Questions regarding possible manual vs. sim inconsistencies

Hey everyone, I have some rather advanced questions mostly regarding differences between the manual and actual in-game behavior or things that have remained unclear to me despite reading the relevant passages in the manual several times and trying to reproduce the instructions in the sim. I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on these issues. All pages refer to the .pdf manual although I have used the extended spiral-bound manual for my studies.

1. The pitot heat test switch as described on page 6-43 does not seem to work in that it will not illuminate the corresponding lights although pitot heat has been enabled.
  2. What exactly is the difference between the Manual and Automatic settings of the Manual/Auto weapon control switch on the center pedestal? 6-55 says Manual will not give you an automated gate tracking size and vertical compensation for the Vikhr launcher. However, during my tests I still got these in manual mode anyway, and the only difference I actually found is that manual mode will not prevent you from firing if you do not have a launch authorization (your "C" is invalid for some reason).
  3. The PVI-800 "SIM" mode as described on 6-63 does not seem to work. At least I am not getting anything observable when enabling this mode.
  4. Is INU alignment actually implemented? It seems I am getting a perfect instant alignment as soon as I enable the INU on the auxiliary panel, and I have never seen symbols 17-19 on page 8-8 on the HUD. Also, the PVI-800 INU switches described on 6-64 do not seem to have any effect.
  5. Page 6-69 describes the latitude correction dial and switch, but does not specify how these actually work. Also, flipping the switch and rotating the dial do not seem to affect anything.
  6. The manual (6-70) says that all NDBs in the game operate in "TLG" mode. However, when I flip the appropriate switch to TLG, all I am getting is a constant beep. If I want to receive the NDB's morse code identifier, I have to activate TLF mode, which is apparently not supposed to work.
  7. Does the setting of the Heading Data Selector Switch for INU alignment (6-84) have any actual effect in the sim?
  8. Is there a way to perform the PT-12-6 test (6-90/6-91) on the ground? I cannot seem to get the EGT high enough on the ground without lifting off. On the other hand, what is the point of this test if you can only do it when you are already airborne?
  9. Page 7-7 mentions that it is possible to set ABRIS time to Zulu. However, even when selecting a zero time zone difference in the ABRIS options it will still display the time as local time. Also, it seems that RAIM predictions as per 7-89 actually treat the time entered in the appropriate field as local time, although according to the manual it should be input in Zulu.
  10. I read on these forums that saving and loading routes to/from the hard disk as described on 7-38/7-39 is not actually implemented and only work in the mission editor. Since these posts were a couple of months old I was wondering if this is still true.
  11. The ABRIS MENU-PLAN sub-mode features an "SAR" mode which is not described in the manual. What does it do?
  12. Changing the PVI-800 waypoint sequence as described on 9-4/9-5 does not work. Is this not implemented or am I doing something wrong?
  13. What is the difference in aircraft trimming behavior/logic between autopilot Route and Hover modes when no waypoint is set? (10-29)
  14. I cannot get the Shkval Scan Mode (11-10) to work with HMS enabled, although 11-10 explicitly advises you to turn on HMS for that feature if desired. Pressing the designate button with HMS active will simply relocate the Skhval focus as per standard HMS behavior instead of activating Scan Mode.
  15. Are there any negative side effects modeled if you fail to do a crank e.g. after a false start?

• Like 1

2. The VIKHR are mounted on a pylon that can move the missiles up and down to optimize their launch-direction with the laser-beam. As the VIKHR is a beamrider-missile, it's necessary that the missile flies in close proximity to the beam.

In manual mode this auto-adjustment is not active, so you have to point your nose better to the laser. If you don't the VIKHR will just miss the beam and fall down uncontrolled.

The advantage is, though, that you can utilize the VIKHR beyond the optimum engagement range.

3. AFAIK this is more a test-mode for easy calculation (thus 1,000km/h) which comes in handy, when programming a custom flight-plan.

4. INU alignment works, yes, but as the INU does not build up error in the current implementation, there is no need to do it.

5. This corrects magnetic deviation AFAIK in conjunction with the INU. Don't know if it's modeled.

7. Check 10-23 for when and how it's used.

8. Try disabling EGT governors.

10. You can edit, save and load plans from the HDD, but AFAIK the procedure is slightly different. Please look for the appropriate thread.

12. AFAIK it works.

13. Hovermode is not dependent on waypoints, Routemode without a programmed route (in the PVI) AFAIK uses the course on the HSI. Not sure, though.

14. AFAIK you should enable the HMS after engaging the scanmode. Maybe it's stated in the wrong order?

15. AFAIK it increases engine fatigue. If you e.g. collect dust while flying low, the engines might die earlier. As there is just a "per mission" fatigue, it does not have an effect as it would have in RL, I guess.

It's nice to see you take the term "Study Sim" so literally. Hope you enjoy flying as much.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

8. Is there a way to perform the PT-12-6 test (6-90/6-91) on the ground? I cannot seem to get the EGT high enough on the ground without lifting off. On the other hand, what is the point of this test if you can only do it when you are already airborne?

Two things you can do: First, make your aircraft heavier (with fuel and or weapons). Second, Only test one engine at a time. Lower the throttle on the engine not being tested to IDLE. This test is normally done with the aircraft close to it's max weight.

8. Try disabling EGT governors.

Hard to test the EGT governor if it's off.

15. Are there any negative side effects modeled if you fail to do a crank e.g. after a false start?

Only thing that happens is an increased possibility of a hot start. I don't think hot starts are implemented in the game. If that's the case, then nothing bad happens if you don't CRANK after a FALSE START. If hot starts are implemented, you will break your engine during starting.

Edited by AlphaOneSix

Page 6-69 describes the latitude correction dial and switch, but does not specify how these actually work. Also, flipping the switch and rotating the dial do not seem to affect anything.

Based on a/c I have flown in RL only, and not my knowledge of the black shark, dials like this are for operating in a degraded INU state. ie, INU normally provides position, heading and attitude info. If it knows its position it can automatically derive a magnetic heading from its magnetic deviation almanac stored within the unit as well as apply a correction to position errors that result from travelling on around a spherical earth. If it is degraded for whatever reason (ie loses its position in the world) it still has the ability to provided heading and attitude data to the pilot. The problem is that it doesnt know what corrections to make because it doesnt know where it is. Manually setting this dial to the correct lattitude tells the INU where it is and allows the INU to provide the necessary corrections to these errors.

So in summary- its not a function you need to use unless your IRU is operating in a degraded mode where it does not know its own position.

As I say, this is how it works in my a/c.....

• Like 1
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Also, regarding point 11, again from my own experiences, FMSs that have a SAR mode normally provide pre-loaded SAR patterns. ie enter a lat/long for a last known postion, choose a SAR pattern (such as creeping line ahead, expanding square or wagon wheel) and the system will load the pattern into your flight plan.

EDIT: SAR being search and rescue.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

1. Aye, looks like the pitot test lamps are non-functional. Lamps test doesn't light it up nor does the cockpit lighting.

2. Ah ha! I figured it out. The manual writer got confused. The auto/manual switch only changes the weapon readiness based on range. It is the cannon move/fix dial that has the rest of these effects. With the cannon dial in the "MAN" position the Vikhr launchers don't tilt and the "TA" tracking gates don't automatically adjust.

3. SIM PVI-800 mode doesn't work properly. If I remember correctly SIM duplicates the CHECK mode in game.

4. The INU in the Ka-50 has the ability to use data from the last flight (known position) for a faster/easier alignment on the next start. This is the mode that's always assumed when playing DCS:BS. I haven't been successful in instigating any of the 3 "from scratch" alignments (I know the in-flight one is N/I but the other two are advertised to work) so I think they may be non-functional. I think you would see the HUD indications except that they are already gone by the time the HUD is ready to display. INU update methods work but as we know INU drift is not modeled so it's an academic practice.

UPDATE: Can't get anything but accel. alignment (3 min) to work and editing the init. pos. before alignment doesn't change anything.

5. Kalza's answer sounds like the most likely. The latitude setting would only really be important if the PNK couldn't already do the necessary math to correct for latitude which might be in some non-100% state of the PNK like INU degradation or similar. The magnetic variation dial is a similar beast as there are few chances of magnetic/true conversion in the aircraft.

6. The TLG and TLF functions work as they are supposed to but they are labeled in reverse. See: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=48814 It makes me sad that no one paid attention to my discovery :(

7. It looks like the heading source switch to be used for INU alignment. Magnetic heading would use a magnetic compass instrument, flight gyroscope (default) is likely the "last known heading" method since gyroscopes keep track of heading but can't find it out from nothing, and manual entry which would be the PVI-800 data entry. I'll test to see if the manual entry works from a cold start.

UPDATE: Couldn't edit T-HEAD value in PVI-800.

8. What A16 said.

9. The manual is correct on this one. If the time zone has not been set then it defaults to Zulu. The time zone has been set before you even get into the cockpit (via LUA) and there's no way to remove its setting (+0 is a setting). I think the RAIM comment about "UTC" is that if you are operating on non-localized time (Zulu time) then when doing the RAIM calculation ETA time will be in "UTC." Notice that when in localized time (non-Zulu) that the acronym "UTC" doesn't appear on the display anywhere (figures 7-104, 7-105).

10. The saving to database only works in the preview mode of the ME because only in ME mode are permanent changes to the mission files allowed (database feature actually generates file writes). It's intentional not that I'm in agreement with it. Loading on the other hands works in all modes, being read-only.

11. Search and Rescue I would assume. It's probably a pre-made plan that can be quickly activated if there is a plan specifically saved under the "SAR slot" of flight plans. I don't know how (or if it's possible to) go about creating a SAR plan to use.

12. I've tried it too without success. It's something I need to re-try.

13. There is no real difference between ROUTE and auto-hover AP logic apart from the major ones that ROUTE maintains speed and auto-hover maintains 2D position.

If no steer task is set then the fallback behavior is to maintain the last captured values (last trim press). For heading this means that either no valid steer task light is illuminated (DL Ingress, NAVTGT, Airfield, or Waypoint + valid point) or the DH/DT switch is set to the middle position. AP route will attempt to keep tasked bank (automatic to accomplish heading task), tasked heading (DH, DT, or heading hold), and tasked speed. Hover hold attempts to maintain 2D position and heading to match steer task (DH, DT, or heading hold).

14. That Shkval scan procedure is loony. Why would you turn on automatic turn to target and moving target when scanning? You can't initiate a Shkval scan with the HMS active as well. Thankfully at least automatic turn to target doesn't have your bird sweeping back and forth trying to follow the Shkval scan.

15. If I recall a false start is the same (in-game, hold horses A16) as a failed normal start (say, forgetting to open the fuel cutoff levers) in that you have to do a crank start before you hope to do a successful normal start. It doesn't break the engine but you don't get anywhere. This is from memory; I'll check in a second.

Edited by Frederf

Thanks for everyone who participated so far.

2. Frederf, my tests have revealed you're spot on.

4. Frederf, I deliberately left the INU off until the HUD had timed in. Still, even immediately following enabling the INU, the symbols cannot be seen. What exactly do you mean with "accel. alignment"? How do you start that type of alignment?

5. Since there seems to be no way to deliberately enter a degraded INU state, looks like we must assume that these are just fancy dials that do not actually work then.

7. Have you noticed any difference between the switch settings?

8. Just using one engine at max power did the trick.

13. My fault for being not entirely clear. What I mean is the difference in behaviour between Hover and Route mode as set with the collective switch ONLY, without actually engaging Hover hold mode as indicated on the overhead panel. To give a concrete example: With all four AP buttons lit, the DH/DT switch in the DH position (I suppose for my specifc question the setting of this switch does not matter though), no waypoint etc. selected on the PVI-800, no auto-turn to target and no Datalink ingress mode activated, just flying along happily, is there a difference in trim behavior between Route and Hover mode (ONLY on the collective)?

15. While investigating this further I came up on something interesting. I did the normal engine start procedure, and after opening the cut-off valve I waited for the rapid EGT rise and then disengaged the starter with the appropriate button. This should have properly flooded the engine with fuel. Now, after doing that I was unable to do either a false start, a normal start or an engine crank with the affected engine. In all cases, the starter light illuminated, but I did not get an RPM rise with only a very small EGT rise. Any explanation for this?

Edited by Bestandskraft

15. While investigating this further I came up on something interesting. I did the normal engine start procedure, and after opening the cut-off valve I waited for the rapid EGT rise and then disengaged the starter with the appropriate button. This should have properly flooded the engine with fuel. Now, after doing that I was unable to do either a false start, a normal start or an engine crank with the affected engine. In all cases, the starter light illuminated, but I did not get an RPM rise with only a very small EGT rise. Any explanation for this?

Known bug. If you shutdown an engine before it has been running for 100 seconds, it will not start again.

13. My fault for being not entirely clear. What I mean is the difference in behaviour between Hover and Route mode as set with the collective switch ONLY, without actually engaging Hover hold mode as indicated on the overhead panel. To give a concrete example: With all four AP buttons lit, the DH/DT switch in the DH position (I suppose for my specifc question the setting of this switch does not matter though), no waypoint etc. selected on the PVI-800, no auto-turn to target and no Datalink ingress mode activated, just flying along happily, is there a difference in trim behavior between Route and Hover mode (ONLY on the collective)?

Afaik there is no difference. The AP will not take your DH/DT settings (or any other setting, just the way you trimmed your helo) into account without you activating the Route/Hover/Descent mode.

Edited by winz

4. Frederf, I deliberately left the INU off until the HUD had timed in. Still, even immediately following enabling the INU, the symbols cannot be seen. What exactly do you mean with "accel. alignment"? How do you start that type of alignment?

7. Have you noticed any difference between the switch settings?

4. Did exactly that and me neither. No HUD indications and pretty much zero control over alignment options. Accelerated alignment in that special "from last flight mode" and results in the mandatory 3 minute delay between initiating alignment and takeoff if you don't want 3 flashing AP buttons and a handful of a bird.

Mentioned or relevant entries: 13-28 Point 9, 13-29 Point 6, 6-17, and 9-3

7. Nope, likely because each mode is perfect (thus the same) or switching is not modeled.

13. I'm confused what the "collective switch" is. There are a fair number of switches on the collective. There is no switch on the collective for a "hover mode" nor is there a "hover mode" apart from the mentioned "hover hold." Perhaps it's helpful to clarify what "trim behavior" is as well. Do you mean just the cyclic spring adjusting or perhaps more about captured AP values or even more about how the AP operates with those captured values?

To be extremely precise the trim function's behavior is the same in all modes. All the trim function does is recenter the stick's springs and command update PNK with current values like heading, speed, bank, pitch, Doppler position and yaw rate. The differences in behavior from mode to mode come down to how (and if) the AP uses those values.

15. Good read on this: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53112

For extra credit someone figure out how the ABRIS VNAV system works and post a guide. I've seen it work, seen it not work, know mostly how it's supposed to work but comprehensive understanding is far off.

I mean ...

- Waypoint altitude

- Distance from/to WPT. (“-” to reach the altitude “S” km before the WPT, “+” to reach the altitude “S” km after the WPT

- WPT callsign

- WPT number

- Vertical speed

... is largely self explanatory. And there is no secret about that.

Vertical speed is automaticly calculated from "Distance from/to WPT", "Waypoint altitude" and data from ABRIS/MENU/PLAN/SPEED Sub-mode.

So if I understand you correctly you mean under which conditions is the "Graphical representation of altitude deviation from flight plan" working correctly, right?

Edited by zdXu

4. Did exactly that and me neither. No HUD indications and pretty much zero control over alignment options. Accelerated alignment in that special "from last flight mode" and results in the mandatory 3 minute delay between initiating alignment and takeoff if you don't want 3 flashing AP buttons and a handful of a bird.

Mentioned or relevant entries: 13-28 Point 9, 13-29 Point 6, 6-17, and 9-3

7. Nope, likely because each mode is perfect (thus the same) or switching is not modeled.

13. I'm confused what the "collective switch" is. There are a fair number of switches on the collective. There is no switch on the collective for a "hover mode" nor is there a "hover mode" apart from the mentioned "hover hold." Perhaps it's helpful to clarify what "trim behavior" is as well. Do you mean just the cyclic spring adjusting or perhaps more about captured AP values or even more about how the AP operates with those captured values?

To be extremely precise the trim function's behavior is the same in all modes. All the trim function does is recenter the stick's springs and command update PNK with current values like heading, speed, bank, pitch, Doppler position and yaw rate. The differences in behavior from mode to mode come down to how (and if) the AP uses those values.

15. Good read on this: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53112

4. Are you referring to the real aircraft or the sim? I just took off 10 seconds after switching the INU to on with all 4 buttons lit, and none of them flashed or went out.

13. By "collective switch" I mean switch 7 on page 6-10. Sorry, I always call the center position "Hover mode" because only this position will allow you to enter Hover mode with the appropriate button on the cyclic.

"...about captured AP values or even more about how the AP operates with those captured values?" is what I am interested in.

So if I understand you correctly you mean under which conditions is the "Graphical representation of altitude deviation from flight plan" working correctly, right?

Pretty much. I can set up VNAV all lovely any day of the week but getting a meaningful output on the little VNAV meter is entirely hit and miss, mostly miss.

4. Are you referring to the real aircraft or the sim? I just took off 10 seconds after switching the INU to on with all 4 buttons lit, and none of them flashed or went out.

13. By "collective switch" I mean switch 7 on page 6-10. Sorry, I always call the center position "Hover mode" because only this position will allow you to enter Hover mode with the appropriate button on the cyclic.

"...about captured AP values or even more about how the AP operates with those captured values?" is what I am interested in.

4. Should be both. There is a definite 3 minute timer from something happening that's INU alignment related. If you start "shooting gallery" mission and do a very fast start and takeoff you will get the AP blink light problem. It takes a takeoff to reveal the problem though, they will be solid on the ground. I'll fiddle with it some more.

13. Ah, the Route-Descent switch. The middle position is just "off" or "normal." I hadn't tried it until recently that auto-hover and route are incompatible. I still haven't tested that auto-hover cannot be initialized when the route-descent switch is in the descent position. (Just for curious trivia, the descent half of the route-descent switch in the real aircraft is momentary/spring-loaded so it must be held down so it doesn't return to the neutral position. The route direction is not momentary/spring-loaded and stays without holding.) You're asking what the AP behavior difference is between route mode on and normal flight, yes?

The answer is yes, "Route Without Task" as its called does differ from normal AP-hold-assisted flight. Route without task uses the bank and pitch channels to maintain heading and speed which differs from normal flight where the bank and pitch channels simply maintain the captured bank and pitch angles. This means that "RWT" will actively bank and pitch the aircraft within authority to maintain captured (air)speed and heading values instead of the less sophisticated behavior outside "RWT."

Cyclic inputs seem to be more dampened when in RWT mode than in simple AP hold as I've seen in testing which might be a consequence of the speed (using pitch) hold function.

Some facts first:

(1)

Figur in meters above sealevel.

The figure is directly related to the waypoint-altitude of the MissionEditor, means figure (1) and waypoint-altitude are the same.

The figure has also a directly relation to the display in (2).

(2)

The scale is in 10 meter steps. Maximum display is 50m above desired flight plan and 50m belove desired flight plan.

The green needle in (2) indicates the desired flight-plan-altitude. If green needle below the middle = you are to high and vice versa.

ScreenShot_513.jpg

(3)

Figure in meters above sealevel.

The figure is directly related to the waypoint-altitude of the MissionEditor, means (3) and waypoint-altitude in MissionEditor are the same.

The figure is also directly related to (1).

(4)

Desired flightplan altitude of point X (middle between WP"2" and WP"3") is here 912m ASL.

Desired altitude of WP"2" here 1200m ASL.

Desired altitude of WP"3" here 624m ASL.

Desired altitude-calculation from one waypoint to another is always linear.

(5),(6)

(5)is almost a requirement for (6)

ScreenShot_520.jpg

ScreenShot_518.jpg

Track (5MB) shows the use of the "Graphical representation of altitude deviation from flight plans" and

some relationships to the ABRIS-flightplan and ABRIS-VNAV-submode.

http://rapidshare.com/files/385151085/VNAV.trk (Deployment-01-mission)

The graphical representation of altitude deviation works only correct if the flight-plan and related stuff is not changed during the mission.

That means only the original flight-plan made in the mission-editor effects the graphical representation of altitude deviation correctly.

You have to initate the altitude graphical deviation by pressing the ABRIS-"Suspend"-button or by pressing the ABRIS-"Activate"-button (in the VNAV-Submode) or by flying over the waypoint or ... etc. etc.

The graphical representation of altitude deviation works only correct if the flight-plan and related stuff is not changed during the mission.

That means only the original flight-plan made in the mission-editor effects the graphical representation of altitude deviation correctly.

Ouch, that seems like a pretty big bug. Many of the ED-made missions are simply without a VNAV plan. Are you sure you can't get VNAV indication if you edit anything?

Do you know if setting the ABRIS altitude sensor to something other than GNSS (baro or radio) changes VNAV behavior? I've found that the plain old altitude readout not only follows the baro gauge but also any changes to the QFE knob!

One thing that bothered me is that the offset VNAV points are called "top-of-climb" and "top-of-descent" when they aren't exactly that. They are the "initiate" points and are therefore "bottom-of-climb" and "top-of-descent." The manual gets it right on 7-109 but wrong everywhere else.

VNAV display should (if the programming bugs weren't there) never have to be "activated" special. The SUSP and ACTIV buttons are flight plan functions, not VNAV functions. The VNAV should simply display to match the flight plan.

VNAV display should (if the programming bugs weren't there) never have to be "activated" special. The SUSP and ACTIV buttons are flight plan functions, not VNAV functions. The VNAV should simply display to match the flight plan.

1.) When you start from a parking-slot.

2.) When you choose the next waypoint after the last waypoint.

Only in these cases the VNAV needs the "activation" with the SUSP or ACTIV(VNAV-submode) or "WP" (flightplan-submode) or fly-over-waypoint-method or ... etc..

Ouch, that seems like a pretty big bug. Many of the ED-made missions are simply without a VNAV plan. Are you sure you can't get VNAV indication if you edit anything?

To clear this up. You get VNAV-indication, but only the default one, which comes from the flight-plan of the MEditor. And that is wrong in most cases when you have modified the flight-plan.

IF you want a correct VNAV-indication-needle then don't touch any VNAV-data, don't move the waypoints, don't use alternate flight-plans.

The only correct modification of a flight-plan is to do it in the MissionEditor itsself (;

Edited by zdXu

What I mean is the ACTIV button on the VNAV subpage is there to activate the entire flight plan. It and the and the ACTIV button on the PLAN page are one and the same function.

That's sad that only ME data drives the VNAV indicator. Most of the ED-made ABRIS plans are suicidal rubbish.

That's sad that only ME data drives the VNAV indicator. Most of the ED-made ABRIS plans are suicidal rubbish.

The situation is not hopeless (;

Within 5 minutes it can be easily made a tool that shows in the MEditor only your flightplan and hide all other units,statics,etc. Then you can make changes to the flight-plan without cheating the mission.

The answer is yes, "Route Without Task" as its called does differ from normal AP-hold-assisted flight. Route without task uses the bank and pitch channels to maintain heading and speed which differs from normal flight where the bank and pitch channels simply maintain the captured bank and pitch angles. This means that "RWT" will actively bank and pitch the aircraft within authority to maintain captured (air)speed and heading values instead of the less sophisticated behavior outside "RWT."

Cyclic inputs seem to be more dampened when in RWT mode than in simple AP hold as I've seen in testing which might be a consequence of the speed (using pitch) hold function.

So it was not just my imagination. Thanks for confirming this.

4. Should be both. There is a definite 3 minute timer from something happening that's INU alignment related. If you start "shooting gallery" mission and do a very fast start and takeoff you will get the AP blink light problem. It takes a takeoff to reveal the problem though, they will be solid on the ground. I'll fiddle with it some more.

Frederf,

INU alignment is not modelled in DCS:BlackShark (i.e., alignment is instantaneous). The AP blink light problem you describe is, I believe, caused by the start-up time of the doppler velocimeter, which takes about 2.5 minutes. Without the velocimeter, you don't get a groundspeed reading on your HUD and, additionally, attempting to engage the auto-hover function before the velocimeter is running will result in autopilot channels disengaging (e.g., some of the blue lights blink). I know pitch and bank channels are affected, I can't remember if the altitude or heading channels are affected as well.

You can test this by doing a normal start-up and then establishing a hover without using of Auto-hover. Turn the Nav and K-040 switches off, count a few potatoes, then turn them back on. The HUD'll turn off when you turn the switches off, but pop back in just a few seconds after you turn them back on: note that there's no groundspeed indication. Now try to engage auto-hover -> there'll be no auto-hover and blinky lights.

Edited by EinsteinEP

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.