Cloud glitch with HDR - any fix ?

Flying DCS_Word + P-51, A-10C and BS2. Everything run smooth, except for this..

With any HDR mode selected, when I set clouds cover above 5, this is what I get when I reach close to the clouds base.

Screen_121113_005903.jpg

Screen_121113_005857.jpg

Screen_121113_005136.jpg

Screen_121113_005133.jpg

Screen_121113_005128.jpg

I have a gef570, and updated with the latest nvidia drivers. Nothing helped. (before I was using 1 year old drivers)

I also tried various nvidia settings. Nothing changed,

TSAA off, MSAA 4X, full screen, and everything set to high-medium.

The only way to fix it, is to fly without HDR but the game isn't that nice after that.

Is there any known fix ? Do you guys on nvidia get the same issue. What drivers are you using ?

Edited by FZG_Immel

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

The problem appears as soon as I approach the clouds base. And disappear as I leave it by diving...

I am running the same drivers as you.

Would you be kind enough to post your nvidia settings ?

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

The Nvidia driver only has the GPU driver and the Physics driver installed. Not 3D Vision, Nvidia Audio and Nvidia update. These are feutures i dont use anyway on my setup.

The settings are on the preconfigured on DCS Black Shark settings that come along with the Nvidia driver under 'manage 3D settings'.

The only tweak made to that pre-configuration is that its manualy set to 'single display performance mode'. Dont forget to 'apply' the modification in the driver configurator.

The Physics settings are set 'auto-select' refering to the GTX460 chip.

The problem can also be caused by other hardware. The GPU works together with the CPU and RAM.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 3200Mhz

RAM: 8Gb Corsair 1800 DDR3 (2x4GB)

Youre mentioning you have a gef570, but is it a GTX and what brand, memory size and clockspeeds? Have you checked with the manufacturer and other references with that particular card. Products are sometimes launched to quickly, but the market demands it for manufacturers to release it to stay in 'the race'. When i google your 570 chip i see alot more problems with shaders. When this is the case, your warranty isnt void, then id start demanding something that works in the same productline and/or price.

The first version of my card had memory problems, but wasnt officialy stated. Funny enough i was still advised to step up to the tweaked version 2 without extra costs after blowing up 2 version 1's.

Im not saying this is the same kind of case, but problems can come from different directions without official egknowledgement to safe face on a difficult market with tough competitors.

The only thing different GFX manufacturers have in common are the Nvidia chip, everything around it is what they design themselves. An Asus GTX570 isnt the same product as the EVGA with the same chip for instance. They only wear the same Rolex watch.

When i use your 'gef570' in google i end up on other messageboards with your name and the same kind of post. There is also said that it has to do with the shadow settings and can even be unrelated to the HDR problems with some ATI cards. It makes me kind of wonder if different problems might be mixing up. The HDR can also be the 'effect' and not the 'cause' of a problem. As said before, it can also be caused by limitations of other hardware and/or biossettings. Im curious if these people are using I7 CPU's. Im seeing alot of I7 in bio's with people having these graphics problems. Its also possible the 570 chip is borked or needs a fix in the driver.

It seems that the newer Nvidia cards have Fermi and Kepler architectures and can power through the data it receives from your RAM. When your Nvidia card is faster than your RAM can deliver the data. The GPU sits there waiting for more data, but doesnt come and leads to framerate drops, visual uglyness and possibly system crashes.

This means you need to severely look into your memory settings and maybe up it to 1600mhz for DDR3 or 800mhz for DDR2 when its running on lower settings. Look into better RAM when your hardware cant reach at least those speeds.

This Nvidia link also include the beta drivers in the search options, maybe theres a fix in those for your 570 chip.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

Is it possible to provide your missionfile here so i can try it here on max settings and see what happens. Maybe i still have have something different in my weathersettings that might cause it.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

Thank you for this very interesting post. I'll post the exact brand/model of my 570. Unfortunately, it is way out of the warranty time anyway.

What bothers me, is that in more than a year. I haven't had any such problems, playing things ranging from Falcon BMS, ROF, il2, BF3, COD etc...

I'll provide you with the mission file and everything. Thanks a lot for your help

Oh, and btw, I have a i7 too..

Edited by FZG_Immel

Ok. This is crazy.

I tried modifying another mission (quick start free flight) from the editor, and apply all the same weather settings.. And guess what ? It works fine. No cloud glitch whatsoever.. So it's really mission related.

Very strange.

I will try creating another mission. With same weather, but on a different place, and see what happens.

The funny thing is developers like BF3 work together with chipmanufacturers to see which code is stable enough on certain chipfeatures and capabilitys. This is a somewhat private relationship in which the public isnt told everything.

BF3 is also not running on maximum visual capabilitys at all, but very moderate to keep the mass hysteria away to ensure a 100 mill + profit. In terms of hardware most people is sold the best junk for the highest prize. What what do you do as a software developer? Do you tell them how poor there 1000$ machine actualy is and what it could be capable of or do you develop something that will actualy run on even the worst high-end-junk-box. We live in a world where the 2nd choice is made so that everyones pockets keeps filling up again and again.

Perhaps something new in coding has been implemented that asks for a chipfeature not functioning 100% on lets say the 570 for instance.

But thats very speculative though. One thing is for sure, one thing has trouble with something else. Its suposed to work, but doesnt and it seems to work somewhere else. :music_whistling:

Edited by BRooDJeRo

Ok. This is crazy.

I tried modifying another mission (quick start free flight) from the editor, and apply all the same weather settings.. And guess what ? It works fine. No cloud glitch whatsoever.. So it's really mission related.

Very strange.

I will try creating another mission. With same weather, but on a different place, and see what happens.

Trolololol.....that got me ranting bullcrap an A4 long!!!

GD missionfilecorruption created in older DCS versions. :lol:

I have the same problem (nVidia GF GTX 460) but in the Black Shark and after update to v. 1.2.2. Yesterday the first time I took off to try, all that happened in training mission. I do not believe it is related to the clouds. Rather, it is because of the shadows or HDR ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

What i wonder myself is to what extend has this anything to do with the hardware itself. Alot of people with known to have similar hardware dont have these bugs. In fact, my FPS hasnt been so low on maximum settings with even older hardware running 45-60 fps in any situation and known FPS hit airports.

I dont know guys, i dont want to point fingers, but how much time has passed since you looked at your bios version and settings or a full reinstallation of Windows which is known to polute itself? Are you sure yur hardware is still running at manufacturing specs and voltages.

The same goes for putting the most awesome GFX cards in a system with slow memory and CPU backing it up. A 'slow' harddrive can even let your problems start.

For instance the fact that my fairly old single GFX card can still run any latest game on full settings without FPS hits is that im using a fast SSD to back it up. A double SATA didnt do the trick for me anymore. The GFX needs shittons of information to process and ill hold my crotch on what could happen when it doesnt get this information in time to render and/or process.

Hardware manufacturers tend to advertise that their hardware is compatible with anything, however the oposite is true. Swap out some fine running hardware with your friends if possible to see what it brings you in performance.

I create missions myself too and something i ran into myself last week was that missions created in older DCS versions can be broken when not properly looked at. Theres new options for vehicles and such so you need to click everything and run through the options again. The same goes for weather. Its possible code has changed which generates something else in missionfiles that doesnt work in a newer DCS anymore and giving you a 50's Disney ride. Also AI has been doing totaly different stuff here and there before and after. The extreme love for fueltrucks to go within buildings was almost a fetish heh. Clicking on them and save the mission again let them behave as intended again. Alot can be the cause it seems.

When you run missions made by others than check with them if they have updated versions. Before you play your own old onces, do a sweepcheck through everything.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

I could reproduce it..

It seems to be linked to the fog setting + HDR

My bios is not up to date. I don't want to change this when everything is working, and everything was working until DCS world.

I have quality ram. And my windows7 isn't polluted and it's a gaming machine only

OK, just discovered this issue.

It is related to HDR (no HDR = no bug), Fog (no fog = no bug), and the altitude of the viewer (camera) (relation to cloud altitude unsure, relation to cloud density demonstrated false).

So far, my definition of the problem is :

Big graphics glitches

- on all objects/surface using transparency/shining materials (glass or shiny metal)

- with a PoV altitude (camera) at or above a given altitude. I've one mission where it is 6000ft, one other where it is ~4000ft (don't know why). Didn't search if their is a higher altitude, but camera PoV<given altitude = no bug and camera PoV>given altitude = bug ; (depends of the position of the "camera", not the object itself)

- with Fog enabled (density > 0 ; if density zero : no bug)

- with HDR on (if HDR Off : no bug)

- on nVidia and ATI graphic cards (i.e. not card/manufacturer related).

See screenshot :

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=9215

Test mission to reproduce attached. Set HDR On before lauching mission, unpause, go to F2 view on the Hip, wait 1-2 minutes (it's climbing). See T-90 too (opticals = glitch, as on the above screen), and Ka-50 (cokpit & sensor glasses).

BRooDJeRo, could you make the test with the attached mission ? It was created from scratch using the current version of DCS World (1.2.2.7286), so no "adaption of old mission" issue here...

I have an nVidia too (GTX 560Ti) with 306.97 driver.

ATI are affected (friend of mine with an AMD RADEON 6870 (driver up to date) just confirmed that to me.

++

Az'

TestGraphicOVC.miz

Edited by Azrayen
adding fog condition + bug affecting nVidia+ATI

spacer.png

Just started up the posted testmiz.

EVGA GTX 460 SE 1Gb - Driver: Nvidia 306.97 X64

Ka-50:

HDR on - Glitch on windowreflection and the glow of the beaconlights

HDR off - No glitching

A10-C:

HDR on: - Glitch on windowreflection and the glow of the beaconlights

HDR off: - No glitching

ha :) Good !

glad I spotted one :) thanks to everybody trying to help me finding the issue ;)