Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Mauser55

Reputation power: 3
Mauser55 is on a distinguished road
Default Weapons loadout questions

Hi, I have two questions.

1. Who decides on the aircraft armament before real mission starts? Is it pilot, ground support staff or somebody else?

2. How often are used guided bombs compared to their unguided variants during the real combat missions? Because on the most videos from the battle zones I see only GBUs. What is the ratio?

THX

Last edited by Mauser55; 07-04-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Mauser55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
joey45
Veteran

Reputation power: 154
joey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud ofjoey45 has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to joey45 Send a message via Skype™ to joey45

1. command staff probably

2. depends on the mission.
Losing too many good friends this year #3.. R.I.P. Goodbye topman, Tru and molly
159th_joey TeamVRC artist My UK liveries for the A10C, Hornet, Huey, Mi-8, F-15C and Tornado,P-51 and my ships mod Huey DHFS REALSED!.
Artist & Animator student in the video games industry.
joey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Eddie
Veteran

Reputation power: 117
Eddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud ofEddie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser55 View Post
Hi, I have two questions.

1. Who decides on the aircraft armament before real mission starts? Is it pilot, ground support staff or somebody else?

2. How often are used guided bombs compared to their unguided variants during the real combat missions? Because on the most videos from the battle zones I see only GBUs. What is the ratio?

THX
1. A mixture of High Level Command/Mission Planners/Sqn Command/Pilots. Depending on the mission/operation and the RoE in place, and quite often a simple case of what weapons are available. In many cases the weapons used won't necessary be the "ideal" weapon. The pilots flying the mission will rarely have much input on the ordnance they carry on most combat sorties.

2. Again it depends on the operation/target and RoE. In current ops PGMs are used due to the proximity of friendly forces and/or civilians, and the fact that we are engaging point targets. Should there be another large scale conflict such as the first gulf war, then there is a good change that "dumb" munitions will see some use, although PGMs will still be used as much as possible. The simple fact is that PGMs are designed for the most part to replace the old dumb munitions, and are more effective against just about every type of target.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Mauser55

Reputation power: 3
Mauser55 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for clarification.
Mauser55 is offline   Reply With Quote