Just been given a Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick. Any good for BS?

JujuMan

Hi All,

Title says it all really. Currently using a mix/mash setup of Saitek X36F (Cyclic) and X45 Throttle.

Worth going to the MS joystick for the Force Feedback? Is it easy to setup? Any known problems etc...

Thanks in advance

JJM

Hello,

There are many good opinions about FFB2 on this forum. It's probably Porsche among FFB sticks. Especialy regarding BlackShark and its trimm mechanism. The problem with all forcefeedback sticks in DCS is that you are not supposed to use any curvature on axis characteristics -> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1029203

I use MSFFB2 for almost half a year and this is my first FFB stick (not mention Saitek Cyborg Evo Force - not ffb at all). It needs some cleaning/tuning now, but flying with it is still really enjoyable. The only reason I could change it for my thrustmaster warthog stick is the lack of buttons/hats on FFB2, but I wont change it in the near future.

Baal

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-950 @ 3.06 (stock), ASUS P6X58D-E, MSI GeForce GTX 970, 12GB RAM @ 1066, DELL 2209WA (1680x1050), LG L1960TR (1280x1024)

TrackIR 5, MSFFB 2, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I have one but I don't use it in favour of the CH fighterstick due to the number of buttons.

Even in prop sims now I'm sticking with CH as I find switching back and forth between different joysticks messes up my aim.

TRIM seems to work ok, occasionally I hit Ctrl ENTER to see where I'm at..

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Its perfect except one thing.... lack of buttons. I have a G940 and let me tell you MSFFB2 has a WAY better feel.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the replies folk's,

At first, the lack of buttons and one less Hatswitch (compared to my X36f) did concern me. However, if I can use the MSFF2 alongside the X36/45 combo it shouldnt be that bad. I can re-map the throttle units array of buttons to other 'important' ones I had on the X36 cyclic.

Just want to experience the feel of Force Feedback with this amazing helo'.

How many controllers does BS support all plugged in together? That way I can still use my Throttle unit from the X45?

JJM

Thanks for the replies folk's,

At first, the lack of buttons and one less Hatswitch (compared to my X36f) did concern me. However, if I can use the MSFF2 alongside the X36/45 combo it shouldnt be that bad. I can re-map the throttle units array of buttons to other 'important' ones I had on the X36 cyclic.

Just want to experience the feel of Force Feedback with this amazing helo'.

How many controllers does BS support all plugged in together? That way I can still use my Throttle unit from the X45?

JJM

I've got 7 controllers plugged in and it recognises them all. I think there is a windows limitation of 8 joysticks but I could be wrong on this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Thanks again for the replies. Great news on the multiple controllers being recognised. The lack of buttons on the MS stick will not really dampen the party. Going to set it up later this evening. Any drivers req. for the MSSFF2, or is it the usual MS plug and play procedure?

Its been ages since i used a FF stick, I had the original rev.1 joystick from MS, way back when.

JJM

*Update*

Installed the MS stick, no problems. Just need to know how to alter the 'Trim Kick' im getting, its creating unwanted input. Can I tone it down somewhere in the lua files or options?

JJM

*Update*

Installed the MS stick, no problems. Just need to know how to alter the 'Trim Kick' im getting, its creating unwanted input. Can I tone it down somewhere in the lua files or options?

JJM

It can be removed entirely, go to the control config page, click on FF Tune and then tick the Swap Axis for the X, and then Y axes.

It can be removed entirely, go to the control config page, click on FF Tune and then tick the Swap Axis for the X, and then Y axes.

Thanks for that. Its works great. Cannot believe the difference a FF stick makes. Got to re-learn how to fly all over again! Lol

• 1 month later...

Hey JujuMan I was just curious, are you still happy with that set up?

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]