Multiplayer connection speed setting gone?

Breakshot

As the title suggests.

I can't find this anywhere in 1.5.... I believe being able to adjust the connection bandwidth client side is very important to alleviate the lagg on the larger mission servers.

In previous version, IMO 2048 seemed to be most optimal setting for anything with over 10 clients.

In 1.5 it's reported by everyone that it has become warp city....

Any ideas? Bring the setting back perhaps?!

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

• ED Team

Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Config/autoexec.cfg: (create the file if necessary)

net.download_speed = <speed_in_bytes_per_second>
net.upload_speed =  <speed_in_bytes_per_second>

To replicate old 2Mbps setting:

net.download_speed = 256*1024
net.upload_speed =  128*1024

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Ok sadly it looks like this is the reason we have all been seeing so much warp and lagging on all servers in 1.5!!!

We have manually edited our config file to allow our server to have a larger limit, for now it seems to be working and the server is much more stable! We set the limit on our server to 10mb up and 10mb down, it was initially set at 1mb up and 1mb down, by the 1.5 update! :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I advise everyone to go in and edit these settings, the "hardcoded" settings are not adequate at all for flying online!

Please see this post - http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2510672&postcount=394

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

If I set numbers larger than this, will I hurt anything?

Apologies guys/girls. I've never altered/created any files in my DCS directories. Can I suggest one of the devs, create a file and post it in here for people to copy > paste into the correct DCS folder?

I've created the .cfg file now, but some people 'may' need more of a hand.

Edited by DAZnBLAST

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Thanks guys, that .cfg file at least now allows me to stay in a server for more than 5mins :)

I'm still seeing weird streaks a grey or brown from sky to ground now and again ... weird.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

net.download_speed = 1310720

net.upload_speed = 1310720

Hello Everyone,

What would I put in the autoexec.cfg to use the connection I have for my server?

My understanding the values are for bytes per second in the autoexec.cfg?

My connection is :

Download =15714 kilobytes per second, does this mean 15714000 bytes per second?

Upload = 3018 kilobytes per second, does this mean 3018000 bytes per second?

So what should I put make the upload and download(the autoexec.cfg entry) the same as my connection's upload?

4736997570.png

My current setting in autoexec.cfg is:

net.download_speed = 26214400

net.upload_speed = 26214400

Thank you,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

The upstream rates being discussed here are orders of magnitude higher than a lot of DSL connections that players are using. DSL generally has a terrible upstream, I have 512k/15m for example.

I am doing fine with

net.download_speed = 655360 (5mbps)

net.upload_speed = 49152 (75% of line limit, 384kbit)

The client should not need anywhere as much upstream bandwidth as the server, and logically the downstream bandwidth of all the clients combined should be equal to the total upstream bandwidth of the server...

If you set limit values to greater than your line capacity - and DCS tries to use that nonexistent bandwidth - then I suspect you will have major issues.

Edited by Lascaille

Right I just had a poke about and am seeing the following:

These are rates measured at the client using WMI.

As a client, joining a MP server with two other clients both actively flying:

Down: Approx 10KBps / 80Kbps / 0.08Mbps

Up: Approx 2.5KBps / 20Kbps/ 0.02Mbps

Using a MP server with 15 active clients:

Down: Approx 17.5KBps / 140Kbps / 0.13Mbps

Up: Approx 7KBps / 56Kbps/ 0.06Mbps

Extrapolating a bit, a server needs about 1.5Mbps of bandwidth for each 10 clients. Perhaps a bit more.

Any single client should be able to play on - realistically - any bandwidth connection aside from a 56k modem.

I don't know that changing these autoexec.cfg settings should have effects for clients as even the smallest limits are real high compared to the required rates... Of course it won't do any harm given how little b/w the client uses :)

I did that and I'm getting following error message in dcs.log:

00000.007 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error Config/main.cfg:[string "C:\Users\johny\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config/autoexec.cfg"]:1: attempt to index global 'net' (a nil value).

When I remove "net.", i.e.

download_speed = 256*1024
upload_speed =  128*1024

then the error message is gone, however it is question whether these settings are applied.

Any hints?

• ED Team
I did that and I'm getting following error message in dcs.log:

00000.007 ERROR   Lua::Config: load error Config/main.cfg:[string "C:\Users\johny\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config/autoexec.cfg"]:1: attempt to index global 'net' (a nil value).

When I remove "net.", i.e.

download_speed = 256*1024
upload_speed =  128*1024

then the error message is gone, however it is question whether these settings are applied.

Any hints?

Oops, sorry for that. We'll correct this in on of the updates.

In the meantime, yhe forward compatible fix is:

if not net then net = {} end

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Has there been a consensus of opinion as to just what the best entries should be for the autoexec file for both server and client? I thought I had it right with

net.download_speed = 1310720

net.upload_speed = 1310720

but now I'm not so sure considering the various numbers I have seen. Coff, should the entries for everyone be exactly like this?

net.upload_speed = 128*1024

Edited by Blooze

A clarification would be nice.

As I said, I measured the bandwidth of my client with WMI and on the 104th I was not seeing more than approx 17.5KBps / 140Kbps / 0.13Mbps down, and less than half of that up.

If people do see benefits on their clients from setting huge bitrates - when these observed bitrates are about a 1/10th of the standard limit - then... why?

A clarification would be nice.

As I said, I measured the bandwidth of my client with WMI and on the 104th I was not seeing more than approx 17.5KBps / 140Kbps / 0.13Mbps down, and less than half of that up.

If people do see benefits on their clients from setting huge bitrates - when these observed bitrates are about a 1/10th of the standard limit - then... why?

The 104th, in previous updates 1.2x, used to serve well in excess of 100kilobytes/second/client as we approached 50 players and long mission runtime. Which is why at the time, we advised clients to set 2048 in the relevent network speed entry.

If one stayed on the default (1024) they would experience warping and then finally server exit would ensue. Also, network usage would spike dramatically from time to time, depending on client states (1 temporary warper for example would surge ALL client throughput, leading to a cascade affect for everyone) which led us to the Ping limits that we used to have, and will have in the future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So to host 50 players you would need 40Mbit? As in nearly half a 100mbit ethernet connection? I am not doubting you just astonished, I used to do some managed hosting stuff and that would be well over $2k per month for B/W alone.

I am going to be selfish asshole here but ask, I am in Asia and see ~225ms to your server. I would like to get back to it once the beta calms down a bit. I understand pings have to be for the benefit of all people but warping that I could see was caused much more by packet loss than simple high ping. If the limit could be set 'considerately' that would be appreciated. No matter what connection I pay for I won't get that ping below 225 due to physics.

Also: have you seen any reduction in b/w due to the beta? Or just due to fewer clients?

Ok too many numbers bouncing around now. Is a bit confusing.

So what are the exact lines to enter for the Autoexe.config file now?

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10