Leatherneck Simulations Monthly Update - January 2015

Cobra847

F2r9y0P.jpg

Dear all,

Welcome to the very awesome (boring) very first (meagre) issue of the new monthly Leatherneck Simulations updates!

It's been a while since the last official LNS update, but don't fret – we've been as busy as ever behind the scenes.

Our primary focus over the past few months has been on wrapping up the MiG-21, completing various auxiliary and management tasks, as well as gradually transitioning into our next project(s).

We are incredibly excited to venture into the new year and experience all that lies therein. Without a doubt, DCS will be bigger and better than it has ever been before.

We couldn't have been as successful as we have been in 2014 without the massive amount of support from everyone.

Heartfelt thank you from the entire LNS team go out to all media representatives, streamers or writers who took the time to assess our product, the ever-patient and fantastic community, and the talented

individuals at Eagle Dynamics & The Fighter Collection, who have gone above and beyond more frequently than I can count. We can't thank you all enough!

As we've come some ways since release of the MiG-21, we are afforded the clarity of a distanced retrospective on what went right and wrong before, during and after release of the MiG-21.

After taking an honest look at ourselves and what we should change moving forward, we have made some changes in how Leatherneck operates and produces content.

The MiG-21 modules' development and release has been a learning experience in many ways, and we will be applying this new-found knowledge to better ourselves as we develop new and exciting products.

fg18MjR.jpg

One of the items that have been on the back-burner for a while have been the backer rewards.

We've simply not had the resources available to design and produce these items in the immediate post-release period.

We currently have quotes and suppliers for everything slated for production, but still have some decisions to make as to what we'll actually opt to go for.

Some physical rewards will be consolidated into bigger items. This mainly refers to smaller items such as stickers. We hope to provide amicable options for all backers, but more importantly: ship only actually useful and well-crafted items.

Quality over quantity, as it were. We hope to order production runs on these items during the course of January, and ship them to all backers as soon as they are delivered (est. February).

The DVD jewelcase artwork will be based on the cover you can currently find on the ED E-Store (here)

It will of course be expanded to encompass both sides of the case.

Many of you opted for higher backer tiers during the crowdfunding campaign of 2012, and you are thus entitled to more than one MiG-21 key.

These keys will be merged into the main key database and sent out in January. Apologies for the long delay on getting these out.

gOeoA0G.jpg

The MiG-21 is our first product and thus it has without a doubt been a considerable learning experience.

Despite our best efforts, a significant amount of flaws were pushed with the release build of the aircraft.

We've put in a concentrated effort in order to eradicate these as quickly as possible, and we hope that progress has been palpable for the end-user.

Nonetheless, there are a number of both large and small improvements and fixes still pending.

Listed below are some of the major additions planned:

• New & improved sounds, both in interior and exterior views. Based on real MiG-21 samples. Improved Engine RPM Feedback and immersion.
  • Improved radar screen visual representation.
  • Re-Introduction of red cockpit floodlights
  • Performance improvements wherever possible.
  • Major improvements in exterior 3d model accuracy (pylon tilt, wing thickness, gear door shape, front windshield fuselage joint and more)
  • New AAA quality pilot model in the cockpit (toggleable)
  • (in conjunction with previous) Animated and correct post-ejection pilot model & animations
  • Improved artwork & textures for various ordinance (SPS-141, ASO-2, Atomic bombs and more)
  • Default cockpit livery variations. (Green, Finnish, etc.)
  • 10+ New default liveries. (Bulgarian, Polish, Czech, GDR, Cuba, and much more)
  • Re-introduction of tactical numbering

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by issues found in the MiG-21, we hope they have not been too detrimental in your enjoyment of the aircraft.

Also, a big thank you to all of you who have been diligently submitting helpful bug reports, they are simply priceless.

As we move closer to the release of our next module, we plan to significantly expand the size of our internal testing team.

We hope to reduce the amount of release-build bugs in any future product launches.

In the next few weeks we also hope to resolve some of the silly activation errors occuring and causing issues for some users. This includes options to properly deactivate the module.

G30Fiiq.jpg

While we wanted to release the paint kit immediately after release, we quickly realized that this was not quite feasible considering

the amount of 3D and 2D changes coming with the updated and improved external 3D Artwork.

Thus; we decided to delay the paint kit until the very final version of the external model is released.

We know how frustrating it can be to update broken liveries, both as livery creators and end-users, so we'll make sure to try and keep any retroactive art changes to a minimum in the future.

The updated external model is slated to arrive with DCS 2.0, so expect the Paint Kit at around the same time.

The 10+ additional liveries that were created prior to release will also be made available at this time.

Special thanks to Matija Huzjak for a beautiful Croatian Air Force skin that will be included in the package.

H5LLNCJ.jpg

The fine gentlemen at ThreeAppsStudios Studios (https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=ThreeAppsStudios) have created a great Android based application

to help you fly the MiG-21.

You can find it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threeappsstudios.mig21

We'd like to extend our gratitude to Milan and his team for their perseverance and excellent craftsmanship.

Hope to work with you again soon!

6whuQ3n.jpg

2015 will mark a year of considerable growth and expansion for Leatherneck Simulations.

This will ensure that we are prepared to meet the ambitious content production goals that we have set forth for ourselves for the next few years.

Reinvestment of resources into all facets of our business will allow us to provide you all with better and far more content than before.

Since the release of the MiG-21, we have already grown to double our initial size. We'll be introducing you to each of our new members in the coming months.

We expect to add yet another 3-4 members to our staff during Q1 of 2015. This, in addition to a new permanent office location in Swinoujscie, Poland.

The release and performance of the MiG-21 solidifies our investment into DCS, and we remain genuinely committed to the flight simulation genre.

We are here to stay for a long time to come.

Currently we have three aircraft in advanced states of development, with a few more in mixed, but primarily earlier stages.

We have already hinted heavily at one of the advanced ones, and we'll be showcasing more on all three as we get closer to their respective release dates.

You shouldn't expect to have to wait until 2016 to fly a new Leatherneck module. Overall, we are confident that we will be able to cater to almost all of your tastes.

Maybe we'll even manage to avoid the pitchforks.

Regardless of the aircraft, we will always be trying to push the envelope, both in simulation and visual fidelity.

Various planned features will require solving difficult design challenges (related to both gameplay and technical considerations), but we are confident in our ability to overcome these.

By applying everything we've learned during the MiG-21's protracted development, we can focus on improving ourselves and building on our existing standards. Some of you have raised concerns about certain features or requirements precluding the development of various aircraft, but we do not currently feel limited by any such considerations.

Moving away from aircraft, EDGE now affords us the ability to build new theaters and complement our aircraft with appropriate campaigns and missions.

Currently, we have development plans stretching across a wide variety of locales and eras. Maps built by Leatherneck will adhere to the same rigorous standards we place upon our aircraft modules, and will be based on an appropriate fusion of artistic skill and real-world data.

We did plan to push a little.. something out today to tease what is to come; but following an untimely missplaced bill, our site is still down, so it will have to wait a little longer.

You'll live. I hope? :hehe:

This post turned out to far too long considering the meagre content.

Excuse the long-windedness, and expect the next monthly update to be far more image heavy. ;)

Once again, thank you all for your unwavering dedication and support. It means the world to us.

Stay tuned and expect to hear from us very soon.

Sincerely,

Leatherneck Simulations

N, M, N, R, T, C, A, A

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome stuff Nik et al.... I'm looking forward to the pending teasers and wish you all the best in 2015

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Leatherneck Simulations Monthly Update - January 2015

Thanks for the update, excited to hear more and happy for your internal growth. Wish you guys all the best!

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

AT-802, AT-802U, AT-802F

like... are you joking or are you being serious... O_e I can never tell!

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

wow... F-14 comming next?!

We love you Leatherneck!

what!?! where did it say that? am I missing something?

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Three aircraft in an advanced state of development... outstanding!

Nice to see the "Heavily Hinted" blurry airplane as one of those advanced projects. Now what are the other two? I'd like to start the speculation off with a P-38 Lightning and... Su-17M4 Fitter.

Congratulations on you success with the MiG-21Bis and I wish you the best for your upcoming projects. Great Update by the way and thank you and the LN crew for your efforts.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Thanx for the update! Sounds awesome LN, looking forward to the Mig-21 improvements :thumbup:

& also to the next aircraft announcement ;) Congratts on the success of Mig-21 & expansion of the company!

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

AT-802, AT-802U, AT-802F

I could get behind an AT-802F if the fire physics and weather were well modeled.:pilotfly:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Is it just me, or are the nav lights on the wingtips backward on that "Future Projects" banner? (red on the right, green on the left). :P

But seriously, great to hear about the upcoming things, both MiG-21 and otherwise!! :D

OMG!! Tomcat. Fantastic choice Leatherneck. I will preorder right now..if u guys offer it :p ...on steam perhaps too. :p . :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

to me it much more looks like Mig-23.. which is great if its true..

a little bit it even looks like su25..but we have that already so.. its gotta be

mig-23.. first sweep wing design dcs standard plane.. awesome ppl..plus dcs

standard radar for the mig and we are on a new level..))

Thanks for the update, I am excited that LNS will already release something in 2015. New sounds for the MiG, multiple aircraft in development, maps and of course the Tomcat are all incredible news.

And now to the fun part. The banner mentiones Cats and Ducks. Now the cats obviously referes to the Tomcat and I have the suspicion this might also include the Wildcat or the Hellcat. But what aircraft is a Duck? There would be a Grumman Duck...

Leatherneck, you guys rule. I love the MiG-21 and I love that you're most-probably-definitely making an F-14. I can't wait.

Now what are the other two? I'd like to start the speculation off with a P-38 Lightning and... Su-17M4 Fitter.

The top banner says "Cats and Ducks" as one of the topics of discussion, obviously "cats" is referring to the Tomcat. So what's the "duck" referring to? There's a Grumman J2F Duck, an amphibious biplane from the 1930s. That would fall in line with LN "catering to almost all of our tastes" cause that's pretty unique.

Edited by pyromaniac4002
SNIPED!!

It's good to hear that leatherneck is doing well. The MiG-21 was and is done so well that it really sets itself apart from other modules. I'm totally not a fishbed fan but when leatherneck made it then I sure am.

I'm sure whatever plans you guys make next will be a hit if its held to the same standard the MiG was. F-14? Hoo hoo boy ;)

We'll see I guess.