First intel build a few questions

After some googleing and lots of reading I've found many conflicting ideas about a few things. So any help would be appreciated. First question is the safe operating temperature. Ive seen a few people say keep it in the 60s all they way to its fine in the mid 80s. Is there an official number as to where temperature would be considered unsafe. The second question is about load line calibration. Again many conflicting statements about using it. I would think constant voltage would be better. In my build I can get to 4.8ghz @ 1.3v and about 75°c with load line on. At the same 1.3v bios setting I'm stress testing 4.5 @64°c but the actual voltage is 1.24. I'm thinking that the 300mhz is not worth the extra 10° I probably won't notice a difference. Thanks for any insight

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Hey buddy.

First and foremost we need to know the model of chip you're using.

It's important to do at least 12 hours of custom blend Prime testing using 70-80 percent of your memory to get a maximum thermal peak. I would never allow a chip to max at a temperature over 80 degrees for a 24/7 overclock.

Here's my temps:

368807bb_Stable.jpeg

Regarding LLC, it should be kept on for overclocking. It massively increases stability under load.

Depending on your chip I can advise you further. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How To Fix Your X-52's Rudder!

If you're overclocking load line callibration is better to be on, in my BIOS is set to Full Callibrate.

The CPU temps I think is best to keep under 70°C under full load. I water cool the CPU and GPU and on my overclock of 4.2GHz (I have i7 950) on full load it's in mid to high 60°C but since you rarely get 100% of CPU utilization it's always bellow that... for example whe I fly FC2 or DCS it's around 50°C and you know, give or take few degrees depending on room temperature.

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

Yes I guess know the model might help. Its a 2500k. It seems I've hit the air cooling wall at around 4.7ghz as my temps are getting a little on the high side after that. At 4.6ghz I'm mid 60s, 4.7 high to low 70s, and 4.8 is low to mid 70s. 4.8 is also where I start needing bigger voltage jumps. I think I will try 4.8 again since it seems my thermal paste is settling. When I tested 4.8 I was getting around 10° difference between the core temps. Mid 70s on the two hot cores and mid 60s.

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb