Warthog AB detent - Push through mod?

DTWD

Hello,

Does anyone know of a mod for the after burner detent to change it from a lift in and out to more of a bump? I want to get to the gate and be able to push through it with enough force instead of having to lift, but still know I am about to light the fires.

I find the lift in and out at the beginning fine, but the AB one seems really difficult, certainly something I can't do subconsciously and have to concentrate.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what i did'

take out enter bit between throttles.. remove the plastic bit that gives you either AB or noAB.

take a craft knife and trim a little at a time off the step for AB till it just gives you a hump at AB position. BEAR IN MIND THIS WILL INVALIDATE YOUR WARANTEE but who cares.

I have a nice push upto AB pos then a small bump into AB. simples..

• Like 1

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

I did what GOOdnight did and it works great. Just to re-emphasis just a very little bit at a time. If you do go too far I think you can order a new one from TM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

what i did'

take out enter bit between throttles.. remove the plastic bit that gives you either AB or noAB.

take a craft knife and trim a little at a time off the step for AB till it just gives you a hump at AB position. BEAR IN MIND THIS WILL INVALIDATE YOUR WARANTEE but who cares.

I have a nice push upto AB pos then a small bump into AB. simples..

Hi sarge or G00dnight, any chance you could post a quick pic of your 'afterburner detent bit'?

I'm too chicken to start cutting or filing. Need an example.

• Like 1

System spec:

Asus P9X79, Intel 3930K @ 4.6;

GeForce GTX 680 4gb; G.Skill 16 Gb (2x8Gb) DDR3 dual channel @ 1800mhz; Corsair H100; Corsair SSD; Cooler Master 1200W SilentPro Gold (80+).

HOTAS Warthog, Helios, SoftTH, CougarMFD, Dell Multitouch, LG 27", LG 42.

--------------------------------------------------------

Good idea! but does it calibrate with DCS so the AB lights when the detent is reached?

Edit: with my WH throttle the detent is reached before AB in the 27 and F15. Easily sorted with a curve though.

Edited by ///Rage
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

I just fly the A10C and the Su-25T in DCS so can't comment on the AB calibration with the F 15 etc... I modified mine for Falcon BMS, you can set the AB detent in Falcon.

Something DCS should look into especially with the eventual release of the F 18C...

Attached is a photo of the area to trim... Remember just a little at a time equally on each side of the red guide.

Detent.png.1ef0e50b0a28b25c88dbc7d86fe4f60f.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 1 year later...

Hi

I can't feel any resistance or bump pushing forward, but like the original poster can feel it going backwards. When I have my throttles fully forward they are hard up against the top of the groove so I can't see how lifting them would make any difference?

Hi

I can't feel any resistance or bump pushing forward, but like the original poster can feel it going backwards. When I have my throttles fully forward they are hard up against the top of the groove so I can't see how lifting them would make any difference?

Turn the throttle stop around inside the Throttle. It has two settings, throttle stop at AB with a lift to go into AB and push to the wall, which is the one the majority of us would be used to after setting up the throttle for the A10.

You should see two Allen screws on the top of your throttle to allow you to change it.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Turn the throttle stop around inside the Throttle. It has two settings, throttle stop at AB with a lift to go into AB and push to the wall, which is the one the majority of us would be used to after setting up the throttle for the A10.

You should see two Allen screws on the top of your throttle to allow you to change it.

Cowboy10uk

Hi

If I am just flying A-10 I don't need to do this right? Only if flying jets too?

Nope you only need the AB Detent if you're flying jets with Afterburner

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

• 3 weeks later...

I did a non-intrusive modification two months ago that serves the same purpose. Instead of cutting the original part I glued a few pieces of a round, wooden toothpick on the other side. The new part stops the throttles, but when you push them, they slide on top of it. This way I have all three options available:

- The original pull-up to get past detent and engage afterburner

- The modified push-through operation if I rotate the part 180 degrees.

- No AB detent if I remove the part completely.

The good thing is you can customize it later by adding or removing more toothpick pieces.

2016-02-10%2013.45.44_zps1khcsw56.jpg

2016-02-10%2013.44.37_zpsjsdwgsng.jpg

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

just want to hop in and say what GOOdnight suggested...with a little exacto knife trimming the plug worked like a charm for me! Thanx a lot!

Yup, for me also. Just using the exacto knife to "shave" the edge carefully. I did one side at a time until I got it right on the first one them proceeded with the second side.

• 2 months later...
I did a non-intrusive modification two months ago that serves the same purpose. Instead of cutting the original part I glued a few pieces of a round, wooden toothpick on the other side. The new part stops the throttles, but when you push them, they slide on top of it. This way I have all three options available:

- The original pull-up to get past detent and engage afterburner

- The modified push-through operation if I rotate the part 180 degrees.

- No AB detent if I remove the part completely.

The good thing is you can customize it later by adding or removing more toothpick pieces.

2016-02-10%2013.45.44_zps1khcsw56.jpg

2016-02-10%2013.44.37_zpsjsdwgsng.jpg

I know this is an old but, just wanted to say thank you because your solution works great and it's perfect.

Hi

If I am just flying A-10 I don't need to do this right? Only if flying jets too?

The A-10 has no afterburner, so you won't need it at all. But even for flying jets with afterburner (not all jets have afterburners) it's not really necessary. It just improves the throttle handling, because you know exactly when you activate the afterburner.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The A-10 has no afterburner, so you won't need it at all. But even for flying jets with afterburner (not all jets have afterburners) it's not really necessary. It just improves the throttle handling, because you know exactly when you activate the afterburner.

Does that mean that the afterburner for all DCS jets that have it kicks in at the same throttle position (whether it's the Mirage, F-15 or Su-27) with that detent in place?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

No, it's a mess, every developer sets the detent in a different place, and you have to adjust the curves (either in the profiler or in DCS) to match that.

There's no easy interface for configuring afterburner position like it is in Falcon 4.0, it's trial and error using curve editor.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 3 months later...

I just found this thread,

it would be nice to have a solution which will work without 'opening' the throttle. Something with a screw or something...

Maybe a talented 3d printing artist can create such piece ;)

Not sure what do you mean, the original detent is designed so that you don't have to "open" the throttle, just unscrew the plastic part between the throttles (you don't have to screw it back, it sits firmly in place by itself).

I just fly the A10C and the Su-25T in DCS so can't comment on the AB calibration with the F 15 etc... I modified mine for Falcon BMS, you can set the AB detent in Falcon.

Something DCS should look into especially with the eventual release of the F 18C...

Attached is a photo of the area to trim... Remember just a little at a time equally on each side of the red guide.

Works great for me thanks. Rep to you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Great mod. :) I could not use the original detent because the whole set would lift!

Initially I went with the toothpic one to try and then replaced them with a piece of plastic. Much smoother now in the afterburner range. Here is my detent-piece.

attachment.php?attachmentid=146782&stc=1&d=1471773374

detent.jpg.71b71b74a9a9ea8d939465ab0c52ebe7.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

On this same topic, are there any shop/company out there selling a detent replacement?

Having a 3D printer would take care of the problem but it is not an option for me right now.

My systems:

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-8700k

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Asus ROG 2080ti

HP Reverb

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70Ghz

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Nvidia Quadro M4000M