#05 - 15/7 STATUS UPDATE

Cobra847

Hey folks,

A quick status update for you;

Currently we are working on several important things, which, when finished, will draw this project to a complete close.

Due to changing underlying rendering backend, some additional work had to be done to port the MiG-21 into 1.3.0. Initially we thought we could wrap this up fairly quickly, but this has taken longer than expected. When we finish, I hope to share with you some very nice screenshots of the MiG-21 in its' new environment.

Core integration of the AI MiG-21 package continues and is progressing nicely. Stripping the aircraft of all artwork and code that is not required unless owning the module has been completed, and we're working on ensuring that everything is working flawlessly. Seamless integration to avoid splitting the community is obviously incredibly important, but it must be noted that DCS is an incredibly complex piece of software, and adding another complex piece into the puzzle is not something that can be taken lightly.

A few weeks ago we noted that we will be sending out promo copies of the aircraft; but this has been delayed due to the ongoing 1.3.0 migration. Keeping up with two working copies of our product is a very time-consuming/wasting endeavor. Thus, when we're satisfied with the module and it's functionality in 1.3.0, we will then take a look at providing previewers with a legacy version that is representative of the newest build.

In the beginning of July, we decided to upgrade our Damage modelling to a completely new standard. We've been busy ripping the aircraft apart with a new mesh-based damage system, in conjunction with hand sculpted normals. Additionally, we have modeled most of the interior components of the aircraft, and can expose them at will. I think you'll all find it looks very satisfying, and we can't wait to show you.

As soon as we finish 1.3.0 integration and some other tasks, we'll be providing you with the aforementioned screenshots and also the planned KH-66 + RSBN + SAU video, which will continue the in-depth looks video series.

That one will be narrated as per your requests.

Some of you have noted that it'd be beneficial to gather developer posts in a single thread, and we agree.

Once the opportunity arises, we will work on compiling a FAQ/Developer info thread for quick reference on various topics.

Thanks!

LS

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Polished Metal MIG-21 in EDGE = Call out of work for a week.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks Cobra! :thumbup:

But a question: "upgrade our Damage modelling to a completely new standard. We've been busy ripping the aircraft apart with a new mesh-based damage system, in conjunction with hand sculpted normals."

What does that exactly mean? As a layman, this almost reads as if you were calculating the damage effects dynamically? I.e. similar to something like this?

BMW-and-Audi-Are-Using-Linux-2.png

Great report guys!! With this and the Mi-24 I will be busy for a looong time.

While you showed the panel for SPS-141 can we get more info? Centerline only? How many flares, chaff?

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Good stuff, thank you Cobra!

I have question though. Can you comment on how much (if) will be flyable external model different from the AI one? Model, texture, animation and effect-wise. Thanks.

It will be identical depending on when it gets released. (It might be released earlier than the full module), and the new damage is not finished yet, so it'd have old damage for now.

But when both are released, both versions will be identical, apart from the Afterburner.

Currently there is no way to replace the AI afterburner for specific aircraft, thus the new afterburner effects will only work for Human MiG-21s.

Thanks Cobra! :thumbup:

But a question: "upgrade our Damage modelling to a completely new standard. We've been busy ripping the aircraft apart with a new mesh-based damage system, in conjunction with hand sculpted normals."

What does that exactly mean? As a layman, this almost reads as if you were calculating the damage effects dynamically? I.e. similar to something like this?

BMW-and-Audi-Are-Using-Linux-2.png

No, damage is still location based, but it's not dynamic. It's pre-modeled and will appear the same in every case of sustaining equal amounts of damage.

It simply means we're spending extra GPU resources and manpower on creating a polygon based damage model with bent, twisted metal and hand-sculpted (and baked) normal mapping to go with it.

It provides additional visual fidelity.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

No, damage is still location based, but it's not dynamic. It's pre-modeled and will appear the same in every case of sustaining equal amounts of damage.

It simply means we're spending extra GPU resources and manpower on creating a polygon based damage model with bent, twisted metal and hand-sculpted (and baked) normal mapping to go with it.

It provides additional visual fidelity.

Allright ... so did I get it right ... instead of i.e. only replacing textures and/or removing parts and "replacing" them with some damaged looking textures (i.e. a panel is missing, revealing the inside of the aircraft and the torn off remains of the panel are just a texture) you implement actual additional models in a damaged state of various parts of the aircraft? (i.e. bent and torn panel that reveals only a bit of the inside)?

Ta very much :)

"In victory you deserve champagne, in defeat you need it"

- Winston Churchill

3700X | X570 Aorus Elite | GTX 1070 | 32GB 3200 (3600)mhz Corsair | XFX 850W PSU | Lian Li Lan Cool 2 | Tir5 + TCP, VIVE Cosmos Elite | TMWH #08677 | Saitek Combat Pedals

Allright ... so did I get it right ... instead of i.e. only replacing textures and/or removing parts and "replacing" them with some damaged looking textures (i.e. a panel is missing, revealing the inside of the aircraft and the torn off remains of the panel are just a texture) you implement actual additional models in a damaged state of various parts of the aircraft? (i.e. bent and torn panel that reveals only a bit of the inside)?

Yes, correct -- bent/torn/crushed/extremely bent/missing. The texture is of course changing as well, in order to give definition and fidelity to the broken/damaged parts, and particularly the sculpted normalmaps provide a lot of extra fidelity. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Very informative update, initially I wasn't a Mig 21Bis fan but not I'm really considering purchasing a copy as I read your updates and follow your progress. Continue to keep us inform and the great work being done my you and the rest of your team.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Looks great, LN! Thanks for the update.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440