Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
luthier1

Reputation power: 17
luthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of lightluthier1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Normandy Development Update - October 16, 2013

Hello folks,

I’ve been absolutely swamped these past few days. Catching a plane to Moscow in a couple of hours, so I probably won’t respond to any questions or comments on this update for at least 24 hours.

Here’s where we are with Normandy today.

We started working on a 1:1 recreation of Utah beach. It’ll be one of the areas recreated down to each street, each object. It’s obviously in the very early stages.

We’re playing around with the representation of the areas with German defensive flooding, and trying to get it so you can still see the fields and villages underneath the floodwaters.

We’re also just generally laying out all the important areas, roads, bridges, villages, and so on.

Finally, we’re also working on different types of coastal cliffs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LandViewer-2013-10-16-06-08-03-87.jpg
Views:	3185
Size:	831.0 KB
ID:	89594   Click image for larger version

Name:	LandViewer-2013-10-16-06-09-05-88.jpg
Views:	3236
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	89595   Click image for larger version

Name:	LandViewer-2013-10-16-06-13-31-99.jpg
Views:	3172
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	89596  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LandViewer-2013-10-16-06-20-21-28.jpg
Views:	3519
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	89597  
luthier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Boberro
Veteran

Reputation power: 237
Boberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant future

Looks interesting

Boberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 79
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to SiThSpAwN

Very nice, although would the flood waters be very clear that you could see through them? I would assume they would be pretty muddy... lets hope you can do different terrain types to that if someone rolls a tank into them I would imagine it would be a big muddy mess and probably get stuck....

It's not the opinion that breaks the rules, its the delivery of that opinion • ED Product TermsED External Communication Policy example
Veteran of the DCS WWII July update thread of Two Thousand Fourteen • You're so vain, I bet you think this post is about you. • "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Raven68

Reputation power: 23
Raven68 is just really niceRaven68 is just really niceRaven68 is just really niceRaven68 is just really niceRaven68 is just really niceRaven68 is just really niceRaven68 is just really niceRaven68 is just really niceRaven68 is just really nice
Send a message via Yahoo to Raven68

Thanks Ilya!

Looks like a good start!
Geforce GTX 970 4096MB (358.50 driver version),
Windows 10 Professional
DX 12.0
Raven68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Jeesus

Reputation power: 4
Jeesus has a spectacular aura aboutJeesus has a spectacular aura aboutJeesus has a spectacular aura aboutJeesus has a spectacular aura about

Very, very Nice!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
GT 5.0

Reputation power: 5
GT 5.0 has a spectacular aura aboutGT 5.0 has a spectacular aura aboutGT 5.0 has a spectacular aura aboutGT 5.0 has a spectacular aura aboutGT 5.0 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks llya looks good!...think of the flooding as just big puddles some deeper than others. Couple of inches, couple of feet...just enough to mud things up and slow things down
GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Blarney

Blarney is on a distinguished roadBlarney is on a distinguished road

Awesome indeed...
Win7 64
Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
HolyGrail_FxFactory

Reputation power: 0
HolyGrail_FxFactory is on a distinguished road

Excellent ! thank you for the heads up !
HolyGrail_FxFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Einherjer

Einherjer has a spectacular aura aboutEinherjer has a spectacular aura aboutEinherjer has a spectacular aura aboutEinherjer has a spectacular aura aboutEinherjer has a spectacular aura about

Really nice - i was there this Summer for a week, Great landscape!
Einherjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
mazex

Reputation power: 7
mazex will become famous soon enoughmazex will become famous soon enoughmazex will become famous soon enoughmazex will become famous soon enough

Even though I appreciate the effort - a feet or two of water poured over a field will never be blue from above - or from any angle . But I'm sure you are well aware of that and this is just a very first test... But still - I think that the flooding (even though historically correct) will be very hard to get right? If you "pour" brownish water over the fields it will probably just look strange anyway? Water like that should not have a "defined" edge, but rather a "fade to soaked ground/mud" - and I just can't see that done right without a lot of effort that could be spent on more important stuff? Many will for sure not agree

Something like this flooded field IRL - but how to get this right in a sim?

But I do like the new cliffs! Good stuff!

Last edited by mazex; 10-16-2013 at 06:21 PM.
mazex is offline   Reply With Quote