huey views individually.

BTW:

There is a new RC in the works that exchanges the Su-33 pit:

Is there anyway to mod the Su27 pit into the Su33? I don't mind if there is small part of functionality broken, it's worth it for the better looks. I'm not very good at this modding thing... has anyone figured it out? or is it even possible?

Yes , and it's very easy.

But the cockpit position is a little off-set so I will work today out the right values and integrate it in this mod: Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

So look out for a new RC release within the next 8houers and examine the change-log.

In the meantime follow this simple instruction:

su33pit_zpsb308cecf.jpg

Up to now I didn't found a lot time to test it for possible bugs - but if it works like it should:

Question:

Is there any good reason why I should leave the Su-33 pit in this mod like it is?

IF so - please tell why.

Maybe you can also help me to find the right cockpit position that is defined in the Server.lua in the Su-33 entry - so I can devote more time for my daughter today :).

Edit:

Camera view settings that I'm happy with - but I'm open fore more tweaking.

Edit:

\DCS World\Config\View\Server.lua

And replace the Su-33 values with this one:

Line #290

ViewSettings["Su-33"] = {

Cockpit = {

[1] = {-- player slot 1

CockpitLocalPoint = {7.98,1.48,0.0},

CameraViewAngleLimits = GlobalCameraViewAngleLimits,

CameraAngleRestriction = GlobalCameraAngleRestriction,

CameraAngleLimits = GlobalCameraAngleLimits,

EyePoint = GlobalEyePoint,

limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.08,0.360},y ={-0.17,0.08},z = {-0.17,0.17},roll = 90.000000},

Edited by PeterP

I want to fly the F-16a with the F-15 3d pit, so I entered the line Cockpit_F-16A.edm. It works, but the cockpit and the HUD look a bit displaced.

In the server.lua I entered the same entry as for the F-15C

ViewSettings["F-16A"] = {

Cockpit = {

[1] = {-- player slot 1

CockpitLocalPoint = {6.210000,1.204000,0.000000},

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,140.000000},

CameraAngleRestriction = {false,90.000000,0.400000},

CameraAngleLimits = {140.000000,-80.000000,90.000000},

EyePoint = {0.050000,0.000000,0.000000},

limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.050000,0.450000},y ={-0.200000,0.200000},z = {-0.220000,0.220000},roll = 90.000000},

},

}, -- Cockpit

Chase = {

LocalPoint = {2.510000,3.604000,0.000000},

AnglesDefault = {180.000000,-8.000000},

}, -- Chase

Arcade = {

LocalPoint = {-13.790000,6.204000,0.000000},

AnglesDefault = {0.000000,-8.000000},

}, -- Arcade

but it doesn´t work. What did I wrong

Edited by Jerec

Jerec - this is a question that belong in another thread and/or a appropriate one.

Maybe this thread is the place to ask me , but please don't expect me to discuss this further in this thread. - its cluttered more than enough how it is.

;)

1.2.4-RC 2.11 is up!

------------------------------------------------

Change-log:

1.2.4-RC 2 -> 1.2.4-RC 2.11

-Edited Readme

-Changed files so you can use the default Su-33 cockpit

-Added Un-Install instructions

-Changed initial Huey Pilot view when entering the cockpit - higher FOV

1.2.4-RC 1.03 -> 1.2.4-RC 2

-Four different 'flavours' for each possible module combination

-Huey: Reworked Pilot view without tilted sight - gunner views have new limits without gun-collision

-FC3: Su-33 will have the fully 3D Su-27 cockpit. Attention ! The Su-33 cockpit will have no tail-hook and glide-scoop indicator!

1.2.4-RC1 -> 1.2.4-RC 1.03

Some changes to the readme and reducing the initial FOV when entering the the Ka-50

------------------------------------------------

Revisit post #1 for the download-link

Read the Readme !

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Thank you kindly for these updates. Like them a lot more than your previous mod though I find myself having to move my seat now which is no problem.

I've changed the default view to include the MFCDs as its too difficult having to glance down all the time, and in doing so have had to move the seat all the way UP to ensure the HUD is still centered. However each time I start a new mission, it zooms me all the way out though still keeps the same angles so I just have to zoom back in.

Question:

A) Can the seat height be edited/saved?

B) Any ideas on why i get zoomed all the way out despite already setting and saving the new default views?

Thanks again for your work!

• Like 1

Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudders | Logitech G27 | Astro A40

A) Yes - Please read the read-me again ...

, especially the part that follows after this:

You should really have a look how to customize your own default cockpit view when using this files.

(But leave the Huey as it is - only change FOV - and the vertical view angle - as moving the view will mess up the gunner views/flexible sight )

(...)

(No! don't take only a glance at it - I mean it : Read it! It has a lot of useful info that goes beyond the installation procedure - I didn't wrote it just to use up my keyboard...Sorry if this sounds harsh - but it is not only directed to you - I'm just not in the mood to write things down again that are already written down and talked X times in this thread and also linked in post #1)

You may want to revisit post #1, as the Readme is quoted there also and it has some text in bold and a colour-code for important stuff.

B) Have a read in this thread : Start of Mission Zoom Effect + Track IR

Look out of Vipers and my posts to get the most usefull info.

To make it short: Get used to hit once NumEnter when you entered the pit/after the initial zoom stooped.

Tip: I use NumEnter+Num5 for TrackIR center and its triggered by my paddle switch when I hold it longer than 1sceond.

Edited by PeterP

Thanks for the quick response and no offense taken. I've read and re-read your readme a few times but maybe I need to read it again!

... Or leave it for tomorrow as it just ticked over 12am here.

Appreciate all the work.

Cheers

UPDATE: Have got this mod to work right after re-reading your readme and readjusting my views. Absolutely fantastic. Thanks again!

Edited by NhiTrac

Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudders | Logitech G27 | Astro A40

Hello Peter,

After installing the files in the right places I wasn't happy about it. But I was working with my mouse and didn't test it with TrackIR. But when I did try to test with my TrackIR it doesn't work anymore. In which file can I turn it on?

?? - I didn't altered any files that are responsible with the mouse/cockpit behaviour. - please check your installation and the integrity of your settings and of DCS.

If you want to have me a closer look you should be also a little clearer on your 'bug-report'.

Please define these phrase much more clearer so I can re-do what you did step for step:

After installing the files in - what files?

it doesn't work anymore - what exactly didn't worked? / in which module ?

In which file can I turn it on? - what you want to turn on?

So, just to reiterate, do I need to set up my custom views now, we're as last time they were already set up?

I don't know - as I know nothing about your visuals system/screen-setup

If you where always happy with the Default 1.2.4 snap views you should be good to use this files without re-editing your views afterwards.

Please follow the first postings in this thread (conversation with GregP) - its all still valid for the 1.2.4 mod.

Edited by PeterP

Well TrackIR doesn't work anymore. And your files for getting better view in the cockpit. And I believe there was a file that you can edit to turn on trackir.

Before I used your settings I could use trackir!

AnywayI find your settings not good only when you looking forward but when looking left or right everything is stretched out and that isn't realistic looking.

Well TrackIR doesn't work anymore. And your files for getting better view in the cockpit. And I believe there was a file that you can edit to turn on trackir.

Before I used your settings I could use trackir!

AnywayI find your settings not good only when you looking forward but when looking left or right everything is stretched out and that isn't realistic looking.

Thanks for your detailed info!

There is no file that you have to edit to use a TrackIR - it works by default, and with this mod too.

Well , fine - just don't use this mod.

The 'only' things this mod does is to redefine your eye-position to your pivot point and readjust your cockpit-limits to take this into account. - and it also swaps the default Su-33 pit to the new full 3D Su-27 pit if you choose this option. And it also alows you to save own snap-views without to make a file edit beforehand.

-Stretched view ? - reads like a too big FOV in conjunction to your (real)head position to your monitor. - this is in your own hands and I'm not responsible for it.

BTW: When you put on a 90° FOV in the sim but your monitor in front of you only covers 40° of your real view , the image gets stretched more and more to the sides.

This is a optical law - its like looking at a photo - you are watching a projection of a camera that hasn't the same parameters(position/FOV) as your eyes. When you tilt a photo in your hands it also gets distorted...- there isn't much you can do about it.

Solution:

A) Get a display/projection that covers a greater FOV in front of you

B) Move your head towards the monitor - so it covers your real FOV and it is matching what you have set-up in the sim

C) Get a real-time image warping software that counteracts it - but this will also smaller the usable Pixels/space on your monitor - as you have to 'push the boarders in' to counteract it. - so you end up with a smaller real FOV and a 'fish-bowl' effect - this form of warping is only working satisfying when using spherical/cylindric projections.

>>>>>

@ all

If you want to waste your time and the time of others.

Post your issues like it's done here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1757396#post1757396

But please don't be up-set if I won't answer at all in the future.

Edited by PeterP

PeterP

I saw discussion some time ago regarding FOV settings in game vs IRL.

As far as I remember thread died without any results. But in fact now we have settings in game dictated mostly by usability and newcomer-happiness.

Probably it will be interesting for you to create mission+formula which can allow user to set real-life FOV based on alignment of location of objects on screen and calculated FOV based on size of monitor and distance from eye of user.

I can't do this myself as far I'm really bad in math, but can do some testings and data collection if needed. I'm pretty sure you already know all this laws of optic-and-angles.

Всех убью, один останусь!

PeterP

I saw discussion some time ago regarding FOV settings in game vs IRL.

As far as I remember thread died without any results. But in fact now we have settings in game dictated mostly by usability and newcomer-happiness.

Probably it will be interesting for you to create mission+formula which can allow user to set real-life FOV based on alignment of location of objects on screen and calculated FOV based on size of monitor and distance from eye of user.

I can't do this myself as far I'm really bad in math, but can do some testings and data collection if needed. I'm pretty sure you already know all this laws of optic-and-angles.

A guide is also in the works and it's only merely purpose is to help the users understand why the things are like they are

(besides explaining how to edit all possible aspects them self an doing things like this

). - as posted here : #92

But creating a mission that guides you for this will be very disappointing for most of the users - when you have a Monitor that covers only ~40° of your real horizontal FOV (22" in a distance of ~70cm) - you will have to set up DCS also to a horizontal FOV of 40° - Than you will have all elements in real-size, but this is not usable in most cases at all.

My monitors covers real 90° (T-shape setup downscaled to 3840x2048 and only 'center' viewport ) and I have set up DCS to cover 120 -and I can live with this compromise.

Now let's get back on topic.

Edited by PeterP

Hello everyone.

I just had a quick question regarding this mod. I love the idea of the pivot point being where your neck is, and not where your eyes are, but I had a question about the A-10C view point. Currently (WITHOUT THIS MOD), when I look around, it seems as though my eyes are really far forward compared to where the seat is. Does this mod also put the pivot point back a little bit? All the other planes, it seems to be back far enough to emulate sitting in the seat.

Thanks!

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

(...) but I had a question about the A-10C view point. Currently (WITHOUT THIS MOD), when I look around, it seems as though my eyes are really far forward compared to where the seat is. Does this mod also put the pivot point back a little bit? All the other planes, it seems to be back far enough to emulate sitting in the seat.

Thanks!

Try it - and you will see.

To make it short: Yes - it will be a much more natural "check-six" experience.

Further:

All available modules/cockpits limits are reworked to match this new pivot-eye position.

Having problems after using/installation ? > just read the readme again and/or follow the links in post#1.

Edited by PeterP

Try it - and you will see.

To make it short: Yes - it will be a much more natural "check-six" experience.

Further:

All available modules/cockpits limits are reworked to match this new pivot-eye position.

Having problems after using/installation ? > just read the readme again and/or follow the links in post#1.

Excellent, Thank you Peter!

Do you know if ED has any plans of implementing your mod permanently? Or does it not work as well without TrackIR?

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

I know nothing what ED plans. - and that's OK.

I'm just sharing my 'findings'.

And it works without TrackIr just the same - but it is maybe not so 'convenient' as with it. - sorry , I'm really not the right person to answer this - I didn't tried to do it without a head-tracker since some (7?) years.

Edited by PeterP

PeterP I have a legitimate question. I ran this before on 1.2.3, but chose to reinstall for 1.2.4. Now when I install the mod, my default viewpoint (TrackIR centered, even with it disabled) is near where the pilots chest/stomach would be and looking up. The HUD is also huge. Would you have any idea why? I restored to the default files, and reapplied, but it did the same thing. Thoughts?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The voice of the F-14 "Ambush" Trailer and F-14 Tomcat Instructor Pilot

My Rig: Intel i5-7600k | MSI Z-270A PRO | 16GB DDR4 2400 | MSI nVidia GTX 1660 Ti | Saitek X52 Pro | TIR 4 w Pro Clip

I have the enlarged HUD as well.

I have found that any alteration of the view scripts make the HUD go into inflated mode.

Even with the standard stock files, just changing 'UseDefaultSnapViews = true' to 'false' will make the HUD go crazy.

It seems like its an issue within DCS rather than a mod of any kind.

Too bad as it does make the viewpoint mods unusable at this point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

I have found that any alteration of the view scripts make the HUD go into inflated mode.

Even with the standard stock files, just changing 'UseDefaultSnapViews = true' to 'false' will make the HUD go crazy.

It seems like its an issue within DCS rather than a mod of any kind.

Too bad as it does make the viewpoint mods unusable at this point.

Because you didn't read the readme (carefully) and didn't exchanged the the snapviews in the savedgames path.

Your snapviews.lua was created before the eye-point moved - and using a default snapview setting with this mod will let you have everything too close.

Isn't this simply logical ?!

So once again: Read the Readme!

EDIT:

Well..., I got a notification that my answer might sounds harsh and disrespectful and can scare off newbies...No , it isn't - I only gave the right answer - nothing more/nothing less - in a very compact way , and its not my fault and responsibility if people interpret/underlay my answer(s) with a harsh tone.

To counteract it I will try to use the emoticons in the future more often.

So please ad this 'mood' to the above response to Yskonyn/All :

;):)

Edited by PeterP

I have found that any alteration of the view scripts make the HUD go into inflated mode

Not any alteration but just when you instruct the game via SnapViewsDefault.lua or your custom SnapViews.lua x_trans = 0.000000, parameter or when you add/remove in Server.lua in line: EyePoint = {0.150000,0.000000,0.000000}, at the first parameter (0.15 in my example)

As PeterP said, you need to read the info to understand what needs to be done or taken care of.

The HUD is fixed in relation with the Cockpit... so when you move forward or backwards it simply... zooms. Not ideally but that's what it does.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Hello,

I have a question for PeterP:

I always used your file : New View with proper Neck and default 6DOF limits DCS World 1.2.1

If I understand well my file is not good with the 1.2.4 ?

In fact I use this file with my A-10C, KA-50, Huey UH-1H and P-51D and for me it's a good point of view.

Please can you explain to me if your last file / version is good for all these 4 modules ?

A great thanks in advance for your help, best regards. Skull

Hello,

I have a question for PeterP:

I always used your file : New View with proper Neck and default 6DOF limits DCS World 1.2.1

If I understand well my file is not good with the 1.2.4 ?

In fact I use this file with my A-10C, KA-50, Huey UH-1H and P-51D and for me it's a good point of view.

Please can you explain to me if your last file / version is good for all these 4 modules ?

A great thanks in advance for your help, best regards. Skull

Thank' - but I'm sorry to (maybe) disappoint you.

No - will not explain it again.

... I kinda dislike to explain things for each individual that I have already written down.

So please follow the quotes/links and pay special attention the the big fat dark-Red words:

>>> #81

I really can't fly without that mod PeterP now that I am used to it. Although it seems that this mod do nothing with ver. 1.2.4. View now is default ED view.
the point is, they change some parameter to other lua and make all lua new in the View-folder

>>> #92

Just a little 'update' of the WIP for 1.2.4:

I analysed the new file structure and I have to say that ED is walking in the right direction to de-clutter things and making adjustments easier by putting the relevant functions in only one file (...\view\server.lua).

[..]

Further:

I want and also write a clearly understandable pictured manual/guide that explains the available functions and the relation of your actual view-point in front of your monitor/projection with your Virtual one and the FOV (aka Zoom) - as there I see so many posts where people struggling to understand the fundamentals

, what leads into allot of confusion...

(e.g.: "Why is everything so stretched at the sides ?!")

...my PM/email-folder is also full of questions about it.

And I think that writing a "DCS View System Guide" will help allot of people to understand the limitations and how to counteract them without try'n'error.

...whatever...

So please understand that this will take some time,

but once I finished it things will become much clearer for you and I will have a reference to answer question by a single 'link' instead of starting always by zero even it has been answered many times before in a similar way .

[..]

>>> #1

[...] The ReadMe:

Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck plus 6DOF for Mig-29 , Su-33 and Su-25T for DCS World 1.2.4 RC 1

All cockpit views (for all flyable modules/planes) have the 10cm up and 16cm forward movement of the eye-point to simulate a neck.

And once again - safety first :

Always make a Backup before you change your files and use a proper editor ( Notepad++ - its Free! and the installation is ready in less than a minute!)- so no one gets Hurt

*******************************************************************************************************

How to install:

This mod comes in four different "flavours" depending of the modules you are using:

A) You have NOT FC3 and Huey installed -> chose the folder named "NO FC3 and Huey installed" for 'step 1'

B) You have FC3 installed -> chose the folder named "FC3 installed" for 'step 1'(Su-33 will have the fully 3D Su-27 cockpit)

C) You have Huey installed -> chose the folder named "Huey installed" for 'step 1'

(you will have reworked Gunner and pilot views for the Huey)

D) You have FC3 and Huey installed -> chose the folder named "FC3 and Huey installed" for 'step 1'

(Su-33 will have the fully 3D Su-27 cockpit and you will have reworked Gunner and pilot views for the Huey)

Attention! The Su-33 cockpit will have no tail-hook and glide-scoop indicator!

If you want to use the default Su-33 pit - use flavour A) or C) even if you have FC3 installed.

Inside in your chosen folder are folders that are named in a way that it is self-explanatory what to do with the contend :

Step1

"copy contend in DCS World installation" - do what the folder says says/is named

Example path: H:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\.

Step2

(optional - do this when you have set up custom snapviews for the default Cockpit view.)

"optional - copy contend in Saved Games to use a preset of snapviews" - do what the folder says/is named

Example path: C:\Users\>YOUR USERNAME<\Saved Games\DCS\

That's it.

Use "Backup of original 1.2.4 files" to revert back.

PS: Also don't forget to remap the TrackIR Z axis for the Non-6DOF cockpits - so you don't change the FOV when you move your head forward. >>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=105515

[...]

To make it short:

The old legacy 'New View with proper Neck and default 6DOF limits DCS World 1.2.1'

isn't compatible with 1.2.4 - and using this legacy files will clearly break functions of DCS World 1.2.4 .

Whatever you experience with the old 1.2.1 files in 1.2.4 - it's not how it's intended by me.

( I can only speculated how you made it work at all in 1.2.4...)

Oh! - I almost forgot to ad emoticons :

:):)

I have taken ALL the steps in the readme. Two times to doublecheck.

I did change the Snapviews in the Saved Games path.

I have even repaired my DCS install and tried again with a fresh.

It no worky for me. ;)

Even with the default files, as soon as I change this UseDefaultSnapViews to False, my HUD gets enlarged. So something else might be borked.

Or I am not a good modder. :D

It's fine, though. I'll manage without. Thanks for the mod no less!

Edited by Yskonyn

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”