How to Install LockOn

Just put this together at the VTB forums with the help of S77th-KonKuSSioN's tips (Thanks bud!). Also, be sure to check the VTB Mother of all Stickies thread for a great deal of resources for flight simming!

Cheers!

-LD

1. Install your original Lock On via your CD. Depending on what LOMAC you buy this will install a version UP TO 1.02. Whether you have version 1.00, 1.01 or 1.02, doesn't matter and depends on when the disc was manufactured. This is fine - let's move on.
  2. Immediately apply the Flaming Cliffs add-on (version 1.1) before doing anything else.
    Installing the Flaming Cliffs add-on means you do NOT need to install any patch(s) numbered 1.01 or 1.02. Flaming Cliffs supercedes both these patches and will upgrade your copy to 1.1.
  3. Now patch LOFC (Lock On: Flaming Cliffs) directly to the very latest version. (At time of writing that is 1.12b).
    You DO NOT need install each interim patch for Flaming Cliffs - 1.11, 1.12a... Just go straight to patch 1.12b!
    ***There are a two types of 1.12b patch versions. One type is for those who downloaded FC, and the other type is for those who bought the FC add-on on a separate CD. (Disc from GoGamer, Naturalpoint, or included in Lock On: GOLD). BE SURE you are installing the correct version for your game. The two different patches are called CD and Web version. Double check that you are downloading the correct version of the patch for your copy of FC before installing it! Installing the wrong type will render your copy of the sim unusable.
    Visit www.lockon.ru for the latest fixes & patches.
  4. Once you have installed all the above, you can add mods by using ModMan.

Version history

• 1.0: LOMAC (Lock On: Modern Air Combat): The original game developed by Eagle Dynamics and published by Ubisoft.
  • 1.01: LOMAC free patch.
  • 1.02: LOMAC free patch (this is where Ubisoft leaves the picture as publisher).
  • 1.1: LOFC (Lock On: Flaming Cliffs): payware add-on & patch independently released by Eagle Dynamics (the developers of all LOMAC versions & patches). Features a HUGE number of fixes for existing users of the sim and a new flyable aircraft - the SU-25T Frogfoot with an advanced flight model (AFM). Can be purchased by download, or CD, or in an Ubisoft-sponsored project called "Lock On GOLD". NOTE: The initial copies of Lock On Gold had significant errors on one of the discs in the box and replacements were needed. Since Windows Vista was released this add-on & patch is called 1.1b.
  • 1.11: LOFC free patch. This is where ED introduces two versions of the same patch; one for the Web version and one for CD owners of FC. Select your type.
  • 1.12a: LOFC free patch. Released prior to Windows Vista and therefore only has Windows XP support.
  • 1.12b: LOFC free patch. Adds Windows Vista (and XP) support. Same patch as the "a" version, but works on either OS.
  • 1.13: To be announced. . . ?

Q: Where can I buy "Lock On: Modern Air Combat"?

A: Since its release late 2003, it has become more and more difficult to find a copy of the sim in stores. Mainly due to Ubisoft leaving the picture as publisher and discontinuing production/support for their product after version 1.02. Your best bet is searching Amazon, or eBay, (click links to perform a search) or look for a copy of Ultimate Flight Collection @ GoGamer.com (includes LOMAC, IL2 and Pacific Fighters). You can also buy LOMAC from Eagle Dynamics E-shop.

Q: How do I buy "Flaming Cliffs"?

A: You can download a copy directly from Eagle Dynamics and pay for an activation code online. This is known as the Web version of FC and uses StarForce activation. The second option is buying a "Flaming Cliffs" CD from GoGamer.com or search eBay, Amazon, Buy.com etc. You can also buy FC on disc from Eagle Dynamics E-shop. The CD version of FC uses StarForce disc check copy protection instead of an activation code.

Q: Is there a bundle with both LOMAC and FC?

A: Yes, the final (and possibly best) solution is to find a Lock On: GOLD copy containing both the LOMAC CD and the Flaming Cliffs CD. Unfortunately, there aren't as many copies around anymore.

Edited by LawnDart
  • Like 1

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Nice summary LawnDart!

Can I just point out however that NaturalPoint website shows FC as "This game is no longer available directly from NaturalPoint" and GoGamer shows it as "out of stock" as of 2008/06/30.

If you are in Europe or even if you are not, then check out these other possible sources of FC on CD....

http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop&lang=en&cat_sid=2

http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_product_details&pid=1338

As for patches, there is also,

http://www.virtual-jabog32.de/index.php?section=downloads&lang=en

which has a full set including the v1.12 patch for the verison of Lockon GOLD released in UK, Germany, France. They even have the Russian language version patches. Very thorough those JaBog32 boys :)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Good follow-up BRD!

IDK if you're signed up on our forums, but if you don't mind maybe just copying what you just said here to this thread: http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2472

I kind of figured NaturalPoint wasn't selling FC anymore, but wasn't sure. Also, your links will help people from other parts of the world get FC and the correct patches. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Nice! You can't repeat this (simple to us) stuff often enough. At this stage-The numerous versions and the lack of availability render LOMAC a real mess for a new guy to figure out.

Haha I guess I could- at this point- go back into my own summaries and lighten up some of my more colorful characterizations of Ubi...

Edited by S77th-konkussion

• 1 year later...

Just updated the original post with new links "Where to Buy". Hope this helps!

i have downloaded lock on modern aircombat but i have a problem...

when i pres fly it loads and then after it loads the screen goes black but the sounds still come:huh:. can u guys plz tell me what can be wrong or what i can do to fix this... :)

^^^ Need more info than this.

Vista? be sure you are running lomac "as admin"

If you are running Vista 32 bit- you MUST run EVERYTHING "as administrator" PERIOD. No exceptions.

Lock on

Stick profiling software like Saitek SST, Foxy, & CH manager

Track IR profiling software

Hyperlobby

Teamspeak

Ventrilo

Right click the desktop icon

select properties

check the run as admin box

It's also not a bad idea to choose "xp service pack 2" for the compatibility mode.

this also applies to:

Runtime Error! Program C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On.exe ------ This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it an unusual way. Please contact the applicator's support team for more information

If this isn't the solution- you'll need to list detailed computer specs. Also explain what "I downloaded Lockon" means. Did you download the full game, or just one of the patches?

Edited by S77th-konkussion

What? Let me Google that for you! :music_whistling::smilewink:

(You can download DirectX from Microsoft's website. You can download the latest set of video drivers from the manufacturer's website (Nvidia, ATI etc.). Install those and try again!)

• Like 1

"Lock On GOLD". NOTE: The initial copies of Lock On Gold had significant errors on one of the discs in the box and replacements were needed.

Is there anyway you can tell from the box if it is the good one or the bad one?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download