DCS Black Shark Tweak Guide Alpha Version

Frazer

I'm working on a tweak guide for DCS Blackshark. I think it would be nice to have a good guide for the community seen that information about this topic is all over the place. For this, I need your support!

I would like to see if anyone can add missing things and test settings.

Note that the tweak guide is not fully ready yet. I'm still about to add city tweaks, as these often give the biggest frame rate issues.

Thanks in advance!

DCS Black Shark Tweak Guide Alpha Version

(Edit: Right click and save if you use Internet Explorer, you need winrar to exctract the word file)

Edited by Frazer
  • Like 5

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i have to say thankyou, because before you posted this i couldnt even fly for 10 minutes with the NVG's but i just managed a 47min flight with them...........i didnt have to change much but using some of your settings helped me :thumbup:

It opens now but comes up us a bunch of symbols, numbers and letters. Very odd.

Try opening in Windows Word or Wordpad.;) *edit- u need WinRar to extract the *.dot file.

I also tried some of the nvidia setting... Got some more fps with better quality too.. :thumbup: Thx Frazer

Edited by 26-J39

I was freaking out because my vid cards weren't heating up, yet I wasn't getting good frame rates. I was able to double my frame rate, decrease my CPU usage, and increase the visual quality after several hours of research. Check my observations here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=813902#post813902

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Very good and useful job. Thanks a lot to you and StrongHarm, as I guess it took you many hours spent to do that and a big work. :thumbup:

What do you think about using nHancer for GC tweaking? I'm using it for BS and Open Falcon and appreciate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was freaking out because my vid cards weren't heating up, yet I wasn't getting good frame rates. I was able to double my frame rate, decrease my CPU usage, and increase the visual quality after several hours of research. Check my observations here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=813902#post813902

You kind of make it appear that by heating up your graphic cards your CPU usage went down.

I want to point out that graphic cards can not really take over CPU jobs. I think with the changed video card settings, you have set your graphic cards to work harder (making graphics look better).

The lowered CPU usage (and increase of FPS) comes from lowering some key options.lua settings.

Thanks for your post :)

Edited by Frazer
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very good and useful job. Thanks a lot to you and StrongHarm, as I guess it took you many hours spent to do that and a big work. :thumbup:

What do you think about using nHancer for GC tweaking? I'm using it for BS and Open Falcon and appreciate.

nHancer is indeed a nice tool to give you explenation about the settings on the spot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nice work Frazer! I'm looking forward for more info. :)

View day's ago I asked you about the name of the file I have to edit for placing a Ka-50 at a carrier.

Maybe someone else knows it?

In this file you simply have to copy&paste a part of the Ah-1 Cobra (able to start from carrier) to the Ka-50. But sadly I forgot the filename.

Thanks!

This one may be helpful too to some people

nVidia_settings_Bucic.jpg

BTW, I hate how old generation games handle clipping. Some even get into additional clipping related problems when clipping parameters are changed. I've seen a FSX video with camera going between rivets' heads without anything cut out.

Great stuff, Frazer!

Note:

["heatBlr"] = 0,

If you have a powerful system, you could put heat blur on as an eye candy. The Ka-50 though, is already a frame killer, imagine taking off with 5 buddies in view with heat blur on. Put heat blur off and forget about it.

I am pretty sure that you can see heat blur only on your Ka-50...

i7 920@4.0Ghz, 12 GB RAM, ATI 4890, LG L246WHX@1920x1200, Saitek X52 Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder pedals, TrackIR4, Audigy 2ZS, Logitech G9x, Vista 64bit.

Great observation goldfinger, thanks!

I have tested it and indeed, when flying online other aircraft have no heatblur. If you fly offline though, all aircraft have heatblur.

I have no clue why this is different from LockOn where every aircraft has heatblur, both online and offline.

Allright then, having heat blur off might not be that much of a FPS tweak when you fly mostly online, though having it on is rather pointless in my opinion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Next thing, the shkval.

I'm trying to reduce the severe frame drop when having the shkval on.

I go from 50fps to 30fps when I engage the shkval and aim it at the horizon, even if I don't look at the shkval screen! I think it should be not that bad as the shkval only looks at a small portion of the horizon, though it probably gets rendered as your whole horizon visibility settings double.

This might not be possible to solve, but who knows. Did anyone find a way to reduce this frame drop / shkval visibility range?

Edited by Frazer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, Shkval turned on has a big FPS impact.

Another thing is Abris:

-if map screen is used, you loose a few FPS.

-if ARC or HSI are used, you get a few FPS.

i7 920@4.0Ghz, 12 GB RAM, ATI 4890, LG L246WHX@1920x1200, Saitek X52 Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder pedals, TrackIR4, Audigy 2ZS, Logitech G9x, Vista 64bit.

Thank you very much Frazer!

I have waited for a proper explanation for the graphics settings

(especially the "scene" settings) for a very long time. Now I can

modify these with a good idea of what I'm looking for in-game.

It must have taken you a very long time to determine what these

settings do and your efforts are much appreciated!

Thanks again. :thumbup:

huge frame drop, read post

1st of all, a HUGE thanx to Frazer for assembling this Guide.

Before i was averaging around 20 to 35 FPS, now i am averaging 50+ and seen

an max of 125 FPS while looking out the cockpit.

Though, i have a problem now and it relates to the Skhval.

When i activate it in camera mode wide view angle and slew it to some area far away (guesstimate 20km+) my FPS drops from lets say 60 to 10-15.

If i reduce the distance im viewing FPS get higher again.

This is also true when i switch the Skhval to narrow view angle, then im back around 35FPS.

Anyone can tell which settings can have an influence on this?

System specs

Vista 64

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ stock 3.4 Ghz

AMD ATI Radeon 4870 512mb @ stock

Kingston HyperX Memory totaling 8GB

all mounted on an ASUS M3A32 MVP Mainboard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

I'm experiencing the same. Could be one of the adjusted settings though I haven't found out what setting exactly. It is normal that frames drop using the Shkval, though I have not seen it in this extend (after my tweaking). Will do some investigation,and post it here when I found the issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]