VFA-127 Desert Bogeys Aggressor Liveries!

_mu110_

v4Dh3tx.jpg

VFA-127 Desert Bogeys was a Navy aggressor squadron which operated the F/A-18A from 1992 to 1996 after which they transitioned to the F-5. They were stationed at NAS Fallon where they provided adversary training for Pacific coast squadrons. This pack represents the squadron circa 1993. Every effort has been made to recreate as accurately as possible each of the five unique camouflage patterns present, and each skin includes accurate BuNo's (including inside the cockpit). As far as I can tell, these are the only 5 Hornets ever flown by this squadron. Unfortunately, pictures of this squadron are notoriously difficult to find, at this point I feel like I've seen just about every picture of these aircraft that exists. I have had to do a bit of improvisation here and there on some of the liveries (mostly on top and bottom of the wings). I have also been unable to find a good reference for what names belong to which aircraft during which time period, so although the names are historical, which exact aircraft they are painted on may not. This pack should therefore be considered semi-historical. If anyone has some good references for these feel free to PM me so I can update these.

xMWyoNf.jpg

Included in the download are aircraft numbers 01, 02, 03, 04, and 06. Each camouflage livery has been hand painted, and each of them is unique. The skins all feature flags of either Cuba, Libya, or Iraq. Each livery includes false intakes painted in black on the leading edge extension and on the side of the fuselage which are intended to mimic those of a Mig-29. The dark green line that runs down the underside of the aircraft is supposed to simulate the shadow between the Mig's two engines. This pack also includes tan flight suits as well as white helmets with the velcro patch and accurate squadron patches. The BuNo of each aircraft is historically correct, also included are the matching illuminated BuNo's in the cockpit. Each livery is covered in a number of warnings, icons, and other details, I have recreated these myself so the text on these should be a bit clearer and easier to read than those from the regular texture template.

Note: These aircraft are almost always pictured without any pylons, so I have kept them the standard gray color. I was also only able to find one image of one of the aircraft carrying fuel tanks, which were also plain gray. I have included a couple different designs of alternate fuel tanks in the pack which have the same camouflage pattern as the aircraft if realism is not your number one priority. Simply go into each livery's folder and swap the [ALTERNATE] in the filename from one fuel tank texture file to the other. It should also be noted that since VFA-127 flew the F/A-18A and we have the F/A-18C in game, there are some slight inconsistencies. I have colored the antenna bumps on the C model to blend in with the camouflage paint job, but if someone wants a version with these the standard gray color with the "do not paint" text, please let me know.

3 of these aircraft (01, 02, and 04) were sold to Spain in 1995 where they got a very unique yellow Spanish aggressor camo job that I plan to include as an bonus for this pack in a little bit once I've completed it. I may also include a gray VFA-127 skin from while it was being painted that I have some pictures of.

tcu2qZt.jpg

Download: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304268/

Installation: Copy the five different VFA-127_0X folders included in the download into your DCS World OpenBeta/CoreMods/aircraft/FA-18C/Liveries/FA-18C_hornet folder.

These skins are available for both the US and US Aggressor factions in game.

Please don't reupload these skins anywhere without permission.

92VMLFi.jpg

Please let me know if you find any errors with the skin or have any comments/questions. Enjoy!

Edited by _mu110_

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just updated the download after re-exporting every texture using the Intel DDS plugin. From a distance you probably wont be able to tell any difference, but up close the increase in quality is very noticeable. This is most apparent on things with fine details such as text, the country flags, patches, the edges of the camo pattern, etc.