TAD instruction tutorial

Fish

Comprehensive description of the TAD in DCS A10. Includes Moving and Fixed modes, Object and symbol display/hide, Screen and map scaling, Sharing SPI, FPLAN and MARK modes, 'Using the hook to find and mark a bullseye call, Network config, Managing FAC pushed target points. Hooking modes, including ownship, and BULLS to Cursor, and beneift for marking, and coordinates, and hooking air objects.

• Like 18

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Nicely done Fish!:thumbup:

MOBO ASUS P5QL-Pro, Intel Q9550 2.8Ghz @ 3.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Crucial, XFX HD6950, TM Warthog, TIR4 /w Pro-Clip, 24 In Samsung Syncmaster LED, 2 X Cheapo 8in LCD's for MFD's and TM MFCD's attached to it, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

where was this tutorial last year when I was bumbling through the TAD :)

great tutorial.. especially liked the hook mode for finding and marking bullseye calls.

Any thoughts on some of the symbols like little white triangle with a Z? I see this quite often but no idea what it is.

Is it possible to delete previous JTAC data points from the tad once you have completed the task?

cheers

Any thoughts on some of the symbols like little white triangle with a Z? I see this quite often but no idea what it is.

Is it possible to delete previous JTAC data points from the tad once you have completed the task?

cheers

Spikenet:

The triangle with the Z is your Z markpoint - aka, the last place you fired/dropped a weapon.

You can delete prev JTAC points by clicking on the OSB with "CNC" next to it on the right side of your TAD screen.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Invisibull, ah ok the Z markpoint makes sense.. thanks.

I've noticed with some JTAC datapoints once I do a WILCO the CNC disapears.. not sure why, but it can get very cluttered with multiple points, especially in the campagnes.

cheers

Thoughts:

1) Didn't cover how to use the TAD to build a flightplan. This ties into CDU usage as well, but it's still something I casually do with the TAD on occasion - finding places using EXP, setting markpoints, turning them into WPs (didn't cover the 'create WP' button on TAD, the '•7?' below the hook options).

2) Didn't totally cover all the HOTAS, just left out the last few minor things (returning to yourself, and the... offset view).

3) Biggest criticism: When you did the JTAC call you wouldn't trim the aircraft or even set the autopilot, you constantly kept bobbing your view up and down because you were flying completely, 100% out of control. You'd say two words and then jump to the HUD and overcorrect as you careened in another direction, look back at the TAD, say two more words, jump back to the HUD because you were now plummeting straight down, you'd pitch around wildly again, look back to the TAD for a moment and then back to the HUD trying to fix your flying... all the while still talking about the TAD, while I was still incredibly distracted by what was going on. I wanted to skip through it because it was making me sick.

4) If you make another TAD video to finish covering the above, I suggest:

- Go over why the hook modes are useful. One of the best features of OWN-HOOK is to hook it to the JTAC call and use the bearing measurements to ensure you're within the JTAC's desired attack windows. If he makes a call like "Attack heading 080-100", you hook to whatever markpoint / waypoint you've got for the JTAC's attack point, set it to OWN-HOOK and latch it, and now you use the bearing measurement on the TAD to make sure you roll in at the proper place.

- Using the JTRS diamond and the WILCO for the JTAC attack point, rather than using a Markpoint (hitting WILCO vs. CNTCO). Sort of minor, but hey, it's there for a reason. Also, telling the JTAC you aren't going to comply with his attack order is probably going to make him sad.

- Flightplan management.

- Cover all the symbology (markpoint-Z, diamonds, differentiating weddingcakes (though you promised a MP version of this one so that should be covered there)).

- TRIM THE AIRCRAFT.

Apologies if I sound like I'm being really harsh about that JTAC bit, I know re-recording 40 minutes because of a dumb goof is pretty unreasonable, but that really did ruin the experience for me.

So, except for the nauseating experience with the JTAC bit, that was great. I didn't even know that about the EXP modes being different resolutions. Should be pretty easy for most people to follow.

EDIT: I just found one of your first videos that covers flightplan management with the TAD. I still think it should be covered in a TAD video just for the sake of completeness, so that just about every tiny aspect of the TAD could be explored.

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow ..... frostiken , maybe you should show us how its done properly dude , instead of harping on about whats missing !!!

Everyone else seemed more than stisfied ..... maybe Fish has better things to do than spend his time explaining stuff to the mass's . And shouting too , where's your manners ?

Thanks fish , I find your work more than helpful :)

Edited by badger66
  • Like 2

Wow ..... frostiken , maybe you should show us how its done properly dude , instead of harping on about whats missing !!!

Everyone else seemed more than stisfied ..... maybe Fish has better things to do than spend his time explaining stuff to the mass's . And shouting too , where's your manners ?

See, my "thing" is I don't jerk people around, and I'm not going to start with you... so here's how it is: I'm not going to make a video because I don't want to and I don't have time. Fish enjoys making these videos and I appreciate them as do others. Don't even try to pretend I'm disrespecting his work or that I don't appreciate it.

First of all, given that the point of his videos is to educate the masses, your comment about him having better things to do than explain things to the masses is pretty ridiculous. Not sure what your point there was.

Secondly, everyone can tell him how great the video is, but unless someone's willing to be CRITICAL about it, he's not going to know what to cover later or how to make the videos better. "The cruelest thing you can do to an artist is tell them their work is perfect when it isn't." There's way too much about this world that sucks specifically because nobody bothers to be critical, and an artist is always the worst judge of their own work. Would another post telling him how great he is really done anything?

I gave him constructive feedback regarding the next video he said he was working on for the TAD. And I specifically wanted to let him know that the JTAC bit with the screen darting all over the place with the plane flying around like there was a drunk* at the controls was awful.

Mercifully it was the end of the video and it was only a minor section which mitigated a lot of the damage, but it was *not* a minor mistake that was being made... If he had done that during the whole video it would've been totally unwatchable. I could live with the aircraft kicking out of AP, I cannot live with the TrackIR spiraling around the cockpit.

The only point he needs to take away from it is that the 'students' are focusing on the TAD and listening to his words. Every time the aircraft kicks out of AP or starts a dangerous departure from controlled flight, you've caused a distraction that breaks attention and focus. Ensuring the aircraft is trimmed right and minimizing distractions just makes for a much smoother, easier to watch video. I am not an idiot, I don't expect something for nothing, and I don't feel entitled to his tutorials, so as such I absolutely DO NOT expect a 40 minute uncut video to go without a single mistake, nor do I expect him to reshoot and recomment on the whole thing just to fix a minor issue with Auto / Manual map modes. The out-of-control bit was in a minor enough section all the way at the end that I wouldn't expect him to reshoot it just for that either. But I do certainly hope it doesn't happen again.

So don't provoke me. I respect Fish and I love his videos and I especially love that he's made literally hours worth of video to help people along. He's helped me out personally himself. But don't ever insinuate that I'm ungrateful. If I didn't respect him and thought so poorly of his work, would I have bothered to listen to Irish Cream being poured into my ears for 40 minutes, talking about a thing I already mostly know how to use, and then offered suggestions for improving the next one? Do you think I'm asking for him to go into Hook modes more in-depth because I need help with them, or because I think others need help with it? Notice how I provided an example of how other Hook modes can be useful, and you should have your answer. I'm not doing this for me.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

* He is Irish...

PS: Regarding 'where are my manners': I'm not a groveling simpleton. I'm not going to insult Fish's, your own, or anyone else's intelligence by trying to disguise every single negative thing I have to say in ten layers of honey, like I'm a mud-covered peasant kowtowing before the local lord, trying to suggest that taxes are too high without being thrown in jail and tortured for it...

Edited by Frostiken
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

See, my "thing" is I don't jerk people around, and I'm not going to start with you... so here's how it is: I'm not going to make a video because I don't want to and I don't have time.

tut......another armchair critic that has actually contributed sweet FA, but deems it appropriate that his opinion counts.

Don't bother replying, i won't be re-visiting.

Fish............good work mate, don't worry about unfounded criticism. It's everywhere.

'T'

• Like 1

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Hmm, time out guys.

Thank you for you comments, and support, and i believe all posters are positively motivated.

Frostiken

Yes, i know there's a few things left out, and not covered adequately. Did notice the 'out of control' bit, but decided it was not worth another take'. Agree I should have gone back to AP (though i rarely use it in normal flying). The challenge is 'controlling', 'taking actions', and explaining at the same time. Might have to drop one and use AP. However, I don't see it as the show stopper you described it, and there are more fundamental 'missing's in video, which i would address first.

The SPI stuff could have been explained more clearly, as it is the most fundamental aspect of the TAD.

I was not aware of the Flight plan option from the TAD, thanks, I will take a look at that.

On the issue of the hooks, I think it was covered adequately, and provides enough fundamentals for a pilot to help them in developing ingress/egress/JTAC tactics. The key message to take was the use of the EXP modes with the hooking functions. Once a pilot starts to do that, then the ingress/egress and target stuff will fall into place. The videos to date have not really focused on tactics.

Also biggest learning for me with this one is to break the vid into manageable chunks, and not to try to do it in a single take. That way each 'block' can be adjusted without a full retake.

And once again Thanks for your feedback,

Its the reason i continue to make these videos.

Fish

Edited by Fish

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

tut......another armchair critic that has actually contributed sweet FA, but deems it appropriate that his opinion counts.

:lol:

I hope you immediately followed this post by writing angry letters to Jeremy Clarkson telling him about what a horrible piece of crap he is and that because he's never professionally designed a car completely from scratch, he shouldn't be allowed to criticize any vehicles. Make sure you also tell Roger Ebert he has to have directed and produced a movie before he's allowed to resume his job as film critic. Oh and I'm sure every reviewer at PCGamer has professionally produced game titles. Make sure you tell them you won't read their responses because you're too cowardly to stand behind your own words.

PS: Can I also get your name so I can make sure to keep an eye out for it on the 2012 Presidential election ballot? I'm certain you wouldn't be hypocritical enough to criticize a politician if you've never even attempted to run for the job yourself, much less done it. Has your internet cut out or run slow lately? Make sure you tell your ISP about the network spanning thousands of miles that you designed yourself so they know that your opinion matters!

If you couldn't tell, I'm totally calling your bluff on the 'won't be back'. I expect you won't respond, but either way I chalk this one up as a win.

However, I don't see it as the show stopper you described it
I only wanted to mention that it was a distraction... think of it in terms of a movie shoot, as being similar to a poor translation of a greenscreen that causes visual artifacts. It's a major mistake, but major mistakes in small doses aren't a big deal. This was a very small dose and it was at the end of the video, so like I said, I don't think it's worth a reshoot either. If the whole video was a sickening roller-coaster ride through pukesville, that'd be a different matter :) I don't think it's worth getting too tied down in this. I did think it was sort of funny with the whole out-of-control thing while you were calmly talking like nothing was wrong... would've been a bummer to have smashed into the ocean in the last 4 minutes of the vid :D
Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:thumbup:Nice Job, Fish:thumbup: Thx.:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Thank you so much for this! Learned lots. I will be going back to this video time and again until its stuck in my brain.

If you do make another video, you could try using Right-Control + num 0, then hit num 4. its a straight on shot of the left MFCD, a bit easier to read.

Edited by 159th_Viper
Rule 1.2