Why won't my gears go up when I take off ?

Mizzy

As the title says, every time I take off the gears won't go up. I have assigned the key to G, no matter what, the gears won't go up !!

Mizzy

Welcome to the club amigo. Like others have said, you have to unlock the gear first. There is a switch in the cockpit in addition to the shortcut. Just don't do what I did first flight and start hitting random levers while trying to find it because you'll find something else instead.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Thank you, but is there an easy option than all this button pushing nonsense thingy ? I don't have time to read the manual or anything just the key that says 'gear up'..seems straight forward to me. By all means let people have an option to press as many buttons as they like to raise a simulated rivet but I don't have time to press this and that before this and that happens. I just like to pretend and enjoy simulated flight...not too much to ask a casual flight sim player...or is it ?

Mizzy

...but I don't have time to press this and that before this and that happens. I just like to pretend and enjoy simulated flight...not too much to ask a casual flight sim player...or is it ?

Mizzy

No offense intended but that is what/who the Flaming Cliffs aircraft are for.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

"Casual flight SIM player.."

Two words that in my humble opinion are opposite.. Casual and Sim.

But there's been so many topics on this now, it was even foreseen before the release that there would be many topics on this subject.. Like everyone else has said..

Use search, read the manual on this SIM plane or browse a bit.... Please!

Thank you, but is there an easy option than all this button pushing nonsense thingy ? I don't have time to read the manual or anything just the key that says 'gear up'..seems straight forward to me. By all means let people have an option to press as many buttons as they like to raise a simulated rivet but I don't have time to press this and that before this and that happens. I just like to pretend and enjoy simulated flight...not too much to ask a casual flight sim player...or is it ?

Mizzy

troll alert

Just click the safety at start up or set it to a memorable but out of the way key and make it the first thing you press. You can then forget about it forever.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Just click the safety at start up or set it to a memorable but out of the way key and make it the first thing you press. You can then forget about it forever.

This is what I do, too. That way I can press the little safety switch while I'm sitting still on the ground. Once I'm actually on the takeoff roll and my attention is focused on flying the plane, all I have to do is retract the gear.

Some things on this plane are slightly wacky, but hey, it's just like the real MiG-21! :thumbup:

I press the two buttons at once... safety up and gear up.

It took me a while to understand that that safety is just for rising the gear and not for lowering it :) so I have 2 other buttons for landing that I press together... gear down and flaps landing. Obviously I keep forgetting to place the gear lever in neutral not to waste air pressure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Mizzy

:cry::cry::cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Afaik there have been a bug report already ... or maybe feature request posted here somewhere: to straighten up some of the control assignment functions.

For example so that rotaries can not only used by pressing the key combo for each separate rotary position (which might be great for simpit builders), but to additionally allow the rotary to be simply turned left or right.

Same idea for all those capped buttons: to allow the button to be pressed and the cap will be flipped open automatically (like it is done in other aircraft as well). In reality you would flip open the cap and press the respective button with one movement - it barely makes a difference for you. But if you have to pres RSHIFT + x and LCTRL + x in our sim under stress you only end up with knots in your fingers ...

And I agree with Mizzy, that probably also the gear lever - which might be the extremest example in this a/c - should be easier to use. It is simply not viable to map 5-7 buttons to just actuate the landing gear (lock open, gear up, gear neutral, lock close and additionally also gear down).

Edited by Flagrum

Mizzy

I thought you cant be serious then saw your a Smoggie nuf said :book:

Edited by G00dnight

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Reading the manual reveals hidden magical wonders!

Don't forget to then set it back to the off position, and lower the safety again! But if "ain't nobody got time for that" you may have a fun surprise landing it. :)

Edited by Iberian

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mizzy

Sorry Mizzy...but you got the wrong sim then, the great thing about DCS is the simulated reality....you pretent to unrealistic, and it takes to much of youre time..so get an arcade.

This is not the sim for you...sorry :D

Sorry Mizzy...but you got the wrong sim then, the great thing about DCS is the simulated reality....you pretent to unrealistic, and it takes to much of youre time..so get an arcade.

This is not the sim for you...sorry :D

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

So the majority here says, it is ok to have to pres 5-6 strange key combos for the gear, 2 to fire a flare and whatnot? Ah, no, you all map that to your HOTAS, right? 6 buttons for the landing gear. I understand ... but what do you do then with the functions you need every minute during your sortie - if 50% of your buttons are already in use by stuff that you only need one or two times per mission?

This has nothing to do with with being "not authentic" or "not like in reality". I said it in this thread already (but nobody seems to care): in RL you would actuate such "obstacles" with a simple move of your hand when you are using a specific function. "Flip cap open press button" is one movement that does is not any more complicated or takes any longer than just the button press. But with DCS key combos it is a entirely different matter. Just dropping the brake chute forces you making knots in your fingers ...

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

So the majority here says, it is ok to have to pres 5-6 strange key combos for the gear, 2 to fire a flare and whatnot? Ah, no, you all map that to your HOTAS, right? 6 buttons for the landing gear. I understand ... but what do you do then with the functions you need every minute during your sortie - if 50% of your buttons are already in use by stuff that you only need one or two times per mission?

This has nothing to do with with being "not authentic" or "not like in reality". I said it in this thread already (but nobody seems to care): in RL you would actuate such "obstacles" with a simple move of your hand when you are using a specific function. "Flip cap open press button" is one movement that does is not any more complicated or takes any longer than just the button press. But with DCS key combos it is a entirely different matter. Just dropping the brake chute forces you making knots in your fingers ...

The extra steps are not a huge issue, in the case of the landing gear handle specifically, I don't bind anything, I just use the mouse to control the level and it's lock, it takes no effort and is very quick.

The same can go for other controls you don't use often, the cover for the button that drops the chute could be bound but why? Just open it with a mouse click before you come in on final approach so that it is ready to go when you hit the deploy chute button.

I only use my HOTAS for commands that I am going to use a lot, the rest I leave to the mouse.

The extra steps are not a huge issue, in the case of the landing gear handle specifically, I don't bind anything, I just use the mouse to control the level and it's lock, it takes no effort and is very quick.

The same can go for other controls you don't use often, the cover for the button that drops the chute could be bound but why? Just open it with a mouse click before you come in on final approach so that it is ready to go when you hit the deploy chute button.

I only use my HOTAS for commands that I am going to use a lot, the rest I leave to the mouse.

During take off I have my "mouse"-hand at the stick, not at the mouse. And no, I am not willing to learn complicated key combos (to be used with the other hand) - this is not FC3.

If you have no problem with it, great. But I don't understand why seemingly everybody argues against some sensible (additional!) simplifications - like they are implemented in most? at least many other DCS aircraft.

But what do I know. Perhaps DCS ASM level aircraft is also the wrong sim for me .... pffff ...