Rudders

At one inch in diameter, this hall sensor is bigger than the ones cup pilot is selling and not as nice looking; I bought them from Cub when I had my Cougar five years ago. But it will do and I'll give them a try when I'm ready to build.

Mind if I call you Tiggerhappy? :D

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Yes most definately.. And no.. Absolutely not..!:cry:

Yes, because if you find one that fits in the same slot as the original Potmeters it's a "plug-and-play" job to mod your joystick.

No, because I have a hard time believing that you actually will find this Rotary Hall Effect Sencor (RHES for short). Important things to remember when checking this is how many degrees of travel the RHES is buildt to use. The ones I came across would need some kind og "pushrod and bellcrank" sollution and have a purpose buildt attaching made to fit it into the joystick.

[ATTACH]157[/ATTACH]

If only I could find out what type sencors "Cubpilot" uses for hes mod.. They seem to be an easy fix! Pricy, but well worth it I guess.!

http://www.cubpilotshangar.net/

The "DIY" sollution with a SS490 Series style sencor only problem is that it takes up so LITTLE space that it might seem a bit fiddly to work with.

Also... Compare the price between the two sollutions.. We're talking 15$ US for the DIY mod complete with all parts, and 115$ for just the RHES (at least here in Norway)..

Links to Hall Effect "plug and play" mods:

http://www.vkb-flightsimcontrols.com/produkt/mars.php?PHPSESSID=13041abf378030ea875aac386aeca778

http://www.cubpilotshangar.net/

http://www.checksix-forums.com/showthread.php?t=91587

Stick Extension mod for Cougar (look halfways down the page):

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=74728&highlight=extention

I actually have Cubby's Hall mod installed in my Cougar throttle. I did the modification about 2 tears ago and have had no problems what so ever. As far as using a pipe with controls added on? I'm certainly not even going to consider that route. another good thing about the Cougar is that you can simulate a collector. You can actually reverse the axis very easily by just changing the settings in the the control panel. This can be accomplished prior to loading up the game.. As far as which Hall sensor Cubby uses, I've heard of other guys trying find them without much success. Why dont you contact him directly, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

The problem with Cubpilot's sensors is they are expensive. He charges, for someone like me, an arm for it. I could afford it before because I lived in the U.S. and couple hundred bucks was two or three days worth of work. No problem. But now, I'm lucky if I make three hundred a month and I teach at two diferrent schools.

Also, someone did ask him for his source, I recall reading a thread about that, but his reply was something along the line of...no. heh

There is nothing wrong with saying no; it's his bread and butter. It just that, why ask him where else can we buy his sensor from? :) Anyway, the one I posted is 30 bucks a pop. Doesn't look as good but it should work.

There is the Vishay potentionmeters, 15 usd, Nordic posted that is supposed to last 5,000,000 cycles.

Then there's the one dollar hall sensor Theorin_prime posted; cannot beat that.

Cub can keep his sensors for people with money to burn. If I went with cub, I'd be spending 50 bucks a pop and I'll need six or seven of them. Yikes.

I actually have Cubby's Hall mod installed in my Cougar throttle. I did the modification about 2 tears ago and have had no problems what so ever. As far as using a pipe with controls added on? I'm certainly not even going to consider that route. another good thing about the Cougar is that you can simulate a collector. You can actually reverse the axis very easily by just changing the settings in the the control panel. This can be accomplished prior to loading up the game.. As far as which Hall sensor Cubby uses, I've heard of other guys trying find them without much success. Why dont you contact him directly, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Blaze

I hope I didn't come across wrong here.. The mod by Cubpilot is well thought through, well produced and machined and most of all, I have never heard ANYTHING but how it improves the accuracy and resolution and general feel if the Cougar.. And as I pointed out earlier (hmmm.. or did I forget to do so..? To bad I cant read my own previous post while writing this). If it was more available and not so expensive woth local taxes and P&P, I would have had one myself...

However I guess I'm just one of those guys who like to figure things out for myself..:music_whistling:

I suggest that instead of asking him to give away he's own trade secrets we start looking for the Sencors ourself.. I know that if I had a business like say... Coca Cola.. I wouldn't like everyone to bug me about the ingrediences of the drink, just because they really really liked it.! He's made a damn good mod, and we should respect that, don't you all agree.?

The problem with Cubpilot's sensors is they are expensive. He charges, for someone like me, an arm for it. I could afford it before because I lived in the U.S. and couple hundred bucks was two or three days worth of work. No problem. But now, I'm lucky if I make three hundred a month and I teach at two diferrent schools.

Also, someone did ask him for his source, I recall reading a thread about that, but his reply was something along the line of...no. heh

There is nothing wrong with saying no; it's his bread and butter. It just that, why ask him where else can we buy his sensor from? :) Anyway, the one I posted is 30 bucks a pop. Doesn't look as good but it should work.

There is the Vishay potentionmeters, 15 usd, Nordic posted that is supposed to last 5,000,000 cycles.

Then there's the one dollar hall sensor Theorin_prime posted; cannot beat that.

Cub can keep his sensors for people with money to burn. If I went with cub, I'd be spending 50 bucks a pop and I'll need six or seven of them. Yikes.

Well as seen in the pics my setup looks kinda like CRAP compared to the ready made ones. And they should look better to.. But hall effect being a non-physical-contact way to change the resistance, you really don't have to spend hours lining axles up with center and all that cosmetic stuff.. As long as it returns (and I have to point out that I am not talking in the 0,001mm scale here) to the same center, It will be a helluva lot more presice that your arm probably is anyway. LoL..

But Leafer..? Seven of them..? What are you flying around in anyway..:joystick:?

Ps. The most rewarding about modding my Cougar isn't even the improved preformance.. It's all the cool things I have learned about Hall Effect Sencors. Questions like "How they work, and why?", "What can they do for me?", "Why is the president of Peru?", "Who invented liquid soap?". All questions now answered.. to some extent..:smartass:

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can be much more precise with foot rudder control as you basically get a higher "resolution" of control because the foot rudder control needs larger movments compared to a twist stick.

Also there's one thing less to do with your hands, which is welcome as there are loads of buttons and stuff to worry about anyway.

I want a HOTAS and Rudders! :cry:

Good idea about the discount as rudder pedals is essential to helo sims, much more so than when flying fixed wing aircraft.

Use a X-52 Pro and the CH-Pro Pedals and can confirm your statements just.

But Leafer..? Seven of them..? What are you flying around in anyway..:joystick:?

Stick X - axis

Stick Y - axis

Rudder - rudder axis

Rudder - left toebrake

Rudder - right toebrake

Pitch trim

Rudder trim

Airlorn trim

Antenna Elevation

Sensor Gain

4 Throttles for Engines 1 - 4

4 Proppitch

4 Mixture levers

Axis for spoilers

One can never have too many axis :P

My DCS movies:

Here are some more pics of my DIY anti torque pedals. Those long black thingys are gas springs, which have an almost constant spring characteristic. That means there is no centering force acting on the pedals. In first place i wanted to have some simple dampers without springs, but i couldn't find any or rather they were way too expensive.

pedalfront.jpg.bdfccd0571098681b12d03ef378eda38.jpg

bushbearing.jpg.78b1f61ff9fb5d62eabdfb56ae94db5a.jpg

close.jpg.d8e99f2d1a0f34f599ed924a3b273bd1.jpg

Alternative to CH and Saitek:

http://www.dhs-electronic.de/homeeng.htm

I bought my Simped-Vario some years ago, still the gameport version, and I am using them until today in combination with a X52. In fact I like them much more than my CH-pedals...

I have the Simped Varios as well.. I"ve never had any issues with them :thumbup:

But then you get what you pay for..

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Yup. I can vouch for Simped. Had the gameport model; that was what people recommended if you own a TM Cougar. Gameport and not usb.

Nowadays, if I had the cash to buy a Simped, I might as well build myself a better looking one. Like the one Nordic built for himself.

• 1 year later...

Strannick,

How many axis X-52 has?

I have a HOTAS with 5 axis, and a Mjoy based controller with more 6 axis.

BS only recognize 5 axis from HOTAS plus 3 from Mjoy.

Windows direct imput limitation, i think...

Under CONTROLS in BS you see your CH Pedal?

Sort controls by "Axis Commands" category.

Sokol1