DCS: Black Shark - Q&A **READ FIRST!**

EvilBivol-1

I have a question regarding how ED plans to model the physics.

Will the handling be made as realistic as possible or will it be dummed down to be easy enough for everyone to fly?

I hope it won't be the latter. Helicopters tend to be tricky to fly, this is partly why the Heli Flight sim community is small.

(Hovercontrol)

I hope us heli enthusiasts won't be disappointed. :)

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the handling be made as realistic as possible or will it be dummed down to be easy enough for everyone to fly?

I hope it won't be the latter. Helicopters tend to be tricky to fly, this is partly why the Heli Flight sim community is small.

(Hovercontrol)

Well the game is coming out of the box with two available levels; a playable low learning curve version and the full "study sim" which is what really appeals to most of us I think.

(Hovercontrol)

The full realism flight physics mode is more realistic than anything you've ever seen before.

ED are pretty much aiming to deliver professional level dynamics and modelling to the private market with DCS. The kind of thing the military or an airline would expect for pilot training.

With this in mind, I'd say the Hovercontrol chaps are going to LOVE the Ka50 ;)

The missions are a bit more limited in scope, of course . . but the modelling of the aircraft physics and systems will blow your mind.

Based on questions that we've come across over the past few months, we've added a number of additional FAQs to our original list. Here are the new entires:

Q: Why are you modeling "A" versions of the AH-64 and A-10, when more advanced models are now in service?

A: To achieve the DCS standard of model authenticity, we require access to multiple aircraft manuals and expert advice, which is simply not available for the latest versions of these aircraft for security reasons. Although some previous simulation titles have included the more advanced upgrades, our goal is to provide a much more detailed and realistic model of all aircraft systems and performance characteristics. In addition, earlier aircraft models feature more closely matched capabilities, which will benefit gameplay. Should the opportunity present itself, it's quite possible that more advanced models can be included in future DCS modules. Note, in the case of the A-10, we are modeling one of the later upgrades to the "A" version, which remains in active service today with a number of USAF squadrons.

Q: Do you plan on modeling more advanced versions of the Ka-50, such as the night-capable Ka-50Sh and the dual-seat Ka-52?

A: Currently, we have no plans to model either the Ka-50Sh or the Ka-52. If either of these aircraft is adopted into service in the future and we are given an opportunity to model them accurately, this might change.

Q: Considering the Ka-50 is the only flyable aircraft in DCS v.1.0, how will you handle head to head multiplayer?

A: Head to head play will certainly be possible by adding the Ka-50 to another coalition. However, we expect the emphasis in the first DCS modules to be on cooperative multiplayer games. In particular, the Ka-50 includes datalink equipment that allows up to four aircraft to work together and exchange aircraft position and targeting information. This capability is modeled in both singleplayer with AI wingmen and multiplayer with player-controlled Ka-50s.

Q: What about the manual? How comprehensive will it be? Will you be able to pre-release it? Will there be a hard copy of the manual? Will it be available in languages other than English?

A: The DCS: Black Shark manual will be very comprehensive. It will cover in detail the Ka-50 and its systems, flight and combat operations of the helicopter, and the game interface. The manual will be approximately 500 pages long. While we cannot promise it, we would like to release the manual ahead of time to give users a chance to become familiar with the simulation. The product will include an online version of the manual, but users will be able to purchase a hard copy separately. We will announce the details when ready. We hope to be able to provide the manual in English, Russian, Spanish, French, Japanese and German.

Q: Will DCS include a dynamic campaign system?

A: The initial DCS campaign system will not self-generate missions. However, it will consist of any number of phases, which can include any number of missions. The player will move forward or back through the phases depending to his mission performance. When combined with the mission editor's trigger system, it can provide high replayability value and a sense of player impact on the campaign.

Q: When?

A: 2008

Q: Why is the DCS terrain not as detailed as other games like Battlefield II and Armed Assault?

A: The initial release of DCS (the Black Shark module) uses a modified version of The Fighter Collection Simulation Engine (TFCSE). This is the same engine we used for earlier entertainment and military-grade simulation products. This engine provides worlds that are much, much larger and much greater rendering distances. As such, object density cannot be as high or suffer significant frame rate slow downs. We believe the current DCS engine provides a good balance of large and diverse worlds with detailed graphics. As we develop our new DCS engine, we will increase terrain detail even further.

Q: Can I become a beta tester for DCS?

A: Right now we are not accepting new beta testers. However, if you feel you can provide a unique skill to the team as a tester or content provider, please feel free to contact the DCS producer, Matt Wagner via a PM.

Q: Will the Ka-50 in DCS: Black Shark include night operations?

A: While the Ka-50 in DCS can use night vision goggles, the current Ka-50 (real world and in our simulation) is not fitted with a Forward Looking Infrared (FLIR) or low light television system (LLTV) like in the Su-25T. However, missions can be set up to have AI aircraft deploy illumination flares over the battlefield.

Q: What will the radio traffic environment be like in DCS: Black Shark?

A: For our initial release, it will be much like our previous products. However, ATC and communications with ground crew have been expanded. Additionally, the number of communications with your wingmen has also been expanded. In later iterations of DCS we intend to include AI to AI radio communications that the player may listen in on.

Q: What will the weather system in DCS: Black Shark be like?

A: Be it clouds, winds, fog etc., weather will be much like it was in our previous products given we are using the same base engine. As we move forward with the new engine, we plan to add greater detail to the weather model.

Q: Will I have to spend several minutes starting the Ka-50 every time I start a mission?

A: No. If you wish to start on the ramp/FARP, you can either manually start the aircraft (as seen in videos) or press a key for an automatic start sequence. The option is yours. You can also start on the runway or FARP with all systems up and running. Finally, you can start in the air with all systems up and running.

Q: Will DCS: Black Shark use DirectX 10?

A: There are no such plans at this time. DCS is currently rendering in DX9 and at this time we see no significant benefit to transitioning the engine to DX10. This may change in the future.

Q: While it is good that Eagle strives to make very detailed vehicle simulations, how about developing some additional vehicles at a lesser detail level that you may not have complete data for?

A: Given our equal focus on military-grade simulations for non-entertainment purposes, we now only pursue projects that we have ample data for such that we can demo to the military as representative of what we can do for them. Guess work is not an option. While no synthetic simulation will ever be 100% accurate given the constraints of the PC platform, we strive to be as close to that as we can. Knowingly making educated guesses is again not an option (see point 1). This level of detail is one of the primary hallmarks of the new DCS line of products and just one thing that separates it from the Lock On line and other PC-based helicopter sims. We realize that this restricts us to the number of aircraft we can model, but even with the aircraft we have good data for, we will be busy for at least the next decade.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

ED's approach to code accessibility is to gradually move toward a more open code architecture. I don't think we will ever see source code in the open, but we will see more and more code in open lua format. This trend can be seen in FC, will be seen much further in Black Shark and will continue on after.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules

ka50blackshark3gi5.jpg

ka50blackshark2md1.jpg

• Like 1

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals

• ED Team

This roof is removable on the screw-bolts. By the same device it was may removed or installed by technical issues.

• Like 1

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

• ED Team
My guess its for having a better FOV.

I will direct one of the devs to this thread.

Yes. You are right.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

No, the cockpit model does not feature the HUD "cap." It's a small discrepancy between the Ka-50 3D model and the cockpit 3D model. Maybe ED can fix it up, we'll see. Real Ka-50s are seen with the cap on and off. The reason is the same in reality and in-game - visibility.

P.S. For future reference, it may be helpful not to attach large screenshots into a thread. If you can, try to link to or attach images. Thanks.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules

• 2 weeks later...
What about recorded tracks playing accuracy? Have You Devs done something in this matter? I see so many differences in what happened on servers and what I see in tracks from same missions when I play them.

As in Lock On, tracks should play back properly given the same game version (unless bugged). Running the track in a game version different than the recorded version may cause incorrect playback.

Testing the track system has been one of the ongoing efforts in the beta test team. A lot of effort has been and continues to be spent in this area.

In related news, Vyrtuoz has recently been added to the test team, so it's quite possible that TacView or a similar program may be fully integrated into DCS some time down the line.

• Like 1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules

What were the main sources of technical information ED used for developing Ka-50 systems, avionics, adjusting flight performance to match the real machine, etc ?

Original flight and data manuals i think.

The main obstacles for new aircrafts in DCS Series are the original manuals availability.

Bye

Phant

AMVI

I have a question for ED, I appologise if it has been asked&answered before. What were the main sources of technical information ED used for developing Ka-50 systems, avionics, adjusting flight performance to match the real machine, etc ?

Aircraft/system manuals, SMEs (advisers), some cooperation from the Kamov company.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules

Another question about the ME: will it be possible to associate triggers with radio calls? IIRC this was possible with Operation Flashpoint' s ME and it was an easy way to make customized radio calls that the player could use to control other flights, ground units or artillery.

No radio triggers yet.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules

Suppose that I wanted to develop a WWII addon for BS at some point. Would that be feasible at all... or should I perhaps change my medication in order not to come up with such loony ideas in the future, eh ;)

• Like 1

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Suppose that I wanted to develop a WWII addon for BS at some point. Would that be feasible at all... or should I perhaps change my medication in order not to come up with such loony ideas in the future, eh ;)

:juggle:

the meds.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules

need a good monitor

Viper, the gourmet! :D :D (good come-back ;) )

An lcd monitor question for the beta testers, and other NOE flyers. What's good monitor spec to ensure smooth graphics while flying NOE at speed in BS or LOMAC? My video card will be either the 8800GTS/512 or the new 9800GTX/512. I just don't want to make a decision based on reviews of land-lubber shooters, but rather on performance in flight sims . Don't mean to sound too particular, just looking for a capable 22 inch lcd

• Like 1

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

So - the campaign system can have a (any?) number of stages, with a (any?) number of missions to each stage, and the missions withi a stage can be assigned a probablilty of being chosen by the game when selecting a mission from that stage - Yes?

All good :-)

There's no built in ability to set probabilities for individual units appearing within a specific mission though is there (as through the LMR utility)?

The new mission 'files' are zipped bundles with the actual mission & other supporting file inside. - Do you know if the 'mission' part of the archive is still closes enough in structure to the old LO files that a utility based on LMR could be used to randomise them ?

Cheers.