VEAO is doing the A-4C "Skyhawk"?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking forward to the Skyhawk.

having seen the real aircraft at intrepid museum in NYC USA, cockpit is quite cramped inside.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8147/7181691170_e093b2e414_z.jpg

US Senator john McCain flew them in Vietnam.

M model and subsequent variants based on the M had an enlarged cockpit/canopy, still fairly small in comparison to others. A common phrase was "You don't fly A-4's, you wear 'em".

12-inch-Red-aviation-ordnance-logo-sticker-with-IYAOYAS-banner.png

Here some other interesting stuff. Some pics of 160038 that we lost during a CAX at the stumps in '82. When I found this site about 5 years ago - I could not believe there was still that much out there.

On 5/10/82, the A-4M Skyhawk #160038 crashed on a lava flow near the Twentynine Palms Marine Base after suffering from an engine failure during recovery from strafe run, pilot ejected after unsuccessful attempts to regain power.

The rest of the site has other A-4 and other aircraft crash sites.

12-inch-Red-aviation-ordnance-logo-sticker-with-IYAOYAS-banner.png

I was lucky enough To Watch the Blue Angels when they flew their A4's, it was a thing of beauty. in my honest opinion I do not believe there is any aircraft that lends itself to looking as beautiful in the air during close formation as the Skyhawk.

It had the right lines, the right amount of power, the right amount of top speed and the ability to do it all. And look good doing it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus X370, Win10 Pro, Intel I-9 9900K 4.8 128 gb TridentZ,

2X Nvidia TITAN V (volta) , 65" Samsung 7100 series 4K , 2 x 1 TB Evo 860SSD, 4 X 4TB HD, 8 X 2TB HD external array

Tmaster Wathog, Elgato Streamdeck, 3DX Spacepilot pro,, Thermaltake 900 tower Corsair H150 WC,

HTC Vive, Pimax 8KX VR, Nostromo Speedpad N52, Tmaster MFD x2

The Kiwi A4 drivers were outstanding opponents and truly skilled operators ... good tanker drivers too :)

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg

plugged.jpg

NZ did itself a great disservice disbanding its fast jet squadrons ... a skill set lost forever to NZ, ... though many other Air forces reaped the benefit by recruiting the A4 drivers.

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 1
Some very impressive flying there.. the line abreast roll at 2.00 was quite something, then the air refuelling in a roll, and the speed of those solo passes... pretty, pretty good :)

They were awesome to watch, they lost an A4 and pilot doing the refuelling in a roll not long before the A4s were retired. The RNZAF also did some very good mock airfield attacks during their displays back then which were awesome to watch and extremely low.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

The Kiwi A4 drivers were outstanding opponents and truly skilled operators ... good tanker drivers too :)

NZ did itself a great disservice disbanding its fast jet squadrons ... a skill set lost forever to NZ, ... though many other Air forces reaped the benefit by recruiting the A4 drivers.

That's quite true and the skys since been quite quiet without any combat jets flying around aside P3s dropping Mk82s lol.:D At least they are getting new trainers...T6s.:thumbup:

New-Zealand-T6C.jpg

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Well here's about as close as I ever got to the A-4, this was at the 1987 RNZAF 50th Anniversary airshow.

Obviously not as exciting as IvanK's experiences with the RAAF against the RNZAF (in case people didn't realise, that photo of the Hornet doing IFR with the A-4K is his POV at the time).

a-4-2.thumb.jpg.15d191858dad0c883162e71046344416.jpg

from what i see in the photos, you can do the a-4c and the a-4p/q . if you shorten the nose you can have a B model, or A model.

if it were only that simple…:)

The models have different flight characteristics, different engines, different fuel systems and certainly different avionics. To do a good and proper job would require a whole new flight model and all of the programming that goes into that.

There were 21 different models of the A4 Skyhawk. And when I started the project, I made the decision to model just a couple that had the most differences and were the most iconic so as to make it viable to do them. I think I can safely say you won't be disappointed:thumbup:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2X Nvidia TITAN V (volta) , 65" Samsung 7100 series 4K , 2 x 1 TB Evo 860SSD, 4 X 4TB HD, 8 X 2TB HD external array

Tmaster Wathog, Elgato Streamdeck, 3DX Spacepilot pro,, Thermaltake 900 tower Corsair H150 WC,

Some more 3-D eye candy to whet your appetites.

a4c1.thumb.jpg.5ee0b00f124abefb08805f1c96a4d516.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well here's about as close as I ever got to the A-4, this was at the 1987 RNZAF 50th Anniversary airshow.

Obviously not as exciting as IvanK's experiences with the RAAF against the RNZAF (in case people didn't realise, that photo of the Hornet doing IFR with the A-4K is his POV at the time).

Haha I think I sat in that exact same skyhawk. Was it Whenuapai Airshow for the Golden Anniversary? I think I have a picture of the Golden TA-4 somewhere.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Has ED hired you for DCS F-18C yet? : ) We had a Sqn of F-18's in 94 visiting Ohakea next to our Macchi's. Lovely birds indeed. Best sight though was one of your F-111's absolutely punching it at low level over the base before leaving for home.

Edited by X93355
terrible spelling

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Haha I think I sat in that exact same skyhawk. Was it Whenuapai Airshow for the Golden Anniversary? I think I have a picture of the Golden TA-4 somewhere.

It was at Ohakea - what a great day that was. The one and only time I got to see the Delta lady and the first time I ever so a Hornet (which I've seen many times since I moved across the ditch).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I have some not so good news on this project.

As a responsible developer one of our golden rules is that we will not develop a module without an agreement or waiver from an aircraft manufacturer, its common knowledge that this was one of the main hold ups with development of the Hawk.

As such we have been in talks with McDonnell Douglas (A division of Boeing) regarding obtaining agreements for the A-4C and the A-4M Skyhawks.

Sadly the terms offered to us in exchange for the licence are not economically viable for the project to continue. Therefore we have to stop works on the Skyhawk and park the project indefinitely.

Obviously this is a disappointing development not least for the DCS community but the members from the VEAO development team who have put blood sweat and tears into the project.

I want to publically thank the members of the Skyhawk development team for their hard work and commitment to this project.

But one thing in life is for sure, as one door closes another one opens.

Obviously due to the sensitive nature of commercial discussions such as this there is only limited amount of information that we can divulge in public but true to the nature of the relationship Chris and I work hard to maintain with you all we wanted to bring you this news as soon as we were able.

On behalf of everyone at VEAO we thank you for your understanding regarding this announcement.

Pman

VEAO Consumer Products Manager.

Sadly the terms offered to us in exchange for the licence are not economically viable for the project to continue. Therefore we have to stop works on the Skyhawk and park the project indefinitely.

Aww.. That's too bad. :(

Let's hope situation improves in the future.

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."