Where are the Multiplayer players?

Dudester22

The Steam release made DCS more unstable, but it's been better since.

The problem is that most of Steam users prefer an instant gratification.

Steam users are like Console users on PC.

They dont even read the first sentence in DCS World description or watch the video, or check the System Requirements.

They just download 10GBs only because it's FREE.

Then they dont even check the Settings or use the Training button but jump straight into the MP and pick everything but the Su-25T, resulting in a lot of AI respawning, cause the stability issues.

I can fly for hours on one sever with players, until new ones start coming in and spawning AI ghost bugs and mess it up for everyone.

I swear, it's because of the Steamers, need to disable the slots that the modules aren't installed for, and then the problem is solved, 90% of it, I'm sure.

Then please do contact someone at ED. For each and every one of us.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Grimes' help, we have come up with the code to get rid of the AI aircraft spawned by people selecting an aircraft they do not own. Must be using/have loaded mist prior to this script and it should not interfere with any other scripts in place.

local function removeclientAI()
for unitName, unitData in pairs(mist.DBs.humansByName) do
	if Unit.getByName(unitName) and not Unit.getByName(unitName):getPlayerName() then
		Unit.getByName(unitName):getGroup():destroy()
	elseif Unit.getByName(unitName) and Unit.getByName(unitName):getPlayerName() == '' then
		Unit.getByName(unitName):getGroup():destroy()
	elseif Unit.getByName(unitName) and Unit.getByName(unitName):getPlayerName() then

else

end
	--trigger.action.outText(totaltxt, 5)
end
end

local AIHandler = function(event)
       if event.id ~= nil then
                   timer.scheduleFunction(removeclientAI, nil, timer.getTime() + 0.1)
       end
   end
mist.addEventHandler(AIHandler)

That being said, we are still having a fair number of crashes due to other stability issues. Has this code helped any? still to early to say, it has eliminated the ATC spamming the client created AI does so that in itself is worth it.

The Steam release made DCS more unstable, but it's been better since.

The problem is that most of Steam users prefer an instant gratification.

Steam users are like Console users on PC.

They dont even read the first sentence in DCS World description or watch the video, or check the System Requirements.

They just download 10GBs only because it's FREE.

Then they dont even check the Settings or use the Training button but jump straight into the MP and pick everything but the Su-25T, resulting in a lot of AI respawning, cause the stability issues.

Instant gratification is part and parcel with the gaming world, knowing no different is to be expected and shouldn't be frowned upon because of this. It takes time to get infected with the sim bug but it does and has happened, unfortunately it requires the participant to actually enjoy the experience, disconnects and crashes don't help this transformation from casual gamer to hooked simmer. It takes a lot to open the eyes of an individual who unwittingly knows no different.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

unfortunately it requires the participant to actually enjoy the experience, disconnects and crashes don't help this transformation from casual gamer to hooked simmer.

Very well said! Even a passionate long time flyer like myself is struggling to 'enjoy' the sim these days, we are slowly making progress though and the stability is coming back.

'I can't wait' is a very over used phrase but I'm sure most of us 'can't wait' to get back to the good old FC2 days, 50 clients in a server, insane BVR and BFM engagements, lots of regular flyers on most nights of the week and stable sessions.

Ahhhhh seems like that was all a dream now :D

Getting people hooked on DCS will be a lot easier once we get it up to that sort of standard (stability wise) ... I know its been a long wait already but it'll be worth it in the end!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

I used to frequent DCS online quite often. I still plan to in the future, but at the moment I'm awaiting AFM/DCS fighters and possibly some hardware upgrades.

Crashes etc did happen occasionally, but for me they weren't deal breaking.

;1915647']50 clients in a server, insane BVR and BFM engagements, lots of regular flyers on most nights of the week and stable sessions.

This I do miss. Even if I haven't had major stability issues, it seems enough other have to reduce the player population.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

ED should stop to develop this and that, first they should put their whole manpower on fixing the MP issue.

• Like 1

Win10, Intel 2500K@4,4 MHz, 16GB RAM, ASUS STRIX-GTX1060, SSD CRUCIAL MX300 525 GB, 4K TV LG 50UH635V, FreeTrack, X52

;1915647']

...'I can't wait' is a very over used phrase but I'm sure most of us 'can't wait' to get back to the good old FC2 days, 50 clients in a server, insane BVR and BFM engagements, lots of regular flyers on most nights of the week and stable sessions...

Golden age of modern air combat!!

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Dudes, we flew for like 5 hours on <51st> with a full server today, and it's still running. Also 104th had people and hasn't crashed yet.

1.2.6c has fixed it, it seems. Try it out. They are still up and running..

I'd love to share your enthusiasm but meanwhile: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1915711#post1915711

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

I'd love to share your enthusiasm but meanwhile: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1915711#post1915711

Indeed. The sim appears to be pretty stable under certain circumstances. The more AI, triggers, scripting, etc that gets added on tends to destabilize the experience. While I do enjoy some good old fashioned A2A engagements with bare bones defenses protecting bases, I'm also the guy who thought it was a good idea to make a mission with 600 triggers. Its getting better, but there is still room for improvement.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Since setting up our server 223rd CAS Dedicated Server. It has become more stable in last few days. Which is on 24hr/ 7days and at times getting full with players and members with little or no complaints.

Edited by Jetkar

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steam ID: Jetkar

Steam Group: 223rd CAS

Join and fly with us on the 223rd CAS Dedicated server

Servers are plenty stable with no dynamic weather, few AI and fewer still that are actually doing anything and not just sitting around waiting to be killed- and minimal use of triggers. I'm not sure that's the point anyone here is trying to refute. \

A couple of my recent crashes had to do with scripts I likely messed up- but a TON of them have nothing to do with that...

Anyway, we'll keep chipping away at it.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

I'm really getting irritated at the number of servers popping up that are not allowing external view...at least put a disclaimer up in the server list.

Also, I DCS needs to get involved and make a concerted effort for some multi-player missions. Dare I say...it's the one thing the console kids have right....replayability. The pointless "training" servers are a dime-a-dozen, and it gets really old.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Is there any players out there that just want to fly a different mission once a week. I would just like to fly a multiplayer mission with different aircraft in the air at same time. I would even fly against the AI. Just tried of the same missions over and over. People working together to complete a mission. Not going after kills. This is my two cents. Thanks.

Personally, I rarely go on public servers primarily because DCSW currently rather unstable for MP, and the other reason is that ED favors F-15C with AIM-120 , and gives them super-power in relation to the Russian aircraft and missiles. This is probably because of the market and because many customers with so-called. "Western countries" who like to fly the F-15 and of course winning the aerial duel, but for my taste the difference and advantage is still too high for a fair fight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

I'm really getting irritated at the number of servers popping up that are not allowing external view...at least put a disclaimer up in the server list.

Also, I DCS needs to get involved and make a concerted effort for some multi-player missions. Dare I say...it's the one thing the console kids have right....replayability. The pointless "training" servers are a dime-a-dozen, and it gets really old.

What irritates me is people expecting everyone else to serve to their wants and needs.

They should put a disclaimer on multiplayer 'if you don't like the server host your own'

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

...ED favors F-15C with AIM-120 , and gives them super-power in relation to the Russian aircraft and missiles. This is probably because of the market and because many customers with so-called...

No, you are wrong. First, F-15C & AIM-120 are good, but also in real life. Their performance is simulated as accurately as simplified flight model allows. The same holds true for russian birds...

Second: ED tweaked performance of R-27ET recently (maybe even overrated its "miraculous" detection range a little for the purpose of better in-game ballance), so now it is formidable weapon once again. Even Su-27 (as it is in DCS right now) has very good chance against F15+AIM120, and MiG-29C with 4xR77+2xR27ET stands even better. You just have to learn strongpoints and weakpoints of every jet...

Is it possible that you fix the AWACS or it's not a bug on your end? It's a huge chaos as it is right now.

Personally, I rarely go on public servers primarily because DCSW currently rather unstable for MP, and the other reason is that ED favors F-15C with AIM-120 , and gives them super-power in relation to the Russian aircraft and missiles. This is probably because of the market and because many customers with so-called. "Western countries" who like to fly the F-15 and of course winning the aerial duel, but for my taste the difference and advantage is still too high for a fair fight.

Well it's not their fault is it. They're trying to make it as realistic as possible. 120C is pretty overwhelming IRL.

I know you're gonna call me a fanboy or something, and I do fly the F-15 mostly (although planning to learn the russians soon to understand them better). Still if you work with a wingman and know how to fight on your terms you can beat the Eagles. If you fight on their terms then you're just doing it wrong.

ET is just as powerful as a 120C, just in a slightly different way. Situational awareness is much more of a deciding factor than having the "bigger stick". You will see those 120s being thrown at you all along, but pretty much the only way to find an ET is to visually spot it. When you get sneaked you'll be unlikely to find that missile until it's too late.

Edited by <Blaze>

I would just like to fly a multiplayer mission with different aircraft in the air at same time. I would even fly against the AI. Just tried of the same missions over and over. People working together to complete a mission. Not going after kills. This is my two cents. Thanks.

Keep your eye out for the new mission Coming Soon™ on the 314th server. Very large mission with an 80km long FLOT, 3 hours worth of various AI flight activity, and resource system utilized for some extra challenge. So far in early beta testing it is running surprisingly well.

It would be a big help to have a "planning" stage in multiplayer so that people joining servers had to go through some sort of "map reading/see where the targets are" type of exercise before committing to flight. Their plan could go into a DTS so they could look at some intel and come up with a flight plan based on it. That one thing would be a huge game changer for us all. (I know - I'm just wishing :beer:)

As it is, we fly on closed servers now because

a) Despite spending money and time on trying to get a dedicated server running, we've always ended up with snags. Most of us can only host 4-6, and a few can manage 10. That's only enough for squadmates most of the time.

b) Mission making takes a lot of time, and that's for small scale 4-10 player type stuff. More than that and it get's mindboggling trying to make the AI behave in a semi believable way. Please don't take this the wrong way, I love the <51st>, 104th etc but more often than not I know where the ground targets are :). That doesn't detract from the experience, because getting there is often a bit of a challenge. (OK - I die. A lot :lol:)

This quite often has to do with fighters not working to protect the ground pounders. (again it's not a dig - quite a lot of them do - it's just not possible to control it)

So, although it's fun, I need to be in the right mood for one of the big open PvP servers - as often or not I (and my squadmates) want to run a specific scenario or practice a task. Or just mess about!

c) Unless someone joins a server and talks to everyone on teamspeak etc - then they won't know the plan and will either leave or blow stuff up that they shouldn't. Cool and useful stuff like TARS only add to the learning curve.

All of these things lead IMO to people playing in smaller groups, on passworded servers.

Nothing wrong with that - but it does give the impression of an unwelcoming MP environment. It's not (I know) - but from the outside I can see how it may be seen to be. All I can add is that we welcome absolutely anybody to come and play with us, all we want is you to be on our teamspeak first. Not too much surely?

Andy

http://www.combined-ops-group.com

I understand your point of view Andy, it is what usually suits squad mates best. Other than through forums there is nowhere to actually meet up with new people and form the basis of a Squad or group.

I think large open servers with TeamSpeak access encourage this to benefit the community, this is the whole idea behind such a server, open to the public to enjoy amongst many other like minded strangers with the option to make new friends and improve and help grow the community. There is a time and a place for special occasions such as events of the past and hopefully stability pending - in the future, but 24/7 people need a place to meet up with old and new and kill stuff together or each other. That is crucial to keeping MP alive for now.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Oh - I agree. What you guys and the other constantly open servers do is a real service to the community. I know this more perhaps than most having tried to do it myself a little bit!

I also really like flying on the open servers, but DCS (especially the A-10 etc) has so much possibility that we tend to gravitate toward small scale stuff in our own servers just to try and keep our skills up.

My longwinded point was that there is more than likely a lot of multiplayer going on that people never get to see - for good reasons. So I don't think multiplayer is dying out, just getting more insular.

Maybe us private(ish) squads should all make more of an effort to come and get shot down by you guys :). (I got a Mig with an A-10C in your server a couple of weeks ago - I felt a million dollars before I was handed my ego back on a plate:lol:). It's too easy to sit in you're own niche and not take part.

When was the last time you tried to join multi-player?

It has been stable since the last patch.

No server crashes, and no client crashes since the patch before that.

10+ hours same mission with players on <51st> yesterday, for example.

They have also improved the ERs/ETs.

Haven't seen so many ER kills in a long time.

DCS MP is back! Try it out!

I suggest, you try the MP with each patch before making an assumption based on months ago..

10+ hours same mission without a crash? And how many online? 5?

I've flown for 3-4 hours today or so and the 51st crashed with ~2h uptime under 20 guys, then 159th crashed with 15 around 1h.. then I joined the new WAR server which crashed pretty much immediately but it was backed up straight away, and then ran for another hour until the next crash..

I played on a server called Virtual Aerobatics over 2 nights and it seemed to crash on the 2 hour mark each time. Can someone please explain why these servers seem to run for a set period of time before crashing out? I would also like to know if ED are putting any resources into trying to fix this? I personally, find it very annoying especially when you do a ramp start, taxi to the runway and suddenly the server disappears.

My other concern is will they ever fix this? I mean, how long has DCS World been going now?