DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

So a better question is, aside from engine start or an engine failure (where you would move a throttle to or from idle cut-off), when do Hog drivers decouple their throttles?

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

The weapons in the game come from a particular revision of the A-10C. I don't know if they will include weapons beyond this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Will the LJDAM be in game? It would be great for moving targets:

A-10 Successfully Drops Laser-Guided GBU-54

Indeed it would, but is it actually cleared for operational use yet? I've not seen any evidence online that the hog is actually using them yet. Either way much like everything else armament wise, if it's actively used on the A-10C we stand a good chance of seeing it in the sim.

Slightly OT.

I still find it a bit odd that the US has stuck with the JDAM and gone as far as bolting a laser guidance unit on them and yet we've just taken the good old Paveway and fitted them with GPS guidance units. Both of course produce the same end result, just strikes me as odd we use two different approaches.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I think JDAM was intended as a low-cost alternative to existing precision guided weapons. Price at the beginning was around $18.000, but has risen beyond $40.000 (for the same set, I believe it comes gold plated now).

Got a few questions too :

1. ) Will the A-10C be able to carry more than four AGM 65 D ?

Asking because in FC2 four is the maximum loadout for the infrared variant of the Maverick.

2. ) Will both types of the Maverick A2G Missiles will be locking more precise on targets with the A-10C ?

Asking because in FC2 it´s taking several attempts to lock on the right vehicle ( Tunguska ) in a moving Tank column.

This procedure often takes too long and this is responsible for SAM launches because A-10A Pilots get in critical Tunguska range .

3.) Will A-10C allow the Pilot to engage the Flaps to landing position manually ?

Asking because in FC2 the Flaps are moving automatically to landing position, when reducing speed. This causes a sudden lift of the plane during final approach to the runway.

This is really annoying when your runway has been bombed in the middle and you must land on the first (undestroyed) part of the runway.

Thank you for answers !

Edited by Lightning

best regards,

GSG_9_LIGHTNING

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wags announced the weapons that will be modeled. As for particular revision, I could not tell you.

Can we be told what revision we should be expecting?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Got a few questions too :

1. ) Will the A-10C be able to carry more than four AGM 65 D ?

Asking because in FC2 four is the maximum loadout for the infrared variant of the Maverick.

It can carry six, but typically will just carry two in the current battle environments, IIRC.

2. ) Will both types of the Maverick A2G Missiles will be locking more precise on targets with the A-10C ?

Asking because in FC2 it´s taking several attempts to lock on the right vehicle ( Tunguska ) in a moving Tank column.

This procedure often takes too long and this is responsible for SAM launches because A-10A Pilots get in critical Tunguska range .

I do not see why it ought to. Pilots have trouble locking them RL as well, at least AFAIK.

3.) Will A-10C allow the Pilot to engage the Flaps to landing position manually ?

Asking because in FC2 the Flaps are moving automatically to landing position, when reducing speed. This causes a sudden lift of the plane during final approach to the runway.

This is really annoying when your runway has been bombed in the middle and you must land on the first (undestroyed) part of the runway.

Thank you for answers !

Sounds like a bug.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What bug ?

It was officially implemented with Patch 1.2.1 ! You should know that as a ED Tester ;-)

Quote from the Readme1.2.1_en.txt :

" FLIGHT MODEL CHANGES

+ Fixed an error in the F-15 polar curves that had caused a reduction in time required to achieve sustained turn rate at reduced speeds.

+ For the A-10 and F-15, added automatic flaps extension/retraction based on indicated airspeed when the flaps are set in the “down” position in the cockpit.

+ For the Su-27 and Su-33, adjusted the flaperon mechanization logic (the indicator will blink while the flaperon is adjusting depression angles – this is not a bug).

+ MiG-29 flaps will move with the wind force. "

Edited by Lightning

best regards,

GSG_9_LIGHTNING

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Lightning, you can still set the flaps to the landing position manually. Look in the controls section, there are several bindings for the flaps. One key is used to toggle raised/extended, and there's another to put them fully down.

The automatic flaps control simply retracts them when you get above a certain speed, and extends them if you get below a certain speed if the flap lever is in the 'extend' position.

For Mavericks - they normally leave the inboard station empty (i.e. only carrying a max of two on each wing) because the Mav's thrusters have a high likelihood of damaging the landing gear if it's launched from the innermost position.

So the plane can physically carry 6, but can only safely fire 4. FC2 shouldn't let you carry 6 65K's IMO.

Lack on understanding of purpose and intent on your part is not a failure on my part. ;)

The flaps are meant to be retracted if they are in the DOWN position and extended again to the SAME position the switch is set to (A-10 has two positions, maneuver and landing) when airspeed is low enough for them to extend.

If they are extending to the wrong setting, that would be a bug.

Alternatively, your takeoff or landing technique is deficient, or possibly both ;)

Ie. why are your flaps deploying just as you're landing? What airspeed are you coming in at, and why did you have the flap switch in the down position all the time anyway?

What bug ?

It was officially implemented with Patch 1.2.1 ! You should know that as a ED Tester ;-)

+ For the A-10 and F-15, added automatic flaps extension/retraction based on indicated airspeed when the flaps are set in the “down” position in the cockpit.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For Mavericks - they normally leave the inboard station empty (i.e. only carrying a max of two on each wing) because the Mav's thrusters have a high likelihood of damaging the landing gear if it's launched from the innermost position.

This has been corrected. The only reason to not carry 6 now is drag, drag, and more drag. So much drag that they do not bother with more than 2 mavericks total typically, at least IIRC. If you are taking 6 mavericks, it is because you are going into the Fulda Gap.

So the plane can physically carry 6, but can only safely fire 4. FC2 shouldn't let you carry 6 65K's IMO.

Correct, the K's are too heavy for the triple rack as far as I can recall. If you take K's, two should be the max.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmmm...not sure if i understand you correct.

Here is my procedure :

Well I put my Flaps to full down position before i take off from runway.

After the lift off i put them to full up position at an airspeed of approx. 190 mph

(and yes i already know that there are two different buttons for flaps up and down )

Then i do my CAS mission and whenever my airspeed gets lower than approx 160 mph the flaps extract automatically to full down position.

I do not want it to be done automatically. ( any way to turn that off ? )

When i reduce my airspeed to 160 mph and lower while i do my final aproach towards runway ( i want to be as slow as possible without stalling ) the flaps go down and the plane gets an extra lift up which i dont want.

This suddenly leads to a longer way until i can stop my plane !

When my runway is not damaged that wont be a problem, but it definatly might be one if you only have half of the runway after the other half has been bombed. I do not want to wreck my gear in the damaged runway areas.

Hope i could explain my problem, sorry for missunderstandings

Edited by Lightning

best regards,

GSG_9_LIGHTNING

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is my procedure :

Incorrect. For TO you put them to maneuver.

After the lift off i put them to full up position at an airspeed of approx. 190 mph

(and yes i already know that there are two different buttons for flaps up and down )

You can pull your flaps in as soon as you have 150Kts. The A-10's best climb speed, IIRC, is 180Kts.

Then i do my CAS mission and whenever my airspeed gets lower than approx 160 mph the flaps extract automatically to full down position.

Try hitting the flap toggle (f) and see what it does for you. If you pulled the flaps in and they are coming down, this is a bug.

When i reduce my airspeed to 160 mph and lower while i do my final aproach towards runway ( i want to be as slow as possible without stalling ) the flaps go down and the plane gets an extra lift up which i dont want.

Your approach should be at 150kts (not mph ... ) and slower as you are about to touch down. You should be putting your flaps down either at the threshold before rolling off the perch if doing an overhead approach, or a couple miles off the runway at the latest if doing a straight-in. Yes, at 150kts or less. You are simply flying in too fast for a landing if yourfalps come down so late in the game.

You should fly your landing by AoA in any case, not by speed.

When my runway is not damaged that wont be a problem, but it definatly might be one if you only have half of the runway after the other half has been bombed. I do not want to wreck my gear in the damaged runway areas.

The flap issue appears to be a bug. Your landing technique needs improvement as well it seems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry i meant Kts ( not mph ) its too early in the morning :-)

Well, thank you GGTharos for the "correct" take off and landing procedure advices but you missed my point.

I dont want to discuss my "wrong" techniques here (off topic anyway ) !

I only asked if i can turn off the auto flaps down/up thing ( which has been introduced with patch 1.2.1 ) and if DCS A-10 C will have the same automatic flaps down/up thing.

Simple question right ?

Edited by Lightning

best regards,

GSG_9_LIGHTNING

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is my procedure :

Post a track explaining/illustrating your problem.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I have not checked to see if the real A-10 has it, but if it does then yes, the 10C will have it also.

It does. The flaps will auto retract if the airspeed exceeds ~190 KIAS regardless of flap lever position and automatically extend again when airspeed drops to 5-10KIAS below retraction speed, provided the flap lever is set to MVR or DOWN and that the left hydraulic system is operating of course.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I dont have time right now to test it, but if you pull the flaps up using the "f" key instead of letting them go up automatically, then the problem goes away?? Sounds like that to me..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

Hi Lightning,

If you want to land with as low speed as possible, you really want flaps fully extended. Flaps reduce the speed at which the plane stalls, or will at least give you much better control at near stall speeds. Hence you´ll find landing slowly much easier.

You should find the way to have them extracted in early final though.

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

I am not sure if your using a profile for a joy stick or pressing the f key but it sounds like your not getting your flaps to retract try retracting them sooner before 160 kias

here is`what the t.o. has

Flaps will not extend and will automatically retract if the airspeed exceeds 185 - 210 KIAS. The flap control must be recycled through UP position, after

the airspeed is below approximately 180 KIAS, in order to extend the flaps. On (81), when aircraft I speed is reduced below approxImately 190 KIAS (5-15 KIAS below auto retract speed), the flaps will

automatically reextend if the flap lever is in MVR or DN. Emergency flap retract capability is provided by an emergency flap switch on the emergency

flight control panel. When activated, the switch shuts off pressure and opens the down lines to return. Aerodynamic forces drive the flaps up to

a minimum position. Flap Lever

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Thanks Eddie. That is how it will be modeled in the A-10C as well then, I'm fairly certain. I have not yet checked that particular feature out myself.

I usually have the aircraft cleaned up by the time I'm 50'-100' AGL.

It does. The flaps will auto retract if the airspeed exceeds ~190 KIAS regardless of flap lever position and automatically extend again when airspeed drops to 5-10KIAS below retraction speed, provided the flap lever is set to MVR or DOWN and that the left hydraulic system is operating of course.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I believe many have missed this preview of DCSW from February 2009. I think it answers a lot of frequently asked questions. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an English text, so this is Google-translated from Russian an corrected a bit (but it's still full of babblefishisms. I believe it was quite work-in-progress at that time, so there should be some differences, but I hope you'll still find it useful.

A-10C Warthog

Attack aircraft A-10C - an enhanced version of the famous A-10A, which served as a major air support aircraft parts Air Force U.S. for almost 30 years. A-10C - this is A-10A in the 21 st century, using systems such as Multi-Color Display (MFCD), weapons with GPS-guidance and supports data-link. Retaining all the features of previous versions, A-10C has turned into an instrument for the application of precision strikes with the most modern guidance systems, precision weapons (Maverick, JDAM and laser-guided bombs), and integrated navigation system based on GPS.

A-10C has participated in operations in Iraq and Afghanistan proved to be a precise and effective weapon in the war on terrorism, while its advanced equipment have greatly reduced the number of incidents of "friendly fire" - thanks largely to the information system SADL and opportunities to identify targets with using the upgraded systems aiming.

Despite the fact that a lot of navigation and weapons systems, A-10C have been replaced, most of the rest remained the same as in older models. Engines, fuel, hydraulic and emergency systems, communications, lighting and protection do not differ from those in the latest versions of A-10A. As with previous version, A-10C is very easy to fly and stable in flight and in the application of weapons.

Some of the noteworthy systems A-10C:

Multifunction Color Display (MFCD)

01_MFCD.jpg

The front of the A-10C are two MFCD, which can display information from various aircraft systems (DTS, TAD, DSMS, TGP, a video from Maverick missiles, etc.). They allow much more rapid and intuitive way to convey to the pilot the necessary information and make it significantly increased during the same time. Each MFCD size is 5x5 inches (12.7 x 12.7 cm) and 5 buttons on each of 4 sides. The functions of these keys depend on the selected context.

Tactical Awareness Display (TAD)

02_TAD.jpg

TAD displays the top view of the current tactical situation using symbols that represent your current position (Ownship), snap point (Bullseye), Centre of Attention Sensor (SPI), the current point of the route, active flag, symbols, data-link'a or active flight plan and range circles. TAD may be designated "lead sensor, which will designate the help of the focus sensor (SPI), using a cursor, controlled by joysticks on the HOTAS, allowing the pilot to" hook the "symbols on the display. When enabled information exchange system (data-link), the display also displays the location of allied and enemy forces.

Also, the display can be configured to display a moving map using the appropriate nautical tables.

The display always shows TAD cursor, which can be controlled by HOTAS, if the TAD is selected as the lead sensor.

Digital Stores Management System (DSMS)

03_DSMS.jpg

DSMS replaces the old arms control panel (ACP) A-10A, which was located on the front panel. All settings weapon settings reset and control of various types of weapons are now performed using the regime DSMS MFCD.

DSMS provides pilot overview map of arms hanging on each pylon, its status, the currently selected pylon, the state of general safety, the status of internal cannon GAU-8 and the current profile for each weapon.

DSMS also contains a separate page, which gives the pilot the ability to browse, select and edit profiles and parameters for the use of weapons, such as reset interval and the number of missiles in the volley of the variety of weapons. Each of the combinations of these parameters is called a profile. These profiles can be selected either from the page DSMS, from the HUD or using the HOTAS.

DSMS provides the ability to selectively reset the suspension on any pylon and the launcher.

In DSMS also present a few pages to set up regimes and power supply missiles AIM-9, and AGM-65.

A-10C weapons

30mm gun with a choice between the blast and incendiary, armor-piercing ammunition and the training

Rocket warheads

* MK1. Explosive warhead

* MK5. Explosive anti-tank warhead

* MK61. Training Missile with a single warhead

* M151. Anti-personnel fragmentation warhead

* M156. Smoke Warhead with white phosphorus

* WTU1B. Training Missile with a single warhead

* M274. Smoke marker

* M257. Flare with a parachute slowing

* M278. Launch of IR illumination parachute slowing.

Bombs general

* Mk-82. 227-pound bomb with 87 kilograms of tritonal is the most widely used A-10C unguided bomb. Provides good options lesions unarmored and light armored targets shrapnel and blast.

* Mk-82AIR. This version of the Mk-82 is an aerodynamic retarder BSU-49 / B. This allows you to quickly slowed bomb after reset, which enables to use it at low altitude, without fear get in the radius of the explosion. The bomb can also be dropped in normal mode without using a moderator.

* Mk-84. The elder brother Mk-82, 906kg to 428kg H-6 or tritonal. The most effective against low-armored and soft targets, Mk-84 could nevertheless be effective against armor, if thrown in sufficient proximity.

Cluster bombs

* CBU-87. "Combined effects munition» CBU-87 - 453-pound cluster bomb general. Tactical Distributor submunitions SW-65 contains 202 BLU-97 cassettes / B, effective against both armored and unarmored against objectives.

Training general purpose bombs

* BDU-50LD. Training version of the Mk-82 with an inert warhead and low resistance.

* BDU-50HD. Practice Version Mk-1982 from the warhead and high inertial opposition.

* BDU-33. A small bomb scrimmage to simulate on their aerodynamic characteristics of the larger. It contains a smoke charge to facilitate the registration of the results of fire.

Lighting charges

* LUU-2B / B. Lighting in the visible spectrum.

* LUU-19. Lighting in the infrared spectrum. Designed to improve the use of night vision devices.

Laser-guided bombs

* GBU-10 Paveway II. This 906-kg bomb is a variant of Mk-84 laser-guided.

* GBU-12 Paveway II. Variant Mk-82 with laser-guided.

Bombs with the GPS-guidance

* GBU-38. The standard Mk-82 with a set for the GPS-guidance systems (JDAM)

* GBU-31. The standard Mk-84 kit for GPS-guidance systems (JDAM)

* CBU-103. Standard CBU-87s set for GPS-based guidance and influence of wind (WCMD).

The family of missiles AGM-65 Maverick

* AGM-65D. An infrared camera and a directional warhead 57kg.

* AGM-65G. An infrared camera and a 136-pound armor-piercing warhead.

* AGM-65H. The electron-optical homing warhead designed to 57kg.

* AGM-65K. Electro-optical GSN and 136-pound armor-piercing warhead.

* TGM-65D. Training version of AGM-65D with inert motor and warhead.

* TGM-65G. Practice version AGM-65G inert mover and Warhead.

* CATM-65K. Training version of AGM-65K with inert motor and warhead.

* TGM-65H. Training version of AGM-65H with inert motor and warhead.

Air to Air Missiles

* AIM-9M. Short-range missiles with infrared homing.

* CATM-9M. Training version of the AIM-9M with inert engine and warhead.

Targeting Pod (TGP)

04_TGP.jpg

Suspended targeting pod Litening AT provides an opportunity to review, tracking and target illumination. He has three display modes: optical range (from CCD) and infrared camera (FLIR) in the modes of direct and reverse contrast.

The main modes of TGP include "Air-Land» (AG), «-air» (AA) and "Waiting» (Standby). Each of these modes has a corresponding control page, making it possible to adjust the parameters of TGP. Thus, MFCD mode TGP has 6 different pages.

Embedded GPS/INS (Global Positioning System/Inertial Navigation System) (EGI)

05_EGI.jpg

System EGI - the main navigation tool A-10C, which provides opportunities for accurate determination of coordinates (including altitude and spatial orientation) anywhere in the world. From EGI There are two main panels: display unit and control (CDU) and the auxiliary panel (AAP). The process of working with EGI is based on work with a set of waypoints loaded into the CDU. This database is usually created in advance in the editor job, but can be retrofit and in-flight. The memory can store up to 2,077 navigation points.

CDU is located on the right console over the AAP and provides opportunities for bilateral interaction with the navigation system EGI. It consists of a display, eight buttons, select options (LSK), six function keys (FSK), an alphanumeric keyboard and a few switches and buttons.

APP is also located on the right console at CDU and is used to control power systems CDU and EGI. It consists of two switches and two rotary switches and one push button.

air_425a_005_original.jpg

a-10c_10.jpg

air_425a_002_original.jpg

air_425a_001_original.jpg

air_425a_003_original.jpg

air_425a_004_original.jpg

a10c-013.jpg

a10c-011.jpg

• Like 2

How many way points can the A10C handel? The KA-50 has a limited amount of 5wp's if I rember right.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/