DCS: Black Shark - Dev Updates - 09 July 2008

Wags

Thanks for the update Wags - we seem to be much more 'in the loop' lately - much better :-)

PS.

I know that ED is currently focused on finishing Black Shark, followed by a AH-64 module and A-10 module

I know that ED is currently focused on finishing Black Shark, followed by a(n) A-10 module and (an) AH-64 module

Cheers.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to the PDF version that will ship with the game, we hope to also sell a hardcopy bound version.

SWEET!!!!!. My printer will thank you for this fine addition.

I think the best manual I have ever encounted was the one from Falcon 4. It wasn't a hardcover, but it was ring-bound (which is cool because it opens easier on the desk then a hardcover).

Thank you guys for the update. Can't wait for more Producer Notes on the website. Keep up the good work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

161 Squadron

Australia's DCS Community

All in all, we’re probably looking at a 550-600 page manual for DCS: Black Shark. In addition to the PDF version that will ship with the game, we hope to also sell a hardcopy bound version.

HOW MANY PAGES:shocking: can this be released like 2 months before the game is released so we can get a good heads up..

Keep up the good work and a happy new year.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I can't believe you stopped slaving away JUST to update us! :mad: No soup for you, Matt! :megalol: Now I have to be of good cheer, and wish all of DCS_Land a great holiday season. That was a great update; impressive stuff coming for us Black Shark fans. I like the idea of those two chosen campaigns too. And having worked out avenues for contribution by the modding community is bound to be a great success and a footprint for other sim producers to follow (getting modders involved during the creation of a study sim). Nicely done!:thumbup:

Thanks Wags!

Flyby

I used to be involved with LOMAC on a small part myself, though unfortunately not as involved as BS has been, they've kinda sorta cracked the whip on the Ka-50 but overall it's been fun though, and thanks for the update Wags! :thumbsup:

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Wow ... I'm excited about this sim. This is my first post here ... and I've been lurking here from time to time. If the manual comes only in PDF on the CD/DVD ... no biggie to me. I'll bring it to my local office print store and make a spiral-bound version myself ... :D

I just informed the wife-unit that she won't see me after this sim is released. I'll be locking myself away for months ... CAN't Wait ! ! !

http://www.HeloSim.Com

- - - - - - - - TO FLY IS HEAVEN. TO HOVER IS DIVINE - - - - - -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A question to Wags,

First, thank you for the great info you gave us. That was good for xmas.

At least we see the target point in the middle of 2008. I'm using Lomac now since 2003 and I'm very satisfied with the performance, except for one part of FC: It's called Starforce. This protection program gives me once a year a real headache. I use the CD version of Flaming Cliffs. Now, I can't use FC anymore due to several unknown reasons -which I don't want to mention - and unfortunately I'm back to Lomac 1.02. Wags, I don't want to bother you with this problem, but is DCS going to use this terrible system for BS?

I fully understand the situation of copy protection which is very important, but isn't there another copy protection system out there who is secure but not so complicated for the users? The forum even has one or two stickies and alot of threads in the years just to cover this problem. I guess these lines are worth a thought.

I surely hope that Black Shark has the same success as LO!!

Thank you for your attention.

tacit

E-3B Sentry --Don't leave without 'em--

There is normaly a really simple way of avoiding starforce issues, have a dedicated gaming PC which doesnt have ripping and burning software on it, i've never been into ripping and copying stuff ( Legaly or Illegaly ), one each of the past 3 machines I have run in the past number of years I have not had a single problem with SF.......on the other hand I have a friend who rips and burns movies and games all the time and can never run or use SF protected software, simple but hard choices I guess.

• ED Team
Wow ... I'm excited about this sim. This is my first post here ... and I've been lurking here from time to time. If the manual comes only in PDF on the CD/DVD ... no biggie to me. I'll bring it to my local office print store and make a spiral-bound version myself ... :D

I just informed the wife-unit that she won't see me after this sim is released. I'll be locking myself away for months ... CAN't Wait ! ! !

http://www.HeloSim.Com

Welcome Lionpride. I'll be in touch when we are ready to send of press copies for previews.

Thanks

• ED Team

Hi tacit blue,

What we said in this thread pretty much stands:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=27096

Q: What copy protection system will the DCS series use?

A: We are currently evaluating several protection methods that we hope will balance the protection of our investment with customer concerns.

In fact, I have been in touch with both Direct2Drive and Steam but nothing has been decided.

Thanks

A question to Wags,

First, thank you for the great info you gave us. That was good for xmas.

At least we see the target point in the middle of 2008. I'm using Lomac now since 2003 and I'm very satisfied with the performance, except for one part of FC: It's called Starforce. This protection program gives me once a year a real headache. I use the CD version of Flaming Cliffs. Now, I can't use FC anymore due to several unknown reasons -which I don't want to mention - and unfortunately I'm back to Lomac 1.02. Wags, I don't want to bother you with this problem, but is DCS going to use this terrible system for BS?

I fully understand the situation of copy protection which is very important, but isn't there another copy protection system out there who is secure but not so complicated for the users? The forum even has one or two stickies and alot of threads in the years just to cover this problem. I guess these lines are worth a thought.

I surely hope that Black Shark has the same success as LO!!

Thank you for your attention.

tacit

• 3 weeks later...
That would be an excellent idea to have parts of the manual released for us to start our study on. I for one would appreciate it. Perhaps to anyone who preorders the sim or the hard copy of the manual?

Yes, I'd appreciate that too!! :) Would be very nice me thinks!!

Thanks Wags...great news.

-Surfer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

/i7 860 @ 4.18 ghz air/Asus Maximus Formula III/4 gig DDR3 1600

/Sapphire VaporX 5850 2 gig DDR5 oc'ed/Noctua CPU Air Cooler

/3ea WD 74 gig Raptors in RAID 0/1 TB WD Caviar/Antec 900

/Windows 7 Home 64 bit/MS Gaming Keyboard/Logitec G5 Mouse

/Saitek X52 Pro/TrackIR Vector/3ea Cougar MFD's/3ea 23" LED's

/Thermaltake 650w PS

Thanks Wags...

...I'm really looking forward the Black Shark.

-Surfer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

/i7 860 @ 4.18 ghz air/Asus Maximus Formula III/4 gig DDR3 1600

/Sapphire VaporX 5850 2 gig DDR5 oc'ed/Noctua CPU Air Cooler

/3ea WD 74 gig Raptors in RAID 0/1 TB WD Caviar/Antec 900

/Windows 7 Home 64 bit/MS Gaming Keyboard/Logitec G5 Mouse

/Saitek X52 Pro/TrackIR Vector/3ea Cougar MFD's/3ea 23" LED's

/Thermaltake 650w PS

• ED Team

29 January 2008

A new month, a new update. Since my last update, I’m afraid that there is not a whole lot of interesting news to pass along. However, things are progressing well and we’re still on track for a release later this year (sorry, I cannot be more specific than that). Here’s a run down of what’s currently going on:

1- Much of the team is devoted to creating and debugging the DCS interface screens. In fact, some of the art team usually assigned to object creation is now focused on this task.

2- DirectX 9 debugging is nearing completion. As mentioned earlier, the purpose of this switch was to solve problems with full shadows using current drivers.

3- Mission and campaign creation, this is a big one. The mission editor and campaign editor tools are complete enough now that we have begun mission content iteration now.

4- Translation of the flight manual to German and Spanish. These teams are also testing the manual against the software to make sure everything is matching up. At this point, I doubt we’ll be shipping a French version.

5- External modders are primarily working on skin textures and modifying/improving airbases.

6- Work continues on debugging the Ka-50 avionics systems.

7- Testers are primarily focused on mission editor, campaign, AI and network testing.

We hope to be testing the next beta sometime in mid-February and after that I should be able to create the next producer’s note video.

As mentioned a few times earlier, we hope to release the flight manual prior to game release.

So, not a huge or particularly interesting update, but things are moving forward.

Thanks for your support,

Matt

• Like 2

Good news on the update Wags, thanks.

But not so good news for the French and Quebec community members on the manual. And there is a lot of Frenchman that was and still looking forward for a French manual.

Anyhow, if possible. Do what you can for us French members, that would be appreciated. Depending on how thick it is... I'll try and translate as much as possible. But I know, I will have issues with some of the tech aviation terminology. But as for shipping a totaly French version of BlackShark; I can only let this in your capable hands.

Thanks in advance.

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

moving as planed is all i needed to hear. Good update. We just like to here that things are going good.

Thanks for the bone:punk:

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

HuRRaY! ME is finished.

But what does number 1 mean:

1- Much of the team is devoted to creating and debugging the DCS interface screens. In fact, some of the art team usually assigned to object creation is now focused on this task.

Whole graphic designing team and 3D team working at a title screen or whole UI or what?