DCS F-35A

Wags

• ED Team
I was hoping that an announcement of a new module for DCS would bring us all closer together as a community.

Not spent much time in flight sim forums then huh :D

Seriously though, dont sweat the negative stuff... Just make a kick ass F-35 ( and F4U and Zero and others) and thats good enough for most...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again to all. I would to once again make it clear that I have dedicated myself and my company to bringing the joy of military aviation to as many as possible... when the dust settles we still fly together for the joy of it. I was hoping that an announcement of a new module for DCS would bring us all closer together as a community. FYI - I was in VT-10, VT-86, VMFA-531, MAG-11, VFC-13, and HC-9 might have been a couple of military cockpits mixed into that group... not to mention hundreds of hours in both the B-2 and F-22 developmental simulators.

Nothing personal towards you Kinney.

But wouldn't you be at the very least confused if the following happend?

December 2012;

Someone asks on forum for an SU-27 whatever latest variant, or SU-34 PAK FA etc etc.

Someone from ED replies whit, impossible, not enough information for any level of simulation, not DCS, not FC, probably not even game mode.

And if there was information, it would simply not be allowed to any kind of realistic re-presentation.

What has changed in those few months that all of a sudden it now can be done, at the highest level of simulation i am aware off?

Whoever can explain the above to me wins the Nobel Price for Peace of Falcons mind.

EDIT,

Looking forward to other things you announced btw, like terrain and WWII era plane's.

Its just the F35 that we were always told by ED was not possible because..........laundry list of reasons here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

You just won't get permission from Sukhoi and Russian military. Classified is classified here.

• Like 1

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

Not being able to model aircraft A to "DCS standards" does not mean it isn't possible to model aircraft B. Even if A and B are from the same generation and have the same capabilities.

Likewise, just because ED themselves can't model a given aircraft, it doesn't mean someone else won't have the necessary contacts/sources to do so. And what can't be modelled today, might end up being possible next month. It's not a clear black/white thing.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Well yeah, but i didn't mean just the Russian craft. Should have put an F22 in there or something.

Cause the same laundry list was used as argument towards modern western planes.

EDIT

Sniped by Eddie

Not being able to model aircraft A to "DCS standards" does not mean it isn't possible to model aircraft B. Even if A and B are from the same generation and have the same capabilities.

Likewise, just because ED themselves can't model a given aircraft, it doesn't mean someone else won't have the necessary contacts/sources to do so. And what can't be modelled today, might end up being possible next month. It's not a clear black/white thing.

In that case things may need to be formulated a bit different in the future then.

Cause i always understood it as ........by ANYONE.

instead of .........by Eagle Dynamics.

Edited by 159th_Falcon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well yeah, but i didn't mean just the Russian craft. Should have put an F22 in there or something.

Cause the same laundry list was used as argument towards modern western planes.

EDIT

Sniped by Eddie

Well, now someone got ability to make this particular aircraft. F-22, Su-35 and other company is still in the same list.

• Like 1

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

What does a developer need to accomplish to meet the standards of a DCS product ? What kind of aircraft would ED consider too classified to be modeled to a DCS standard ?

Lemme take a guess.

This cannot be determined on an per A/C basis but has to be determined on an per Developer basis because they can have fastly different resources and abilities to model a certain craft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It doesn't matter what planes ED considers 'too classified'. What does matter is what information the module producer claims to have (or can present), as well as their background.

What does a developer need to accomplish to meet the standards of a DCS product ? What kind of aircraft would ED consider too classified to be modeled to a DCS standard ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Well, now lets see, a quick "off the top of my head" list.

Systems that are either not modelled or have at least some degree of simplification and/or "game" modelling (some of the below will be down to limited dev resources and/or known bugs).

[...]

No more than 70%.

The point is are the documents avaiable to achieve the same fidelty for the F35? Enough to create an AFM and see how the FCS works etc...

Correct. For example, you might say 'I'll make a DCS: PAK-FA', and when you failed to present your ability to obtain reasonable accuracy, your DCS license would be denied - that's just my understanding, someone from ED might have more carefully chosen words on the matter.

Lemme take a guess.

This cannot be determined on an per A/C basis but has to be determined on an per Developer basis because they can have fastly different resources and abilities to model a certain craft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

More to the point, the third-party Devs here have just been that wee bitty too vague so as to properly facilitate one from formulating an educated opinion one way or another and that in itself is worrisome to say the least. Eagerly awaiting the kickstarter description and sales-pitch which I hope is not as 'lean' as the info to date.

Yeah, I hope they will learn from the previous F-35 attempt as how NOT to do a sales pitch.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

How would you ever be able to know? How would you ever be able to know with respect to the A-10C, to begin with? You took ED at their word. What's wrong with taking Kinney's word?

The point is are the documents avaiable to achieve the same fidelty for the F35? Enough to create an AFM and see how the FCS works etc...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's very disappointing to see how negative this thread has become. Everyone seem's focused on telling Kinney how he can't do it instead of recognizing the fact that he as accepted the challenge of such an advanced and systematically challenging aircraft. I for one am fully pulling for Kinney and ED's success with the F-35.

Now if the F-35 Devs can match that figure of 70% I dare say we have nothing to complain about it bearing the DCS-tag.

It's just that the 70% of the A-10C and 70% of the F-35 are not really in the same league by a long shot.. The radar (especially the A2G mode which would be the first) and the HMS which can project the image which is behind the airframe just to name a few things which would seem to require some additional support in the DCS engine.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I've taken the liberty of deleting some very personal posts.

Let me make one thing absolutely clear, forum rule 1.2 also includes your exchanges with 3rd party devs. From here on out, personal attacks against any member of this forum will be subject to disciplinary action. It's ok to be critical, but learn to voice your concerns/critical thoughts without launching attacks against the person or find yourself another forum. You have been warned.

Also, let's leave the slander and scam accusations, there is no grounds to base those on at this point. You have the right to not spend your money, you don't have a right to be derogatory.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It's very disappointing to see how negative this thread has become. Everyone seem's focused on telling Kinney how he can't do it instead of recognizing the fact that he as accepted the challenge of such an advanced and systematically challenging aircraft.

Well, this is rather different as it's going to be a Kickstarter campaign - which means you're expected to invest into something which is (probably) still in its infancy. So, it's not like all the other 3rd party developers which are promising a lot, but if they don't deliver, it's their loss only (besides our dreams :)).

I for one am fully pulling for Kinney and ED's success with the F-35.

You'll have your chance to put your money where your mouth is soon enough it seems ;)

But my issue is that having the kickstarter added onto it, adds a huge air of skepticism and criticality that is perfectly justified.

If there was no kickstarter in place, I think there would be much less criticism and skepticism. (Certainly from me at least). People should always make informed decisions and react on their gut, so I hope the kickstarter pages definitely show some more substaintial proof that an april beta is remotely possible.

This is precisely what makes the 'spider-senses' tingle.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Just that 70% of the A-10C and 70% of the F-35 are really not in the same league...

And that's why I'm eagerly awaiting formal confirmation. Comparing airframes is quite correctly unbecoming.

However

Holding a potential airframe to a certain standard (in this case 70% to qualify for a DCS tag) is eminently reasonable insofar as systems, weapons and avionics is concerned. I dare say flight model fidelity should be considerably higher as I'm pretty sure the A-10C and other DCS flight models are nearer 95%.

In any event, as stated previously, eagerly awaiting formal Dev confirmation/clarification.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I don't see why ... all you need is a different viewport, just like you have for the TGP for example. An alternative is to make the 3D shape textures transparent from the inside when you're 'helmet on', but I don't know how viable that is (the devil is always in the details).

Radar requires some new code, but it isn't exactly a challenge IMHO, just work.

It's just that the 70% of the A-10C and 70% of the F-35 are not really in the same league by a long shot.. The radar (especially the A2G mode which would be the first) and the HMS which can project the image which is behind the airframe just to name a few things which would seem to require some additional support in the DCS engine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't see why ... all you need is a different viewport, just like you have for the TGP for example. An alternative is to make the 3D shape textures transparent from the inside when you're 'helmet on', but I don't know how viable that is (the devil is always in the details).

Radar requires some new code, but it isn't exactly a challenge IMHO, just work.

Is the TGP display generally only implemented in the A-10 code or is there a library for it in the DCS world? I don't mean the HDD and the functions there, but the general feature. I guess there's some base used by the Su-25 and the A-10C. So, I expect that a similar base needs to be done for the HMD display and the A2G radar.

I never said it's impossible, I just said that to my uninformed mind it seems it might require some extra support in the DCS World engine (OK, I don't know how far ED got with the Hornet features which should also feature A2G radar at least). And A-10C was two years in the making, no? By people who developed the game itself (meaning, very experienced and familiar). It's not like such features in DCS World are being developed very quickly, it usually takes months to get something like advanced missile modeling, while the announced landing SFM improvements are still not there.

So, call me paranoid then, but I'm rather skeptical about the "it's just work" disclaimer :) (especially given the unbelievingly bold April beta statement).

Edited by Dudikoff