DIY G-seat

Hi everybody!

I was planning to add motion to my simpit for a long time, but since the SimXperience GS-4 G-seat is a bit too expensive for me and I didn't get any reply from the guys at Ivibe, I decided to build my own DIY G-Seat:

gseat-small-1.jpg gseat-small-2.jpg simpit-small-1.jpg

It is able to simulate acceleration in all three dimensions: positive/negative Gs, acceleration/deceleration and yaw.

You can find a short description and some more pictures of it on my simpit website: http://meintourenbuch.net/simpit/g-seat

Anybody with similar projects (or the wish of building a seat like this for him/herself) and in need of some help or advice, feel free to contact me!

Edited by Bergison

my simpit website: bergisons.simpit.info

Hi everybody!

I was planning to add motion to my simpit for a long time, but since the SimXperience GS-4 G-seat is a bit too expensive for me and I didn't get any reply from the guys at Ivibe, I decided to build my own DIY G-Seat:

You can find a short description and some pictures of it on my simpit website: http://meintourenbuch.net/simpit/g-seat

Anybody with similar projects (or the wish of building a seat like this for him/herself) and in need of some help or advice, feel free to contact me!

Linky not working at the moment. would like to check this out.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

me too now... must've been a DNS issue with my provider. I couldn't resolve to some other websites, (new ones, not in cache). Now, all is ok...

to the OP, that does look very nice!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

This looks pretty neat. I have experienced couple seat tilting systems and they were simply awful as the tilt was about 0.5 sec behind what happened in screen and therefore the effect felt as very disturbing random shaking. I can't imagine a suitably high grade tilting system can be made that would be fast enough and not injure the user and that would feel as lateral acceleration instead of tilting. As such I have been hoping that this kind of systems would be developed.

How much latency there is in the system? I'm pretty certain it can be made pretty fast but how hard it would be, what it would take? Having some kind of sensory feedback through skin would be very useful even if it doesn't feel exactly like the real thing as long as it's not uncomfortable and the difference between different directions and strengths can be felt and response is fast enough.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Can you post a Video of it in action ? would love to see it work:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Thanks for your replies!

@ MacFevre: the difference to a non-moving sim is (in my opinion) remarkable! I figured the seat would improve immersion but I didn't expect it to be so strong and realistic! Especially "pulling Gs", where all four flaps move together is great fun! I am also very happy that I did include the seat belts (they tension under negative Gs or when decelerating). When flying inverted it really feels like hanging upside down in the seat!

@ Bushmanni: I haven't measured or calculated latency. If there is any, I'm not able to recognize it while flying. The onset of Gs and all other forces is instantaneous, so is for example the kick at a not-so-smooth touchdown. I do know pretty good how accelerations feel in real flight, so I knew what to aim for when constructing the seat. But of course it will never be 100% realistic! What G-seats completely lack is the acceleration felt by the head, or in the stomach for example. You won't black out too, but as already said - it feels quite good!

@ slowhand: a video of the seat is in progress, I'm going to post it here when its finished!

This sounds/looks awesome mate. Think you'll be making these up for buyers or provide full info on how to build one? Ta

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

@ Bushmanni: I haven't measured or calculated latency. If there is any, I'm not able to recognize it while flying. The onset of Gs and all other forces is instantaneous, so is for example the kick at a not-so-smooth touchdown. I do know pretty good how accelerations feel in real flight, so I knew what to aim for when constructing the seat. But of course it will never be 100% realistic! What G-seats completely lack is the acceleration felt by the head, or in the stomach for example. You won't black out too, but as already said - it feels quite good!

Thanks. I'll probably build one of these for myself one day if nothing better comes along.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Love the seat! Perhaps I can come and try it sometime? :D

I could bring my Rift with me and we could try how immersive it is when combined.

Impressive work! How long did it take you and what software do you run that thing on?

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Wow, that's pretty nice and simple! Do you have any lateral g-effects programmed? As you've been stumbling around the x-sim community have you heard of anyone who has done a racing seat with the flaps and seatbelts style.

@ mhe: It took me about 5 months from the first thought to the finished seat. However my spare time is rather limited with a busy job and two kids, so there were weeks in between with no time at all for the project. With all necessary parts ready and a decent workflow plan, I'd say two weeks of vacation should be sufficient to build a seat like mine.

The software is from the x-sim project: http://x-sim.de/software.php?lang=eng

Combining VR with tactile feedback like the G-seat should be really interesting. Hmm, but on the other hand... this would render the rest of my simpit useless I guess. I think I'll rather stick to real buttons and switches for some time.

@ sydost: The seat simulates acceleration in all three dimensions, lateral too. I didn't include them in the drawings on my website though. During lateral acceleration (e.g. during sideslips or turns while taxiing), the flaps move mirror-inverted.

To my knowledge, there has been one approach using seat flaps for racing sims: http://www.racingfr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40582 I have not found any projects featuring seat belt tensioners so far.

Edited by Bergison

Bergison, that is a bloody brilliant build you have made there if you don't mind me saying so :thumbup:

I really look forward to seeing a vid of it running. I think I have too many project to start building one but that doesn't mean that I do not envy you build. Congratulation on a nice job and a very nice pit :thumbup:

Cheers

Hans

• 3 weeks later...

That is amazing, would love to try to do something similar for my future simpit.

I can't help but wonder though...there must be a max limit on ones weight in a system like that? I'm a pretty big guy and fear that either the system wont work or it would break under the weight.

How sturdy exactly is it?

I like it. It looks like it has potential to greatly improve immersion. I definitely intend to look into it. Especially with the VR-headsets that will soon be available I feel a new level of immersion is suddenly possible that justifies having something like this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and thanks for all your posts!

@ recoilfx: You mean a list of all the parts I used, right? I don't have one but if wished I can give a more detailed description of the seat and the parts I used on my website meintourenbuch.net/simpit

@ SafetyTurtle: as the seat is mainly made out of wood its loadability is of course limited, but it doesn't have to withstand real acceleration or movement either. The motors are quite strong and as there is one motor per flap/belt, they are able to perform without delay or difficulty. I weight about 75 kg and neither the motors, nor the motor controllers get warm even after long usage! I guess up to 100 kg of body weight should be no problem.

• Like 1

I definitely would love to have some more information on this seat. I saw this and immediately thought "I want one." I won't be able to make one anytime soon, but it is definitely something I would build in the future.

So I also would like to have as much information as you're willing to provide. Have you also thought about maybe adding the information to Tigersharks and Devon Custards wiki? Here's the link: http://www.deadfrogstudios.com/warthogpit I know they're trying to get everything under the sun for cockpits in one place so people don't have to sift through pages upon pages of replies to find information on how to build something. Just an idea :).

Edited by Hobo

does this work with DCS?

does DCS export data that can be used by this seat system?

Gs - turbulence (from weather, stalls, etc) - impacts from ordnance striking your a/c??

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now That is Cool:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol: