DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

I'm going to apologize ahead of time if someone has already asked this, but are there any plans to include European aircraft of the period, such as the Panavia Tornado or Dassault Mirage-2000?

Amidst the blue skies

A link from past to future

The sheltering wings of the protector

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe one day a third party or ED will create a new caucasus map.

I know it's not a priority, but if the Caucasus map was redone to the level of the maps to come I'm sure it would feel like a brand new map and enjoyed. I do wonder what the community would be willing to pay for it though.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I'm going to apologize ahead of time if someone has already asked this, but are there any plans to include European aircraft of the period, such as the Panavia Tornado or Dassault Mirage-2000?

Tornado

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=127100

Mirage 2000C

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=120580

I don't think either are coming soon, but at some stage. (sorry for OT)

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I know it's not a priority, but if the Caucasus map was redone to the level of the maps to come I'm sure it would feel like a brand new map and enjoyed. I do wonder what the community would be willing to pay for it though.

I'd love to see the areas not currently populated be added, especially the Crimea. Not a big deal if it never happens but would be fun for nostalgia from the early days.

Tornado

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=127100

Mirage 2000C

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=120580

I don't think either are coming soon, but at some stage. (sorry for OT)

Thank you for the info! It'll be a lot of fun to have that kind of variety in the air.

I noticed on that page that it mentions the Typhoon. Wouldn't the Typhoon be outside of the time period used for jets right now? That's a 5th gen fighter that entered service in 2003. Is that an indication that other 5th gen aircraft will be added as an option for more modern-day scenarios?

Edited by MidnightWyvern

Amidst the blue skies

I noticed on that page that it mentions the Typhoon. Wouldn't the Typhoon be outside of the time period used for jets right now? That's a 5th gen fighter that entered service in 2003. Is that an indication that other 5th gen aircraft will be added as an option for more modern-day scenarios?

Typhoon is not a 5th generation fighter. It is a gen 4/4.5.

Devs are free to model any aircraft of any time period they desire.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I'd love to see the areas not currently populated be added, especially the Crimea. Not a big deal if it never happens but would be fun for nostalgia from the early days.

AGREED! I actually miss the region of Crimea from the lock-on days.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Typhoon is not a 5th generation fighter. It is a gen 4/4.5.

Devs are free to model any aircraft of any time period they desire.

If my question sounded accusatory, it wasn't meant to. What I was referring to was the possible discrepancy in capability between a more advanced platform like the Typhoon and an older one like the F-15 as far as mixing them in the same scenario. Obviously the simulation supports aircraft of different time periods, so my question was toward whether more advanced aircraft are planned in the future just to offer players more options in scenario building.

Regardless of the tech discrepancy between the F-22A and the EF-2000, the latter was put into service only 2 years before the former.

Amidst the blue skies

If my question sounded accusatory, it wasn't meant to. What I was referring to was the possible discrepancy in capability between a more advanced platform like the Typhoon and an older one like the F-15 as far as mixing them in the same scenario. Obviously the simulation supports aircraft of different time periods, so my question was toward whether more advanced aircraft are planned in the future just to offer players more options in scenario building.

Regardless of the tech discrepancy between the F-22A and the EF-2000, the latter was put into service only 2 years before the former.

There is no discrepancy unless you (or the mission designer) wants discrepancy. You can configure an F15 vs P51 engagement if you like in the game already.

The only limit on what aircraft will be available in DCS World is the ability of ED or it's third party partners to simulate most of its systems. Since that is limited by the available documentation on said aircraft, most modern active duty aircraft will probably not make the cut, since that documentation is probably a very closely guarded state secret.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Do we know if some of the stuff Mustang produced is going to be incorporated, I particularly wish for the curvature of the earth now we have planes capable of reaching high enough to notice:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do we know if some of the stuff Mustang produced is going to be incorporated, I particularly wish for the curvature of the earth now we have planes capable of reaching high enough to notice:)

I believe I remember that was one of the benefits of EDGE/DCSW2.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

They said EDGE supports maps on a curved Earth, I don't remember if they said NTTR is on a curved or flat Earth.

I seem to recall some very early screenshots showing the fact that curvature of the earth is modeled in EDGE.. (and no I don't have a link, sorry)

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

seems that the f-18c is hovering above the parking ground.

Agreed; a little disappointing considering EDGE being a top notch graphics engine, which should feature improved shadows, self-shading and (hopefully) ambient occlusion.

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Agreed; a little disappointing considering EDGE being a top notch graphics engine, which should feature improved shadows, self-shading and (hopefully) ambient occlusion.

If you have a closer look it's just the angle of the sun, it's not floating at all.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

• ED Team

What's a little disappointing is people so quick to judge pre-alpha screenshots...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

What's a little disappointing is people so quick to judge pre-alpha screenshots...

Being a bit disappointed by a single screenshot doesn't diminish my excitement for DCS 2.0 whatsoever. And my personal opinion does not invalidated the product; because I am so stoked about DCS 2.0, I am just dissecting each and every bit of info we're getting more closely than I would if I didn't care... :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

That's a common problem with shadows sometimes. I even see it at times in the current build of DCS.

seems that the f-18c is hovering above the parking ground.

If you have a closer look it's just the angle of the sun, it's not floating at all.

If you actually look at the Nose gear suspension, the nose gear is fully compressed, its not floating, the suspension animation was playing to max compression.

Current 1.2.x AI does this when stopping while taxi-ing in both SP and MP.

Side Effect of AI using SFM and predetermined Gear compression points

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Some static-placed aircraft tend to have bugs with their gear suspension state. Notice it in the current engine too.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

its not floating

I believe the "complaint" was more along the lines that the shawdow doesn't really seem to originate from the tire, which makes it look as if it is not solidly placed on the ground.

Should look a bit more like this:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I believe the "complaint" was more along the lines that the shawdow doesn't really seem to originate from the tire, which makes it look as if it is not solidly placed on the ground.

Should look a bit more like this:

I know how light and shadows work,

My explanation was to explain why there is a gap between the nose gear and the surface, resulting in separation of the shadow from the gear tire.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I know how light and shadows work,

My explanation was to explain why there is a gap between the nose gear and the surface, resulting in separation of the shadow from the gear tire.

As long as the gear is in contact with the ground, there is no angle of the sun that could make a shadow cast like that, except in DCS world it seems, at least at the current stage, of course.

Anyway, not a stopping "bug", if you may want to call it like that.