Perfect stick for A-10C from Thrustmaster?

Surely standard exchangeable sticks on a well featured base are a great thing.

Depending on what “DCS:” module comes after “A10”, and how well the sticks sell, and how TM predict sales of separate, cheaper sticks for specific aircraft and how well DCS sells plus additional sim sales,(BOB for example when it ever comes out), TM may release interchangeable sticks for the base.

At least they are keeping their options open by doing things this way. A very smart strategy in this economic climate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They actually had the same in mind when they released the Cougar. But as we all know, the simulation market didn't really grow after 2001. Hopefully with SoW and DCS:A-10C being released "soon", that will give the market another boom. Especially for newcomers from HAWX, BOP, BF1943, etc.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

At the end of the day there is more opportunity for sim developers to broaden their market because of several factors which have changed the whole scene since 2001;

·
A much larger potential user base, (even peoples grandparents have PC’s now)

·
A more connected user base due to global fast internet connectivity

·
Quicker sales opportunities with Steam, etc and paypal type online payment schemes

·
A more tech savvy populace than 2001, (relatively anyway)

·
A focus on easy to setup multiplayer to drive sales interest (no more null modem cables, mathcing services, etc)

Bearing these points in mind it seems short sighted of companies such as MS (closing down Aces), when all that is needed is a newer sales model embracing change rather than sticking with old methodologies.

ED are ahead of the curve here. For example I haven’t bought the boxed DCS or FC2, having downloaded both. They are backed up on my USB pen!

The steep learning curve and real need for a big printed manual are the only sticking points preventing sims really kicking off big time IMO and these issues can be addressed by offering printed manuals online (TFC, etc), and including “game modes”, like BS and comprehensive training vids as in FC2.0.

Overall I feel more optimistic about the future of our hobby than I have done for a long time!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

^ Don't go OFF-TOPIC :P (however you can read manuals on LCD screens, laptop, ebook device, 2nd screen... it is now cheaper then printing few manuals)

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

^ Don't go OFF-TOPIC :P (however you can read manuals on LCD screens, laptop, ebook device, 2nd screen... it is now cheaper then printing few manuals)

okay, to summarise;

joystick look NICE :thumbup:

me WANT :joystick:

reading manuals on screen BAD :cry:

I blame feuerfalke, he started it! Besides, we are 'on' topic. But its a large and complex topic.

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll probably buy this one at once also :)

It looks very nice, if the base sucks like on the cougar I'll mount the handle on the good old msFFB2 :D (might do that anyway..)

Would be very nice if they released an FFB base I thinks (if they make it right that is, like the msFFB2), would be super for black shark and most of all for sowbob.

I blame feuerfalke, he started it! Besides, we are 'on' topic. But its a large and complex topic.

:angel:

I think we're still on topic.

Perfect summarize btw. ;)

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

me WANT :joystick:

ME WANT ALSO :joystick:

I am just worried that first production batch might have "issues". So I will wait for community review and monitor TM support forums.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Posted in UbbiZ00

509767.jpg

Unique Replica of the A-10C Aircraft Controller

Replica JOYSTICK:

- H.E.A.R.T™ HallEffect AccuRate Technology: 3D magnetic sensors (Hall Effect) on the stick:

enjoy surgical precision that stays razor-sharp over time, 16-bit resolution (65536 x 65536

values)

- USB connection with upgradeable firmware

- Super-stable, weighted base (over 3kg)

- New detachable handle, crafted entirely of metal: also compatible with HOTAS COUGAR

handle (and vice-versa) , new replica shape, detachable metal plate for desk- or cockpit-style

use , new, realistic pressure on buttons and trigger and 19 action buttons in total + one

8-way “point of view” hat.

Replica THROTTLES:

- H.E.A.R.T™ HallEffect AccuRate Technology: 3D magnetic sensors (Hall Effect) on the 2

throttles: enjoy surgical precision that stays razor-sharp over time, 14-bit resolution (16384

values) on each throttle

- USB connection with upgradeable firmware

- Dual throttles, featuring: metal hand rest, locking system, adjustable friction system with no

dead zones, realistic pressure on buttons and switches and 7 action buttons in total + 1

mouse hat.

Replica CONTROL PANEL:

- Weighted base (over 3kg) incorporated underneath the throttles

- Backlit functions

- 5 large, programmable LEDs

- Realistic pressure on buttons and switches

- 13 action buttons in total + 1 TRIM wheel.

Sokol1_Br

Looks nice!

• Like 1

There are several entries for this HOTAS on Dutch pages, one of them had a (now removed) pre-order date (or is that release date?):

Levertijdindicatie: Pre-order tot 01-06-2010

And price:

€ 312,00, € 262,18 ex BTW

That's around $350 + tax, could be less in USA. And tax here is unavoidable, unlike in some other parts of the world.

Link to the Google cache of the print version of the page:

Salland Automatisering B.V.

I am one of the team of organisers for a large flight sim convention here in the United Kingdom - http://www.fscweston.co.uk

I have been talking to Gillimot (who represent Thrustmaster) and they wanted to preview the controls at our event on may 15th. However due to the date of release being pushed back it looks like this wont be happening.

The post above sounds like the same sort of scenario - i should imagine they have has a setback with the manufacturing process and not the controls themselves. That would explain the sudden dissaperance of the page referred to above.

The price shouldnt change to much though.

Ill keep you all informed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No - Its a Stinger - Damn.......

My Pit - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42253

What I don't understand: If they put so much effort into this stick, why don't they make it a long stick? In the end the A10 stick is mounted on the cockpit floor! If this is going to be an option offered by thrustmaster I'll buy one!

Because most people don't have a homecockpit?

Besides that, the Cougar and Warthog apparently share the same easily detachable stick. With the common screw-connection (at least for US-standard size) and the standard electronic connector, it is pretty easy to make an extension. Urze has sold them a few months ago before he "vanished", but the you can easily make them yourself. The screw thread is common in garden watering worldwide, metal or stable plastic tubes are available in compatible sizes as well.

So why make something a "must" and reduce possible sales, when you offer a "can"?

With the size of the base there is no way to get the full size stick extention the max on the old cougar is 4 inches. so if you really want a floor mount . there are two choices Bye a real stick or make one

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if you mean the base is too small for a floormount, I recommend a closer look at the base. There are 4 holes on the plate to fix it e.g. on a larger plate or cockpit floor.

To clarify the size of the base its to small to use strong enough spring to off set the extension of the stick and the weight of the grip. this is why IJ longest extension is only 4 inches for any of his gimbals mods. As for screwing the base box to a larger floor plate with an extension of 16 inches to be the same as the real stick. You will run in to problem of the base's material lacking strength.An example is the problems with the grip screws striping threads http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php#thread

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Yes, but now you don't need to worry about the strength of the baseplate. If you want a longer extension, it's much easier now to apply additional springs. Just imagine how easy it would be to implement the equivalent to an EvenString-Mod, when you can simply attach the springs to the screws you fixed the base with and connect them to the stick. IMHO this does not allow less, but much more options on how to make up your homebuilt cockpit.

And beyond that, the small base containing the mechanics also offer to fix the stick directly on the seat between your legs.

Even more possibilities! Not less.

Well now you have just agree that you will build a modified stick to get the extension to Work my point exactly!!! The addition of extra springs removes the poorly made base by base i mean the box the gimbals attaches to. The box limits the size and number of springs use!!!

I'm not sure what you mean, but the flash ad said "This is the end of the era of gimbals and potentiometers!" So apparently it doesn't use gimbals, or am I reading this wrong? Also the metal base plate is detachable from the electronics housing. At first glance, the Warthog definately seems more cockpit builder friendly than the original Cougar :thumbsup:

Your point is, that the springs are too weak, because the base won't support stronger springs and the housing is too small.

My point is, that you can't tell how strong the springs are and how strong the baseplate is, judging from the size of the base. But even if they really turn out to be too soft for a stick extension of realistic length, this design offers you a more possibilities than the old case.

That is not really the same statement ;)

@Chibawang:

That's what I think. We simply don't know what technology is used for centering. Gimbals and springs as in the original Cougar are not. So judging from the size from a small picture on the quality of the centering mechanism is a bit superficial IMHO.

Edited by Feuerfalke

Oh, I see what you're saying now, doesn't really seem like a problem though. If you're already going to the trouble of making a stick extension, you might as well add a larger housing to the base if it's really needed. And if you're putting this in a cockpit you would probably want to build one to match the real thing anyway.

My points were directed to the base box of the cougar .

Do to the fact the warthog HOTAS has not been release and i have not pulled one apart i can't coment on it.

The points of size and spring tention are not my own along but also IJ the manufacture of the U2 and Über II NXT mods http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php#nxt

With the amount of room in the box base of what ever you want to call it there is not enough room to place springs with enough tension to support a 16 inch stick. I am not sure what model your point is about.I have been talking about the cougar witch i have personal experience with owning a u2 mod with the 4 inch extension and trying to talk IJ in to a longer extension.The reasons i don't have a longer extension are the same reasons I have pasted along from IJ, And my own experience modifying my cougar

Your all so incorect about the strength of the base and base plate when you increase the length of the stick you all so increasing the force on the base as you increase the tension on the stick with springs or another tension device.;)