How do I mount my HOTAS Warthog to my chair?

I was not sure where to post this, but since it is related to my HOTAS Warthog, I thought I'd best post it here.

I want to attach my HOTAS Warthog, throttle and stick, to my IKEA chair. I just have no idea how to do this. I was also thinking of getting a extension for the stick, but that won't work out for me, money wise.

Like most movable stick, I want to put my stick between my knees. But unfortunately, I would have no idea how to do that. My throttle I would just want to mount on the left. I think it would be best to somehow attach a kind of table on the left side of my chair where my armrest would usually be, which I took off. But for the stick I would have no idea what to do with it.

So my question is, does anyone here have any suggestions on how I should mount it? Once again, I am very tight on money. I have included pictures of my chair below. Thank you!

IMG_20130613_183604.thumb.jpg.6828705361090113bb6708df9eaf0beb.jpg

IMG_20130613_183616.thumb.jpg.2deeb90483fa62e0f8df92d20b780a57.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A small shelf with two pins to fit (tight) into those two holes that originally anchored the armrest and you're fine. Very easy and cheap.

You only need a solid wood floor and two long metallic pins.. something like this to give you an idea:

sistemalack.gif

A small shelf with two pins to fit (tight) into those two holes that originally anchored the armrest and you're fine. Very easy and cheap.

You only need a solid wood floor and two long metallic pins.. something like this to give you an idea:

sistemalack.gif

That is interesting. Looks very promising. Do you have any suggestions for what to do with my stick? How would I have to drill into my chair or anything like that? That is no problem btw, I just have now clue what to do with the stick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a dedicate frame for flight sim and driving sim, so my WH has a dedicate place.. however when I play at my main PC (with a normal chair) I usually place the stick in the middle of my legs, it has a large base so it stays in place coz I'm (literally) sitting on it... the only downside is that it's too near to my body, but I didn't found it to be a problem tbh.

I wanted to mount my Joystick between my legs but that just did not work out. Also, I did not want it in the way entering and exiting the Chair. I have mine mounted on the right and I do not feel this affects immersion in any way. Really I do not even think about it.

So there are options. One is the MOBO arm rest extensions which I used. But you need armrests to attach it to. Then beef them up a little with supports. I used Aluminum Stock.

Alternatively, if you don't want to buy parts you can make something your self. If you remove the plate from your warthog stick you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get the screws you will need to do this. They will have to be longer than those that comes with it.

Maybe this will give you some ideas.

My Chair: http://sdsquad.com/index.php?topic=2388.0

MOBO: http://www.ergoexpress.com/mobo.aspx

Nice setup. I considered the idea of putting it on my armrest, but I just don't think that will work out for me. I can try, but I'm not sure. I would like to have it between my legs, but not too close to me. The MOBO just looks silly and I cannot imagine myself using it. I think I will have to build something attached under my chair between my legs so I can attach my stick to it, and I'll probably detach my stick every time I do something else than DCS.

Btw, is that an actual Air Force chair? or did you put that emblem on there? Anyways, very nice chair!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was not sure where to post this, but since it is related to my HOTAS Warthog, I thought I'd best post it here.

I want to attach my HOTAS Warthog, throttle and stick, to my IKEA chair. I just have no idea how to do this. I was also thinking of getting a extension for the stick, but that won't work out for me, money wise.

Like most movable stick, I want to put my stick between my knees. But unfortunately, I would have no idea how to do that. My throttle I would just want to mount on the left. I think it would be best to somehow attach a kind of table on the left side of my chair where my armrest would usually be, which I took off. But for the stick I would have no idea what to do with it.

So my question is, does anyone here have any suggestions on how I should mount it? Once again, I am very tight on money. I have included pictures of my chair below. Thank you!

[ATTACH]83528[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]83529[/ATTACH]

I think you're on the right track. Like you I used an Ikea chair.

I built this mount out of MDF to hold the joystick onto the chair:

Eg455wP.jpg

pcrTQj0.jpg

I just used 1" wood screws to hold the mount securely onto the bottom of the seat. No need to ruin the upholstery of the chair.

Unfortunately this looks like it won't work for you because of the tension knob at the bottom. Also, my Ikea chair has four bolts on the sides that hold the backrest to the chair which I used to mount a panel box on the left side. I got some slightly longer ones at the hardware store, they're a standard imperial size if I recall correctly.

R8XlWD9.jpg

It was pretty easy to do, just build a box that's 6.1" wide (the throttle is .1" wider at the bottom than the top) and use the removed armrest as a template to drill the holes for the mounting bolts. Mine is pretty sturdy because there's 4 bolts total (2 on the side of the seat, 2 on the side of the backrest). They hold the backrest very securely and don't feel like they're going to break or anything.

The stick is very comfortable and natural feeling where it is, it's just a little hard to remove. At first I would remove the stick from the base, but lately I've been unscrewing it and taking it off between flying sessions. Sometimes I just leave it attached and lower the seat and just stand up to clear the stick. I have a couple pieces of MDF screwed in under the seat as runners to guide and hold the mount in place so I screw it in using the same holes every time.

Edited by Namco51

If you don't mind putting a few holes in you keyboard tray/desk you can do what i did and mount it to that. That way it's not awkward getting in and out of the chair, plus it is quick detachable for when you're not flying.

If you are interested in going this way, let me know and I can provide more details and pictures of my setup.

Edit: all done with pvc pipe...very easy.

• 5 months later...