Improved Towns & Villages Mod

All files, links and screenshots updated, all taken with Diveplane's Shadows, Mustang's Clouds, PeterP's HDR and SweetFX 1.4 with PeterP's settings in Spring.

Recommended for Helicopter Pilots;

My original version with blended textures from Toby23's Low'n'Slow and Enhanced Terrain Mod & Rocky's Trees here (321MB) in JSGME format;

or

Toby23's Low'n'Slow & Rocky's DTAC Trees with this version here (392MB)

Recommended for Fighter Jocks;

Rocky's DTAC Terrain & Trees with this version here (842MB)

or

Toby23's Enhanced Terrain & Rocky's Trees with this version here (341MB)

or

Foxbeard's Terrain & Rocky's DTAC Trees with this version - Removed due to claims of Plagiarism (T@ker -> Foxbeard)

All versions are JSGME and 1.2.7 compatible

Hey guys, I've been playing around with ideas for years on how to improve the towns and villages in DCS ever since I really started flying very low with DCS Black Shark as whilst the town textures look great flying an F-15 at 20,000ft, they're not so great in a helicopter at 50ft. All of my initial work hinged on aligning the 3D objects in game (houses, warehouses, etc) with the textures of the towns and adding additional 3D objects where needed to bring them to life, as it turns out I've been looking at it the wrong way!

Inspired to start work on this idea again by Rocky and Toby23's excellent terrain mods, I started playing around with the textures themselves and have created a mod compatible with both of these as well as the standard DCS terrain.

I have a lot of ideas on how to further improve these textures and add a lot more details, but for now I plan to release the current version and get some flying hours in again as I've been so focused on building these textures for the past month I've hardly logged any time on stick at all!

Below are some of the images of the new Towns and Villages that are in the final stages of testing with the boys and girls at the 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion before I release them, shown with Stock, Rocky's DTAC and Toby23's Low & Slow Mod. I hope to have them available by the weekend.

First, here is the stock DCS without any Terrain mods:

Screen_140213_184748_zpsb5c46f38.jpg~original

Screen_140213_184804_zps1a3d2e0a.jpg~original

Screen_140213_184843_zps9a8f119d.jpg~original

Here is what the mod looks like with my version:

Screen_140213_185203_zpsa5218f68.jpg~original

Screen_140213_185214_zps920e1735.jpg~original

Screen_140213_185252_zps09bb6cca.jpg~original

Here is what the mod looks like with Toby23's Low'n'Slow:

Screen_140213_190329_zpsd90b1a4c.jpg~original

Screen_140213_190353_zps9a295ed8.jpg~original

Screen_140213_190426_zps8190e966.jpg~original

Here with Rocky's DTAC Terrain & Trees:

Screen_140213_191026_zps7d8e9d75.jpg~original

Screen_140213_191039_zps3939d0a7.jpg~original

Screen_140213_191140_zps19e2274f.jpg~original

Here it is with Toby23's Enhanced Terrain

Screen_140213_195654_zps90b7c46d.jpg~original

Screen_140213_195705_zpsc69cc157.jpg~original

Screen_140213_195849_zpsaa731e87.jpg~original

Here it is with Foxbeard's Terrain Mod

Screen_140213_004334_zps90e0df12.jpg~original

Screen_140213_004414_zpsc9f3ef6c.jpg~original

Screen_140213_004532_zps72ad2895.jpg~original

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 3

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you removed the 2D pictures of villages... those with flattened hoses. Is that correct? How is seen from distance when 10-20 such small villages should appear?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I see you removed the 2D pictures of villages... those with flattened hoses. Is that correct? How is seen from distance when 10-20 such small villages should appear?

Effectively, yes I removed the existing textures containing the 2D village textures and replaced them with new ones with tree bases, dirt roads and some other small details which align with the structures.

As for how it looks when 10-20 should appear from a distance, the second and third images of each version show approximately 30 of these village tiles together.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great Idea, highly appreciated :)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Looks interesting. Looking forwards to try it when is ready.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

finally some improvement on the Villages:thumbup: The WIP Shots look great so far..but I wonder If it would be possible to add some parking places, forecourts or stuff like that...so you don`t have just Buildings on the green Fields:)

Anyway great Job, and I am looking forward to this!

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

I think I like it, because the villages blend in better.

There is one thing I don't like, though. I miss the parking lots and stuff (basically the grey stuff on the ground textures). I often orient on them, since they are easy to spot and often have rather unique shapes.

Since your mod seems to remove those it is harder to distinguish between industrial areas and housing areas.

But it certainly looks like a great start otherwise. :)

Looks nice :) Add to this great Mustang's house textures and choppers have better life :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

i confirm, i like it, but i miss the concrete and tarmac and "environment" too. maybe this is the solution: only add your fine little dirt roads and little streets to the stock textures of the towns and villages - just simply "overlay" it with your roads and streets. possible???

in my opinion that will be the perfect deal.

Edited by flanker1

WOW,

I really love this future Mod, it's very awesome !!!

Congratulation, it's very amazing. Skull

but I wonder If it would be possible to add some parking places, forecourts or stuff like that...so you don`t have just Buildings on the green Fields:)

There is one thing I don't like, though. I miss the parking lots and stuff (basically the grey stuff on the ground textures). I often orient on them, since they are easy to spot and often have rather unique shapes.

but i miss the concrete and tarmac and "environment" too

Yep, it's on the plan to add these type of details around some of the larger buildings, but it's not possible to add proper linked roads, parks, pavements, parking areas, etc to create a fully built tile due to the way that the tiles fit together. It's fine when the tiles align nicely, but occasionally around the map you'll find some that overlap each other quite a lot at odd angles, but I am working on ways to minimize the impact when it occurs and this is primarily why you only see short windy dirt roads and not straight tarmac ones.

The towns and larger industrial areas still have some of those features as is at the moment though that I kept from the original textures, here are a couple of examples:

Screen_131009_233908_zpsd6caaecc.jpg

Screen_131009_233932_zpsbd484248.jpg

I'm currently working on a couple of fixes that we've spotted on the 229th testing, specifically with how the lighting works at night which I expect to take a couple of days to fix for all of the seasons (28 tiles per season!). I'm also re-touching some of the dirt roads that I'm not happy with as well, but I'm hoping to still submit this first version to ED by the weekend.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That mod doesn't work on DCS. The buildings textures are very oddly made in LOMAC :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Highwayman but I can't see any new textures.

The roads are vector, the trees and houses are 3d models.

You've erased the textures of the towns and villages and the underlying ground texture is what you can see but where's the custom texture work?

Can you show us some up close 50ft above ground shots?

Don't mean to sound rude but I can't see any custom texture work in those shots...

I've been working on these textures too but they're a PITA as they render completely differently to the ground terrain...

Good luck.

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

Don't mean to sound rude but I can't see any custom texture work in those shots...

That's almost the point, you're not supposed to see much and they blend with the underlying terrain more rather than sticking out.

I've been working on these textures too but they're a PITA as they render completely differently to the ground terrain...

You're dead right that they're a pain to work with as they don't always appear the same way when they're placed depending on the terrain features. The textures are under the trees, the dirt roads and under the light poles, the rest is alpha that lets the underlying noise file bleed through. Phase II is to add parking areas, hard standings and the like in localised areas around the larger individual buildings where it makes sense, but this is the hardest part due to how they are aligned.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please find the download link to the release version in the first post

I highly recommend using this with Rocky's trees and DTAC Terrain or Toby23's Low & Slow mods.

Installation;

My mod is in JSGME format for easy installation, so just unpack it into your JSGME _Mods folder, add the files from the scenery mods above if you wish to the relevant seasons 'LandTexturesSeasonOther zip file overwriting the files inside and then enable it.

Release Notes;

1. I have only modified the villages in this release, the town textures used for the cities is very difficult to work with due to the way that the DCS engine places the texture files and overlaps them in game, and given the recent announcements that Wags has made about the EDGE engine, any further work I do may become irrelevant in the not too distant future.

2. Lighting at night emphasises the dirt roads a little more than I'd like, but does not reflect upon the underlying textures that I've allowed to bleed through in the villages. I've worked around this to some extent, but it's still a small compromise.

3. The download is 540MB and does contain parts that aren't strictly necessary in order to make it simple to install with JSGME, but I'm also pretty new to creating large scale mods like this, so I'm sure that there maybe more efficient ways of doing this.

4. I haven't done any hard standings or car parks in this version, pending item #5

5. There will be no further development until more information is forthcoming about the release of EDGE and what impact it may have on the terrain.

Winter at noon

Screen_131012_010646_zpse60a49de.jpg

Spring at 5am

Screen_131012_010256_zpsb8687ee7.jpg

Summer at 1am

Screen_131012_010834_zps6bedd81d.jpg

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 2

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Highwayman-Ed i've just downloaded and taken a look at the mod, it's freaking huge!

You should consider just uploading the textures you've edited so we can insert them ourselves into the zips the same way toby23 did with this work, this would save a ton of bandwidth.

Edited by Mustang