Altimeter and spedometer dropping to zero

Mud

Hey folks,

I just did a one hour flight going from Anapa to Batumi. I was cruising at around 8km and after about 40-45 minutes my speed and altitude dropped to zero. I figured I had forgotten to turn on the pitot heat, but after checking I could confirm that D100 was on.

I did a search on the forum but couldn't find an answer. My apologies in advance though if this was cleared out already in another thread.

Flight was done in summer, clear sky with 20°C

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

At 8km altitude is really cold even map is set to summer conditions.

There is probably something wrong with pitot tube heating for both Luftwaffe fighters (Dora has "it" too).

Unfortunately no one has proved it as a bug so far with evidence and exact conditions.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

I have not idea about the 109 / 190 but in the Mig21 at high altitude (don't remember how high) I had my speed indicator and the altitude indicator to 0 but the aircraft was flying fine. And I had to reheat the pitot tube.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

May be but why is Pony not affected to? Only Dora and K-4 have this issue.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

I had my pitot heat on. What I'm mostly interested in is whether this is a bug or not. Perhaps the heater wasn't powerful enough to prevent freezing during longer flights. Though I'd find that somehow doubtful.

Also, is the altimeter linked to the pitot, or is that a completely different sensor?

Spoiler

ASI ( speedometer as some are calling it here ), VS and altimeter all depend on the pitot static and dynamic ports.

Find it all here, and understand the types of errors that can result from problems in the pitot system...

"https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/media/PHAK%20-%20Chapter%2007.pdf"

under "Blocked Pitot System"...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I also flew from Anapa to Batumi with the 109 at around 9km. I turned on the pitot heat before take off and turned it off after landing at Batumi. The flight also lasted one hour, but i didn't have any problems at all with that. The flight was also done in summer.

Interesting! Seems I'll have to do this flight a couple of times to see if I can reproduce. The wife will not be pleased :D

Spoiler