DCS WWII: Europe 1944

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no reason to worry about trees as collision objects if I'm flying a P-47 in close air support:

2779969303_e0e026be31_o.jpg

I've seen a few dozen other examples over the years...

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

In other words, I'm potentially open to the idea, but perhaps it needs a bigger discussion with the community. We might try to add on some England and show how it can be done quickly, just so it's there, and then ask and see if the majority of the players would rather have something like that, or have nothing at all.

Please do!! Maybe let the highest backers vote on it. Let them try it and decide.

It would be risky though. Those who like the longer high altitude flights would appreciate it, but those are a minority. Majority of the players would probably complain about the vague terrain.

ROF has a relatively small Channel map, it stops South of London so avoiding the problems surrounding modelling the whole city. People seem very happy with it.

http://riseofflight.com/Blogs/post/2012/11/22/Progress-on-the-Channel-Map-Halberstadt-DII-and-HUGE-Sale!-November-22-28th.aspx

There were quite a few WW2 airfields South of London.

Edited by Mogster

Two questions for Luthier:

* atm we don't have a proper WW2 wingman AI - main point being the wingman needs to stay with the leader all the time. Will RRG or ED work on this?

* will AI be able to see through clouds in EDGE? (like it is now)

Imho both points are very important for a WW2 combat flight sim.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

ROF has a relatively small Channel map, it stops South of London so avoiding the problems surrounding modelling the whole city. People seem very happy with it.

http://riseofflight.com/Blogs/post/2012/11/22/Progress-on-the-Channel-Map-Halberstadt-DII-and-HUGE-Sale!-November-22-28th.aspx

Good starting point, stretch it south to Normandy and west to Cologne.

Easy. :thumbup:

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Apples and Oranges...

Their point was to create the war in the English Channel in WW1. There was no Battle of Britain with WW1-planes, not even daring to speak of bomber-fleets, that were able to attack London in a large scale.

Besides that, going 160 km in a 80 km/h plane is a much different task, than going the same distance in a plane with 400 km/h+...

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Yes the map is small even for WW1 era aircraft. It was just an example of how we could have English airfields to takoff from using a relatively small map that didn't include major cities.

Obviously bigger would be better but expecting a map covering York to Berlin is completely unrealistic.

I never said anything about the sim portraying the invasion at all. I merely brought it up with respect to the use of the year in the name, and the Normandy area being the first map released. This is why I used the word 'themed' in my post.
I know cichlidfan. Don't jump to conclusions, I was merely pondering the possible scenarios.

Agree ... need a man-cloud to hide in and shake off trackers.
Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

I feel bad about saying this, but I think it really needs to be said.

Luthier needs to show us more videos. I'm not talking about small talk in the local coffee shop... I mean Artwork, WIP, anything concrete that stimulates our fertile imagination! I understand he appeals to the passionate flight simmers that we are, but he needs to look further and convince other people by showing concrete examples (pictures and videos, please!) of what these guys are capable of. The current project presentation and fighter collection videos are nice, but they're not gonna cut it. Not by a long shot.

I don't think that many people are interested in knowing how much these guys love aviation. We all know it. Other people probably won't care. RRG studios need to show us incentives to buy this one!

I feel bad about saying this, but I think it really needs to be said.

Luthier needs to show us more videos. I'm not talking about small talk in the local coffee shop... I mean Artwork, WIP, anything concrete that stimulates our fertile imagination! I understand he appeals to the passionate flight simmers that we are, but he needs to look further and convince other people by showing concrete examples (pictures and videos, please!) of what these guys are capable of. The current project presentation and fighter collection videos are nice, but they're not gonna cut it. Not by a long shot.

I don't think that many people are interested in knowing how much these guys love aviation. We all know it. Other people probably won't care. RRG studios need to show us incentives to buy this one!

I agree. I need to see more than the Flying Legends. I have supported me to see at least a small sample (screenshots, video) DCS WWII: Europe 1944

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://ag-simulatory.cz/

That alone would be sufficient to convince many to back a DCS WWII series. Has there been any contact with Boeing to find out the licensing requirements and costs?

I'd really like to have English airfields to takeoff from and land on. With a brit accented ATC, of course. And wind sacks ^^

I'm starting to think we might need to shuffle things about a little bit.

We'll try to change the immediate next stretch goal, and make it a flyable B-17 and British airfields. Move all other stretch goal aircraft one tier up.

We'll talk this over and have a decision for you within a day or two.

Also going to work on adding some more attractive backer rewards.

Oh trust me, I'm very familiar with southern England :)

* atm we don't have a proper WW2 wingman AI - main point being the wingman needs to stay with the leader all the time. Will RRG or ED work on this?

RRG does not currently have a dedicated AI programmer.

We could theoretically look into hiring one for this project, which would probably give us tons and tons of cool stuff over the course of the project, but I really don't know how to budget for that. We're already pretty far out there for a stretch goal. I'm kind of cautious about adding too many tiers or too many options. If I add, for example, and intermediate "improved AI" stretch goal, all as a part of all additional stretch goals, that might turn off some other people, and make it seem like the aircraft they really want are too far away.

ED has programmers too, of course. We however do not have a current plan for AI improvement.

No clue at this point.

This new video is basically introduction part 2. Nick Grey is a hugely important part of this project, but it felt like putting him in the initial video made everything way too long.

It's also not about passion but about our relationship with TFC. This has immediate, direct, and unique impact on the product. We have access to the actual aircraft and the actual pilot. That's not sentimentality or small talk at all. These are the precise reasons why DCS: P-51 is the best prop simulation available today.

I have another talk video all put together, which I foolishly planned to release as video 3, but I realized the error of my ways while uploading video 2 this morning. Video 3 will be a detailed look at EDGE. Video 4 will be a detailed overview of aircraft modeling in DCS. Video 5 will be a video QnA, and then video 6 will probably be the thing I planned for Video 3.

I also have to point out that it's all just me. I write the scripts, I direct, I shoot, I edit, I release, I discuss. I don't have a marketing staff, anything like that. I'm learning as I go. Hopefully I can do enough to reach at least one stretch goal in the next 30 days. Please don't let the fact that I'm not a marketing professional or a filmmaker influence your opinion of myself as a game developer!

• Like 1

We'll try to change the immediate next stretch goal, and make it a flyable B-17 and British airfields. Move all other stretch goal aircraft one tier up.

I have another talk video all put together, which I foolishly planned to release as video 3, but I realized the error of my ways while uploading video 2 this morning. Video 3 will be a detailed look at EDGE. Video 4 will be a detailed overview of aircraft modeling in DCS. Video 5 will be a video QnA, and then video 6 will probably be the thing I planned for Video 3.

I also have to point out that it's all just me. I write the scripts, I direct, I shoot, I edit, I release, I discuss. I don't have a marketing staff, anything like that. I'm learning as I go. Hopefully I can do enough to reach at least one stretch goal in the next 30 days. Please don't let the fact that I'm not a marketing professional or a filmmaker influence your opinion of myself as a game developer!

That's exactly why I (and many others) trust you with this project, Luthier. You have a direct, no bullsh*t approach to flight simulators, which is a quality that I admire. I understand that you don't have a 1-bazillion-$ budget for marketing and that you're working your butt off to make it happen. Don't let up, we're 100 % with you on that one.

Edited by Charly_Owl

We'll talk this over and have a decision for you within a day or two.

This would be absoulutely awesome!

Guess I have to install B-17 Mighty 8th again until release :D

I'd scratch the Me-262 in favor of a more prolific/popular German fighter. Also move up the P-38 to a closer stretch goal. A/B-26 would be awesome of course, I'd prefer it over the B-17. My two cents.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A flyable B17, to DCS standards would be incredible, and a British airfield to fly from so I would certainly support that idea! Do Norfolk, its flat, and empty ;)

Edited by Uther

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1