Landing the Huey

Para_Bellum

As I'm slowly getting more comfortable with the Huey I've started to change my landing pattern from deliberately slow and careful to faster, more aggressive approaches better suited to operating in hot LZs.

So far what works best for me is:

1.) approach LZ at ~80kts, 300ft AGL

2.) at ~500m from landing point I lower collective, raise the nose and step on the right rudder to enter a 500ft/min descent while slowing down

3.) I try to maintain a stable glidepath of around 500-1000ft-min descent with the speed slowing down to ~ 20kts

4.) at around 75-100ft AGL I start to pull some more cyclic to to slow down to almost a stop, raise collective and counter the tendency to swing right with quite a bit of left rudder and settle her down

Small vid "landing air cav style": :happy:

Impressive, I dream, that one day ill be able to land like that. However I'm more likely to become a hole in the ground at mo. I'm getting better, but still either landing, too short, too long or start majorly over correcting once I'm near the ground, which normally ends up with a broen helicopter.

BUT, that's still 200% better than last week. ;)

So by next week, who knows

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Great demo, Para_bellum!

I'm having a right hard time landing the Huey. I can't seem to get any real decent without picking up speed, then gaining height trying to bleed that speed off - I'm going in circles!

I think it is because of the lower lump in the X52 throttle. Thanks to your video, I know I can lower it further and still keep it under control.

Does anyone use the upper 50% of the throttle in their Huey? It might be time to work on the curvature.

Great demo? In real life he would've nearly died if he landed like that!

Why?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

As I'm slowly getting more comfortable with the Huey I've started to change my landing pattern from deliberately slow and careful to faster, more aggressive approaches better suited to operating in hot LZs.

So far what works best for me is:

1.) approach LZ at ~80kts, 300ft AGL

2.) at ~500m from landing point I lower collective, raise the nose and step on the right rudder to enter a 500ft/min descent while slowing down

3.) I try to maintain a stable glidepath of around 500-1000ft-min descent with the speed slowing down to ~ 20kts

4.) at around 75-100ft AGL I start to pull some more cyclic to to slow down to almost a stop, raise collective and counter the tendency to swing right with quite a bit of left rudder and settle her down

Small vid "landing air cav style": :happy:

OK, not trying to be a jerk here, but in a real helicopter you can't descend at this rate while flying less than 30knots as you will surely enter Vortex Ring state and auger yer ass into the ground... If those numbers you are stating are correct, then Belsimtek has some work to do regarding Vortex Ring state and their new Huey... (and I am going to try some experimentation myself.. )

For the record, I am no Huey pilot but I do have about 30 hours in a Robinson R22 and I can tell you that the pickup and hover of this Huey is REALLY GOOD... For all you folks complaining about how nervous or touchy this thing is, it is very close to the real deal at least as far as an R22 goes. I can't say how close to a Huey it is, but if you want to feel like the real deal, this sim is the one to try!

:thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

OK, not trying to be a jerk here, but in a real helicopter you can't descend at this rate while flying less than 30knots as you will surely enter Vortex Ring state and auger yer ass into the ground...

No, I'm happy for any criticism.

:thumbup:

I didn't do the descent at less than 30kts, i was slowing down from 80 to around 20 and of course I reduced the speed of descent as I got slower. For the most part of the descent I was around 50-60kts. I should've been more clear on that.

He's crabbing like mad. In real life he would've probably rolled over.

Actually, I didn't. Right before touching down I put in rudder to correct the sideways skip.

Plus the descent looks too fast and uncontrolled at the final part. Seems to me it was just lucky he didn't hit the ground prematurely.

Oh well, I still think it was a decent landing...

:huh:

Edited by Para_Bellum

Fair enough..

for the record, any descent rate higher than 300 feet per minute will get you into Vortex Ring State troubles at speeds lower than 30 knots... (And it is a strange feeling when it happens and takes a lot of altitude to recover from.. Not really difficult to do, but you will fall a long way before recovery..) If you do it on purpose in the real thing it can be kinda fun... Just sucks when it ISN'T on purpose!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

He's crabbing like mad. In real life he would've probably rolled over. Plus the descent looks too fast and uncontrolled at the final part. Seems to me it was just lucky he didn't hit the ground prematurely.

I am waiting for your video, show us how much more you´re able to make it better...

But to be fair, I have watched the Video several times now. So now I know what you mean but I have to disagree with you nonetheless...he made it happen to catch the Huey before she hits the ground. It might not be perfect...but it works. :pilotfly::joystick:

@Para_Bellum, I want to put this Video on the Wiki as sort of Landing advice/Tutorial,

EDIT:

added to the wiki --> link (Aircraft Systems / Landing Tutorials)

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Fair enough..

for the record, any descent rate higher than 300 feet per minute will get you into Vortex Ring State troubles at speeds lower than 30 knots... (And it is a strange feeling when it happens and takes a lot of altitude to recover from.. Not really difficult to do, but you will fall a long way before recovery..) If you do it on purpose in the real thing it can be kinda fun... Just sucks when it ISN'T on purpose!

In real life it's not as pronounced as it is in DCS. Actually, it's the only thing about the DCS Huey that's very unrealistic. Nowhere near how the real Huey performs with the vortex ring state.

I am waiting for your video, show us how much more you´re able to make it better...

But to be fair, I have watched the Video several times now. So now I know what you mean but I have to disagree with you nonetheless...he made it happen to catch the Huey before she hits the ground. It might not be perfect...but it works. :pilotfly::joystick:

@Para_Bellum, I want to put this Video on the Wiki as sort of Landing advice/Tutorial,

EDIT:

added to the wiki --> link (Aircraft Systems / Landing Tutorials)

Lol... I guess you're adding this to the landing tutorial to show people how NOT to land? Come on... Are we going for realism here, or for ****ing around and accepting a terrible landing just because it looked cool and didn't get anyone killed? That's more BF3 style.

I'm not saying it's easy to land the Huey in DCS, but really, this video is a terrible example of a landing.

I think people might be interested to hear your background and real world experiences upon which you are basing your criticism of the original post...

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

I think people might be interested to hear your background and real world experiences upon which you are basing your criticism of the original post...

I got almost 1000 hours as a pilot. ~55 hours PC7, ~120 hours TH67, 12 hours UH-1, ~750 hours CH-47D/F. That's where I come from, but you don't need to be experienced to analyse that landing and conclude it's not the way to go, imho.

I got almost 1000 hours as a pilot. ~55 hours PC7, ~120 hours TH67, 12 hours UH-1, ~750 hours CH-47D/F. That's where I come from, but you don't need to be experienced to analyse that landing and conclude it's not the way to go, imho.

I deeply respect your experiences and would really like to see a Video of how to do it properly, I bet you will have it ready by tomorrow? shouldn't be to difficult for you, especially with this amount of Experiences...I also would like to add it to the wiki then, every resource that will help to understand that Chopper better is very welcome...I am serious with this ;)

• Like 2

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Honestly I don´t find that landing to be bad.

A bit high rate of descend, but otherwise it seemed to be a quite stable approach.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Again: thanks guys.

Really appreciate all comments.

I know the landing's not perfect. I never claimed that. It's just a vid showing the rough parameters I've been using to (more or less) good effect when landing the Huey in a more aggressive style.

I'm sure with more practice everything will further improve.

:book:

It's just a vid showing the rough parameters I've been using to (more or less) good effect when landing the Huey in a more aggressive style.

That´s why it´s in the wiki ;)

DCS-Tutorial-Collection