DCS WWII: Europe 1944

I really hope Ilya and the People behind him can pull this off. I played all versions of Il2 since the initial release and god did i pumped some fighter sim hours in it. Clod was a huge disappointment for me and after i bought it i barerly touched it :( But hey you guys are still in my list of heroes in the pixel industry and im 200% behind you guys. Godspeed !!!

g8PjVMw.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the map can be extended a bit more... we are used to 800+km across map :D .

Maybe community building the map would be possible in the future? I mean the developing team gives as tasks to community to model specific locations, towns or areas. They give tools to place buildings, objects, trees, forest and the best creation gets to be inserted into actual map. The map could be cut in small bits that are useless by them selves and then the objects are just copy paste to big one.

There are many people that know or have access to historical data about how particular places looked or have time and dedication for such work and could help such project progress better and faster.

Could it be possible?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

The size of the map is a bit of a disappointment (expectations can be a biotch), but It looks like we'll get a territory reaching approximately from Cherbourg to Le Havre and a good bit south--assuming that my Google Earth distance thingie is accurate. Still, even in 1944, Normandy was a lot 'busier' than the Black Sea area, especially if they have to make time to create new landmarks, vehicles, buildings, ships as well as the aircraft flight models at the level advertised.

Naturally, once the basic work is completed and '44 World is up & making some money, we can start whining about tiny maps and demanding the rest of the Channel area with clear consciences.;)

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

• ED Team
Luthier said it post 1023.

Thanks, see it now... hmmm the B-17 wouldnt even break a sweat in that distance :)

it would be nice to consider a larger map with some lesser areas maybe not as detailed... I dont know...

Even the range on fighters is much greater than that.... even adding a little of the British Coast might help... think of all that easy water inbetween ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Received a nasty surprise yesterday (private matters), but reading and watching the Kickstarter helped me through the night.

I felt the Kickstarter video was "from the heart". They don't need fancy pictures to explain their vision.

Thank you Luthier and team for making flight and operations manuals available as hard-copies.

Luftwaffe operations maps of D-day can be found here. Wishing you all a good weekend.

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

A few large scale maps are planned if they reach their funding / sales goal.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

We need a little bit of English coast or where will our allied aircraft takeoff and return home too?:)

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Evening everyone!

Can you clarify the free flyables from the licensed ones, is there going to be free ones (or one like DCS World), it seems a little confusing right now...

FREE for everyone:

P-47

Spitfire

Bf.109K

Paid on release

P-51 (from DCS World)

FW-190D (from DCS World)

If you back at a $20 level, you can pick a P-51 or FW-190D.

If you back at a $40 level, you will have both.

If you already own a DCS World P-51 and/or FW-190, then obviously no one wants you to have to pay for anything twice.

If we reach stretch goals, then the story changes.

Free aircraft list will most likely not change.

Backing at $20 still gets you one of the larger variety of paid aircraft.

$40 or above still gets you ALL of the initial flyables.

None of the aircraft released in future updates are covered by any of this.

I also want to ask Ilya to reconsider making a G serie along with the K. Either a G6/8 or 10 would be great.

I like the G. It's just we currently can only make one variant of the 109, and we picked the K as we have the best data on it.

I don't want to make empty promises or vaguely hint at something, but I really liked having multiple variants of the same plane in my older projects. The overall process is much simpler. Once we have the K, making the various Gs and maybe the F should be comparatively simple.

Don't know, if it has been posted already, but the 100 USD backing reward states: printed manuals for 2 planes, in the description it is only 1 manual.

The sidebar description is the most correct.

Sorry about the confusion. I'm still unable to edit the description, getting the limit reached error. I guess I'll just honor the bigger rewards in every case, and deliver the maximum or the combination of any two tiers with errors in descriptions.

I hope the map can be extended a bit more... we are used to 800+km across map :D .

We can extend the map to the entire globe, but manually adding detail will be extremely hard to do.

We can have all of England done for the map in virtually no time, but it'll be a general coastline filled with vague generic field.

It really makes no sense to spend time making British airfields if you only have AI bombers; a flyable B-17 will obviously need to have a nice-looking airbase to take off from and return to.

The size of the map is a bit of a disappointment (expectations can be a biotch), but It looks like we'll get a territory reaching approximately from Cherbourg to Le Havre and a good bit south--assuming that my Google Earth distance thingie is accurate. Still, even in 1944, Normandy was a lot 'busier' than the Black Sea area, especially if they have to make time to create new landmarks, vehicles, buildings, ships as well as the aircraft flight models at the level advertised.

The way I understand EDGE - and I have to mention that there is a chance that I can be wrong here - is that we can take an existing map and just drag out the outer edges and extend it by any number of kilometers.

Creating generic terrain with a vague coastline and some elevation is not a huge task. Making it look good is. Making it historically accurate, i.e. recreating road networks, landmarks, etc, is a huge huge effort.

We could take our existing Normandy and tack on England and Paris and Ruhr and Berlin. Theoretically. It's just it'll either take many man-years to polish every square mile, or we'll end up with some empty generic filler across vast areas.

And THANK YOU to all the backers once again.

We'll have a new cool video released on Monday morning.

I'll be around until then to answer questions, so keep them coming!

Luthier, One crucial question, which will decide me backing or not. Do you plan to make a collision model for trees. If not then ppl would use trees in mp to excape level chases. To hide. Its killing fun and is highly unrealistic. And if we turn off trees terrain will look ugly.

We need a little bit of English coast or where will our allied aircraft takeoff and return home too?:)

+1

At least a tiny island or small, undetailed part of British coast with an airfield would be good for pre-invasion scenarios.

Otherwise we can only do post D-Day missions and that limits the number of possible scenarios.

First of all, thank you for starting this project. So far all of your explanations seem valid to me and do make sense. I do intend to pledge, but before I will wait until more questions are answered...

Luthier, One crucial question, which will decide me backing or not. Do you plan to make a collision model for trees. If not then ppl would use trees in mp to excape level chases. To hide. Its killing fun and is highly unrealistic. And if we turn off trees terrain will look ugly.

This wouldn't stop me from pledging, but I will say this: the way we have it now in DCS is just for show. The AI can see, fire and move through trees as if they weren't there. This translates to the following: AI sitting in the middle of the forest can fire at you as if it was on an open field and you can not shoot back since it is nearly impossible to spot the bugger.

In addition to what Tvrdi said, and with the obvious focus on ground attack in the DCS WWII - it would be a serious mishap not to have trees as solid obstacles for both AI and players & planes. Especially, and excuse me for comparing, but since RoF has tree collisions it is highly unlikely BoS will not have them.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

For us existing DCS customers who have the P51 and will likely buy the FW-190 once that comes out there's not a powerful incentive for us to pledge other than we really want to see the game made (which we do). I've pledged $112 currently and in effect I'll not be getting anything for that other than some manuals which I really couldn't be bothered with. I think an option to ditch the manuals and get a future plane or two would be more of an incentive. Right now I have to admit that after seeing that 3 of the planes are totally free anyway I'm not feeling like I'm getting a huge amount for my pledge. Yes we might push on to stretch goals but in the event that we don't hit $375k I think a provision for some other kind of reward should be there.

Edited by Foul Ole Ron

For us existing DCS customers who have the P51 and will likely buy the FW-190 once that comes out there's not a powerful incentive for us to pledge other than we really want to see the game made (which we do). I've pledged $112 currently and in effect I'll not be getting anything for that other than some manuals which I really couldn't be bothered with. I think an option to ditch the manuals and get a future plane or two would be more of an incentive. Right now I have to admit that after seeing that 3 of the planes are totally free anyway I'm not feeling like I'm getting a huge amount for my pledge. Yes we might push on to stretch goals but in the event that we don't hit $375k I think a provision for some other kind of reward should be there.

I would agree with this, and I don't even currently own the P51.

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

Can you clarify the free flyables from the licensed ones, is there going to be free ones (or one like DCS World), it seems a little confusing right now...

Yes, I would also like this clarification.

As it stands now, there is some confusion.

One part of the description states that at 100k funding goal we get 5 airplanes (P51D and FW190 included), in another part it states that we get 3 airplanes.

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

In my opinion you back a project because you want to see it happen as presented, not because "what's in it for me" (bigger maps, better planes, "bang for your buck"-type of discussions).

In effect, it's a donation rather than a (pre-)purchase. I like to have a hard-copy of the manuals, so it's a welcome incentive for me.

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille