As many others - this time in noob language

Hemmingsen

Hi guys,

I am new in this forum and new to the game(s). Used to play sims many year ago but got tired of it - missing the real thing I guess.

However it's many years ago now, and wanted to pick up my game again - the new computers and other hardware makes the difference

And what better place to do that than behinde 3 screens full of DCS :D ?

I have read intensivly on these forums for quite some time now and everytime I started somewhere I am ending up in a complete different place - man there is alot of really good info in here.

However I have not been able to find the answer to my problem (I am sure I have read it but just couldnt connect the dots!).

My current setup is 3 screens in Nvidia Surround for a joint 5760x1080p.

After reading in here and failing in the "3 Screen"-setup, I went for the "1 Screen"-setup. Doing so my ingame view is zoomed in so that if it would have been a real plane, my big nose would have been resting on the "No Hand Holds" right in the middel.

That is a great view for reading the RPM and other nearby instruments, however it's terrible for acctually flying the plane. By leaning back (using TrackIR 5) I get to see slightly more, but not nearly the enough to fly the damn thing.

Can someone please hold my hand and guide me through, the lua-files (what is what in there), bezel (sorry for that but seem to misunderstand it constantly), and maybe even give me an answer on what precisely to do in my case (to the fun guy out there: a rob and a tree is not an option :noexpression: )

Welcome!

I'm far from your hardware setup, :-/, but even on a single monitor, DCS World provides me the most realistic flight dynamics I was ever able to get in a flightsim!!! being it my p51d, the ka-50, the UH-1H or the one I have flown the less - the A10C!

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Hi guys,

I am new in this forum and new to the game(s). Used to play sims many year ago but got tired of it - missing the real thing I guess.

However it's many years ago now, and wanted to pick up my game again - the new computers and other hardware makes the difference

And what better place to do that than behinde 3 screens full of DCS :D ?

I have read intensivly on these forums for quite some time now and everytime I started somewhere I am ending up in a complete different place - man there is alot of really good info in here.

However I have not been able to find the answer to my problem (I am sure I have read it but just couldnt connect the dots!).

My current setup is 3 screens in Nvidia Surround for a joint 5760x1080p.

After reading in here and failing in the "3 Screen"-setup, I went for the "1 Screen"-setup. Doing so my ingame view is zoomed in so that if it would have been a real plane, my big nose would have been resting on the "No Hand Holds" right in the middel.

That is a great view for reading the RPM and other nearby instruments, however it's terrible for acctually flying the plane. By leaning back (using TrackIR 5) I get to see slightly more, but not nearly the enough to fly the damn thing.

Can someone please hold my hand and guide me through, the lua-files (what is what in there), bezel (sorry for that but seem to misunderstand it constantly), and maybe even give me an answer on what precisely to do in my case (to the fun guy out there: a rob and a tree is not an option :noexpression: )

I may be reading this wrong so bear with me, but I think you need to change your resolution to whatever your monitor res is if you are going to use a single monitor. Change the res to 1920 (Or whatever your monitor is) rather than 5760... Looks like you are using three screen res and condensing it onto one monitor and that won't work well.. :(

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

1. get a proper editor to edit *.lua files (notepad++).

2. Make a backup of the ...DCS WorldConfigViewServer.lua

3. Now open this server.lua and edit each line containing this string:

"CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,140.000000},"

And change the 140 to something like 160. , so it looks like this:

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,160.000000},

(if you intend to use only the P-51D - jump directly to line #184 and change only this)

What this does: It higher the maximum FOV aka ZOOM for each cockpit - so you higher you Vertical FOV inside your 'narrow' TH setup and you can zoom further out. - up to 160° horizontal.

Please also look This to understand some side-effects of such a wide FOV:

... and maybe you want to use this mod - and be able to control important settings with a single line instead re-doing it for each cockpit, and much ,much more - This MOD has already set the max FOV to 160° by default, so TH-users don't have to edit at all:

Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

EDIT:

Such Wide FOV is not always optimal for a flight sim.. - so you may want to rethink it and maybe arrange your monitors in Portrait:

Edited by PeterP

Thank you very much Peter.

I was playing around with it last night and think I start to understand....!

Got a FOV I can live with, but then a new problem arises (think thats what you referre to with the "Reworked screen"-link), and that is the spacing in between the screens. I have 3 identical monitors and they are physically aligned perfectly.

Still I find the fish-eye-effect to much, and it lead me to think that I want the spacing in between the screens to remain hidden. In other words if there is a object that is "behind" the bezel I want it to stay there and dont be splitted between the screens. That might make my FOV lower again (correct me if I'm wrong), but will align everything much better.

As I stated I tried your rework but didnt see the big difference - for sure its me cocking up!

Can I ask you what setup you are running Peter? I guess in order to get a nice FOV with out the fish eye effect I'll have to look into one huge monitor with high res or a projector?

bezel management --- ...please read your matrox documentation about bezel managment.

My current setup ( The info on it belongs to this post http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1587920#post1587920 ) :

attachment.php?attachmentid=72455&stc=1&d=1351243815

BTW - I see you already subscribed to my Youtube channel (good choice!) - and you saw already GregP's video - so you know how mine works - BTW I instructed Gregp how to set his rig up.

Whatever - I will very soon switch to something like this, but with Three screens in the bottom row - so I have a total of 7 screens (still waiting for the GPU prices to drop a little):

Edited by PeterP

Finally had time to look into it yday evening, and once again Peter - thank you. That was just the links I needed.

Indeed I subscrided to you on youtube - great stuff you got there.

Nice setup, have you ever thought about putting something like that on a small 6DOF platform???

Would be awesome.