StarForce AAA Technology on Warthog

StarForce

Dear community,

I'm glad to announce that "DCS: A-10C Warthog" game is the very first one that use StarForcer AAA Technology.

What AAA is?

AAA - Automatically Add Activations

Shortly, it offer licensed user unlimited number of activations. But you may understand that actually unlimited activation = no control over sales = huge piracy rate. That's why we decided to add one activation back in time period = X secs/mins/hours/days............., after the last activation is burnt (time period is decided by publisher). It's mean that right after you use you last activation StarForce Server starts to count the time period, and give activation back once this period is over.

Hope this option will be usefull for you.

Have a nice flight!

NB. Ready to answer questions.

• Like 1

Could you elaborate: "add one activation back in time period x"?

Sure.

For example publisher decided to set time preiod = 2 weeks.

That means that after you burn last activation StarForce server starts to count 2 weeks and then added one actrivation for your serial number. So, in a 2 weeks you may activate the game one more time. After you activate it, server starts to count time period again. And this process goes permanently.

• Like 1

I trust there will not be any SF drivers installed. Or any other sort of Ring Zero interaction.

Because some piracy is the direct result of instrusive or flawed or broken DRM. People may buy the game but play a cracked one.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

it's a step in the right direction, but I can see problems with it.

Example, say someone used their last activation and the game publisher had set a 1 month or more time limit before you got the activation back.

Well, say an hour or so after you used your last activation your hard drive died, you replace it within 2 days at max, or even within 10 minutes if you have more than 1 hdd in your pc, once thats done you are forced to wait for the 30 days to run out before you can play again.

As I said, its a step in the right direction, because judging by some posts on the forums, some people have waited weeks for ED to hook them up with new keys, so this can only be a good thing, but for problems like I mentioned, I would be 1 mighty pissed off consumer if that were to happen to me.

• Like 1

Yeah - can see where you're coming from bumfire. Would it not be possible for the process to kick-in at the second-last activation? Would prevent 'minor user-induced catastrophes'. I seem to recall vaporizing a couple of my BS activations for no other reason than..........I'll stop there.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

There's an easy solution to that: You get let's say 3 activations. You use one, the timer starts. If something happens you could that use one of the remaining 2 (like a back-up), and then when the timer runs out you have 3 again. Sounds easy and logical to me. Why don't you make it like this?

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Example in my case SF ate activation when I plugged web camera. Another time when I plugged joystick. To prevent X day waiting for activations I think it'd be better if counter started since first activation use.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I am a little puzzed by this.

Why can we not have the s/n linked to our email address and order info and have online activation.

It is like this, But SF wants exactly one activation per user, and to check this they use the configuration of your pc. This activation is then unique. The trouble starts when for eg. you loose the activation due to minor changes to the system, like Boberro.

Edit: Good thing that you reminded me of this, I installed A-10, of course without track ir and joystick plugged in, but had thank god no problems.

Edited by asparagin
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I trust there will not be any SF drivers installed. Or any other sort of Ring Zero interaction.

Because some piracy is the direct result of instrusive or flawed or broken DRM. People may buy the game but play a cracked one.

No more drivers in StarForce DRM. As you see we try to avoid disc based protection as the only possible way to perfom protection agains emulators - use own driver. No disc = no emulator threat.

i have 6 games still wrapped in plastic standing in my nerd shelf :P

• 3 weeks later...
Will this new technology be applied to DCS: Black Shark too?

I belive yes, during the expected BS patch for A10C combatibility.

By the way, will this also apply for reactivations ?

Edited by sungsam

DCS F16C 52+ w JHMCS ! DCS AH64D Longbow !

Even how tempting it is - this is not a pirate vs antipiracy thread.

- Feel free to ask question about the new protection system.

- Comments on DRM / piracy in general will be deleted.

This is due to the fact that those kind of posts escalates out of hand to quickly.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Can I still use my limited # of activations to have DCS both on my gaming PC and my gaming laptop (on the go), like it was with previous versions of downloaded software from ED and StarForce online activations?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Dear community,

I'm glad to announce that "DCS: A-10C Warthog" game is the very first one that use StarForcer AAA Technology.

What AAA is?

AAA - Automatically Add Activations

Shortly, it offer licensed user unlimited number of activations. But you may understand that actually unlimited activation = no control over sales = huge piracy rate. That's why we decided to add one activation back in time period = X secs/mins/hours/days............., after the last activation is burnt (time period is decided by publisher). It's mean that right after you use you last activation StarForce Server starts to count the time period, and give activation back once this period is over.

Hope this option will be usefull for you.

Have a nice flight!

NB. Ready to answer questions.

I like that! :)

Is the new feature you explained automatically applied to my installation? or should I install DCS again?

I would suspect that this would cause issues as far as connectivity goes - the only way to secure that (as far as I can see) would be to require that you be online at all times which tends to be a touchy subject.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

not everyone has a net, and it would be frustrating if they had to log every "two weeks" just to play the game (Imagine they are in some village far from any towns!)

If that's the case then the user would not have been able to activate it in the first place. And DCS: Black Shark and Flaming Cliffs require online activation as well. And you only have to reactivate if you formatted the hard drive or the configuration drastically changed. Hopefully ED and Starforce will allow us to backup the activation key so as not to reactivate in case of a reformat.

The only time this could be a problem is if the hardware is generating false activations and i'm sure Starforce is looking at ways around that. Like I said barring NO DRM there is no single way to please everyone.

I just feel this is the fairest way to do things. And this idea is not new by the way. Microsoft employs similar DRM for their Xbox Live games you download and buy. If you want to transfer all of your games onto another Xbox 360 console you can only do that one time per every 12 months. So IMO both ED and Starforce have taken the fairest approach to online activation. I have no problems with that. :thumbup: