X52 Spring Plate a Little Sticky

My X52 joystick has too much friction where the spring tension plate, that keeps it centered, contacts the base. This leads to a sticky, jumpy feeling when trying to move the stick very slowly and smoothly.

Is there a quick lubrication or other fix for this? I already tried silicone spray. It didn't seem to help much.

Thanks,

Ultra

First clean any lubrication then use Candle wax. Be careful of different lubrication. Some of them will eat plastic.

Follow these steps

Put candle in a pot. Warm it until it is melted like water. Now use any syringe. Fill syringe and put it on the shaft above and below of the plate. Do this process quickly so the candle wax don't freeze in syringe and don't remove any candle wax from ur joystick let it fill fully with candle wax. It will not damage ur stick. This is what i suggest as i am using this technique for my own x-52 pro.

I hope this will help

Edited by sniperwolfpk5

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Fill syringe and put it on the shaft above and below of the plate.

I hope this will help

I have suffered from the same problem for years with this stick. One suggestion I always saw but I never managed to get any, was white grease, like the type you find on the plastic gears of a DVD ROM drive or a toy RC car etc.

Wax is an interesting idea, I had not thought of that before. But, you say to apply the wax to the actual shaft? This seems strange to me as it is the plastic plate that is grinding on the plastic base that causes the sticking. I dont understand how putting it on the shaft would work, would it not be better to put it on the actual plate?

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

sniperwolfpk5 - I'm not sure that I want to try candle wax just yet as it sounds a little messy, but you did make the light bulb go off in my head. I had thought the friction was coming from the plate rubbing on the base. :doh: It's actually coming from the sides of the plate rubbing on the shaft.

I think I'm going to try to get some grease like you said BTTW-DratsaB. That seems to be what the manufacturer originally used and it has since mostly rubbed off causing the increased friction.

Thanks guys

I have suffered from the same problem for years with this stick. One suggestion I always saw but I never managed to get any, was white grease, like the type you find on the plastic gears of a DVD ROM drive or a toy RC car etc.

Wax is an interesting idea, I had not thought of that before. But, you say to apply the wax to the actual shaft? This seems strange to me as it is the plastic plate that is grinding on the plastic base that causes the sticking. I dont understand how putting it on the shaft would work, would it not be better to put it on the actual plate?

Well if you find that white grease this is the best thing for smoothness. I didn't find it in my city. Well before candle wax i open up my throttle and took some of the white grease from there and put it to my stick shaft it works perfectly but with the time passage you need more grease which is not available here. Any how candle wax is working perfectly for me with butter smooth movement but you have to put it and don't clean wax let be there and you have to melt it other-wise it will not work as good as it should. Don't extremely warm it other-wise it will melt your syringe.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

I suggested to warm it because when you spare wax on the shaft it will go through the plate. I spare it from both sides of the plate

DIY Rudder Pedals,

I use Tamiya ceramic grease. Same stuff the RC guys use on their controls, safe for plastics. You can get a small tube at a hobby store that carries RC aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Silicone grease is what I use. It's safe on both plastics and electronics (used for sealing out water typically). You can get it at any hardware store in either the electrical or plumbing section. It costs next to nothing. Silicone spray does not work (I tried it), you need actual grease.

I found that on saitek sticks, no matter how much it feels like it, the base of the cone is NOT the problem.

The problem is where the cone rides on the shaft. Their is a hard edge on the inside of the cone, and it big day against the shaft. Take the stick apart, (you can't remove the cone because the wiring harness for through it) and chamfer the top inner surface. This allows the cone to ride more smoothly againts the shaft.

(Gosh that sounded dirty)

Luv the -gulp- shaft with any old grease, and she'll be almost as smooth as a stick that wasn't properly designed in the first place. I can post pictures later, I'm on my pho e right now.

Wrench.

As you rightly say, it's the collar on the shaft that is the problem, ( put your thumb under the collar and push upwards to see), it's being pushed sideways and becomes a brake.

Silicon grease works for a while but the collar wears and it gradually gets worse, added to this the lower rim wears flat and forms a greater friction surface.

I replaced the spring with rubber bands for a while. This worked well on P-51 and F-86, but not on F-15 which requires the centering effect of a collar.

I have now reduced the tension on the spring with cable ties and this works to a certain extent, but there's no real cure for a pisspoor centering design on an otherwise very good stick.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Update:

I tried a kind of White Synthetic Grease. It did not work very well :(.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm going to slowly work my way through them until I find one that works well. :thumbup:

@Wrench - Indeed, that's what I figured out in post #4. Interesting suggestion.

Holbeach, you got that right. But it you make a chamfer on the top of the inner surface of the centering cone, it will stop the binding. I did that, used wheel bearing grease, and the zip tie mod, and now's my X45 (I know, its an antique) is almost as smooth as my Logitech extreme pro. (One of the smoothest spring centered sticks I've ever seen)

Holbeach, you got that right. But it you make a chamfer on the top of the inner surface of the centering cone, it will stop the binding. I did that, used wheel bearing grease, and the zip tie mod, and now's my X45 (I know, its an antique) is almost as smooth as my Logitech extreme pro. (One of the smoothest spring centered sticks I've ever seen)

If I get brave enough to take it apart, I'll give your suggestion a try. :joystick:

Meanwhile I'm using silicon round my shaft and rim, although it gets a bit gritty after a while when it mixes with dust. :P

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..