Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
From Oculus's good practices guide:

• Your code should run at a frame rate equal to or greater than the Rift display refresh rate, vsynced and unbuffered. Lag and dropped frames produce judder which is discomforting in VR. Ideally, target 20ms or less motion-to-photon latency
  • Game loop latency is not a single constant and varies over time. The SDK uses some tricks (e.g., predictive tracking, TimeWarp) to shield the user from the effects of latency, but do everything you can to minimize variability in latency across an experience.

I think DCS needs deep changes :music_whistling:

One of the biggest reasons for the new engine is for improved frame rates. This will help a lot in meeting comfortable performance requirements. We already support predictive tracking and Time Warp.

I've noticed an increase in FPS whilst playing 1.2.9 compared to 1.2.8.... anyone else getting this?

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

same here... don't back out now :D

Lol, no issues there guys. Sadly UPS were unable to deliver yesterday and don't deliver on the weekend, so now they are currently saying Monday. It's hell knowing it's sat in their depot only 15 miles away from me. :(

All going well, first impressions should be put up on Tues. Need Monday to fly. ;)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Sadly depot isn't open either. :( So have to wait until Monday no matter what.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Mine arrives Tuesday! I have to work but will rush home in time for UPS to try it. I'll post my experience later Tuesday if no one else does before me. I've been using DK1 with DCS for a while so I can give a good description of the differences between the two.

one of my FSX Buddies is trying to code an input mixer

he has a $10 webcam mounted to his unit and plugged into the DK2 USB Port.

has a early alpha plugin that allows him to mix game output with webcam input with a hot key press. which allows him to see 100% game, 100% webcam or 50/50 mix. Which allows him ot use his FSX Switch boards and stuff :)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Sadly depot isn't open either. :( So have to wait until Monday no matter what.

Cowboy10uk

Well at least you are almost there - I'm still pending.

Last known order switched to processing on Thursday - order date at 2:40pm PDT on the 19th. I placed my order at 2:53pm PDT on the 19th.

Yeah good stuff....

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

• ED Team

Given that some of you are now getting your DK2s, I thought this might be of interest.

1- As much as possible, you will want to maximize your frame rate, 75 FPS min if possible. However, given the current res of the DK2, I could not notice too many visible changes after backing off my graphic settings. You’ll want to play around with your settings to find your best balance.

2- Cockpits with a lot of dramatic geometry look best. I’m particularly fond of the Su-25T, UH-1H and F-86F.

3- Some HUDs seem more readable than others. For instance, I can read much of the HUD indication on the Ka-50 HUD. Others, not as easily. Aircraft like the F-86F, P-51D, Huey and Hip work very well given the lack of a busy HUD.

4- While the res is much better than the DK1 spotting targets is still almost impossible. I realize it’s a sin, but you may want to consider labels… I do!

5- After spending hours in the DK2, I have yet to feel at all unwell. This is compared to the DK1 that would give me headaches and nausea after just a few minutes.

6- The 6 DOF support really shines in DCS. The sense of presence is outstanding.

7- I now have a perpetual sore neck after doing several ACM flights. I’m tempted to attach a couple of grab handles to my monitor that I can grab on to in order to more easily check six! You get a much better sense of the fight geometry with the Rift.

8- Landing are a breeze now. You get a much better sense of speed and altitude.

9- After centering the view at the start of mission (KP 5), I never had to re-center.

10- Using a HOTAS, I very rarely had to press a key. When I did, I was able to easily look through the vents to find the needed key.

11- We are using predictive tracking and TimeWarp.

Fun times!

Somehow I feel time is going backwards. Can't wait to get my dk2. My order is still Processing :cry:

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

Given that some of you are now getting your DK2s, I thought this might be of interest.

1- As much as possible, you will want to maximize your frame rate, 75 FPS min if possible. However, given the current res of the DK2, I could not notice too many visible changes after backing off my graphic settings. You’ll want to play around with your settings to find your best balance.

2- Cockpits with a lot of dramatic geometry look best. I’m particularly fond of the Su-25T, UH-1H and F-86F.

3- Some HUDs seem more readable than others. For instance, I can read much of the HUD indication on the Ka-50 HUD. Others, not as easily. Aircraft like the F-86F, P-51D, Huey and Hip work very well given the lack of a busy HUD.

4- While the res is much better than the DK1 spotting targets is still almost impossible. I realize it’s a sin, but you may want to consider labels… I do!

5- After spending hours in the DK2, I have yet to feel at all unwell. This is compared to the DK1 that would give me headaches and nausea after just a few minutes.

6- The 6 DOF support really shines in DCS. The sense of presence is outstanding.

7- I now have a perpetual sore neck after doing several ACM flights. I’m tempted to attach a couple of grab handles to my monitor that I can grab on to in order to more easily check six! You get a much better sense of the fight geometry with the Rift.

8- Landing are a breeze now. You get a much better sense of speed and altitude.

9- After centering the view at the start of mission (KP 5), I never had to re-center.

10- Using a HOTAS, I very rarely had to press a key. When I did, I was able to easily look through the vents to find the needed key.

11- We are using predictive tracking and TimeWarp.

Fun times!

Wags can you confirm that 1.2.9 was compiled with the latest SDK, headset firmware and oculus runtime that was released a few days ago? It made some changes and several people on reddit and oculus forum have reported dcs isn't working for them. I've yet to read of a new dk2 owner getting it to work.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

No, not since last month. It's possible these recent changes broke 1.2.9 compatibility.

UE4 integration along with other early access developer software has the same issue. It seems anything compiled with the 0.3sdk does not work with runtime 0.4 :-(

I'm not sure if oculus can fix it or if it requires recompiling 1.2.9 with the 0.4SDK.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

UE4 integration along with other early access developer software has the same issue. It seems anything compiled with the 0.3sdk does not work with runtime 0.4 :-(

I'm not sure if oculus can fix it or if it requires recompiling 1.2.9 with the 0.4SDK.

Can you Roll back to the .3 SDK?

I've been chatting with AMD and some people with OR, as it's not limited to DCS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Can you Roll back to the .3 SDK?

I've been chatting with AMD and some people with OR, as it's not limited to DCS.

I don't think the SDK used by ED was ever public. I may be wrong.

I don't think the SDK used by ED was ever public. I may be wrong.

i meant can the end-user/client roll back to use .3 firmware and stuff

i meant can the end-user/client roll back to use .3 firmware and stuff

They can. Provided the earlier version is available. The version released last week is the only publicly available DK2 version. I think (and could be corrected on this) that ED had an early build which was not publicly released.

There may be a possible workaround by installing a camera driver and removing the oculus 0.4 runtime. I won't have my DK2 until Tuesday so I can't check.

Perhaps Oculus can resolve the issue. It seems crazy that they give certain software houses early access for development and then break it on them as soon as they release the dev kit to the rest of the dev community.

Im searching the Oculus Forums, but from talking to people on other sites, it seems the Update doesnt like AMD GPUs.

This is the official Oculus message relating to UE4. I suspect DCS has the same issue.

Hey guys.

As many of you recently figured out DK2 and UE4 4.3 do not work together if Oculus Runtime 0.4 is installed.

We apologize for the mess. I want to confirm that UE4 4.3 is indeed DK2-ready. The problem is the new 0.4 Runtime that unfortunately is incompatible with 0.3-based apps for now. We are working on resolving this issue right now, as well as preparing a new integration of UE4 and Oculus SDK 0.4.

As a workaround for now - you should not install 0.4 Runtime while you use UE4 4.3. Instead, you'll need to install a DK2 camera driver, download link:

http://static.oculusvr.com/sdk-downloads/Oculus+VR+Camera+Installer.exe

(Note: you will need to uninstall this driver later when you decide to switch to 0.4).

If you already have installed 0.4 Runtime then you may either uninstall it and install the camera driver from above, or you need to disable the OVRService by performing the following steps:

1) Remove or Disable the "Oculus Service Scheduler" from the Windows Task Scheduler: "Start" button -> "Task Scheduler"

2) Switch display mode to Extended mode or uninstall the Oculus Display Driver;

3) Remove "OculusConfigUtil.exe" from Programs -> Startup (For example, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup).

On top of that the headset also had a firmware upgrade released. I'm not sure if that would need to be avoided. I just hope Wags has a hotline to Oculus HQ and it will have all been fixed by Tuesday so I can avoid the above hack.

I did ask about this in the thread earlier in the week. I found it odd that oculus delayed release by a week to finish the SDK yet official DCS support was ready!