The "new" P-51D model. What can we expect?

Solty

Hello, I wanted to make a thread about the model that was announced some while ago by Racoon. When I've first heard about it, I've got excited.

What can we expect from the new P-51D update?

1. Will it completely swap the current D30 model, or will it be an additional switch in the mission editor? (The current model would fit into the Pacific theatre that LN is developing quite nicely. Also there has been quite a lot work put into the tail warning radar simulation.)

2. What model will that be? I myself have proposed the D20 or D25 as they require the least amount of work (I also feel that anything earlier would not correspond with the German planes we have in the game)

3. Will the new model come with the correctly modeled G-Suit and uniform for the pilot from the period?

4. What engine power will the airplane have?

5. Will the model bring new and improved Damage Model into the game?

6. What is the priority. Is it going to be created after all other airplanes from WW2 are in the game?

I am excited for the prospect of the new P-51D model.:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2725334&postcount=12

Current P-51D was planned long before the Normandy map came to scene. So we have late war Pacific variant in the DCS now.

I'm very appreciated for such great research. We'll update our Mustang for War in Europe in near future.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

• ED Team

Yes. We have a plan to make special version of the Mustang for Europe 44-45. It’s production will start after Spitfire will be complete.

Thanks to remind me about new pilot's suit.

New damage model is in production now. When the system itself will be ready we'll start to make new component models for every plane (WWII at least).

• Like 1

8<

(The current model would fit into the Pacific theatre that LN is developing quite nicely.

8<

I am excited for the prospect of the new P-51D model.:pilotfly:

Wh-wh-wh-where is this magical land, of which you speak? awshucks.gif

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Well, actually second picture features a P-51D-5, not necessarily the variant ED will aim for as she's a bit early one even without the later tail fin.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Well, actually second picture features a P-51D-5, not necessarily the variant ED will aim for as she's a bit early one even without the later tail fin.

S!

Yep I agree, that is very early model that was quickly upgraded and applied the tail fin. I presume they would either go for D20 or D25. Either way we would loose some of the radio equipment and it's position would be changed, and the tail warning radar. There are minor differences between the two. Otherwise it will be the same airplane.

Here is the P-51D history: http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/variants/p51d

Here is development of the P-51D in a nutshell:

Mustang%20Development.jpg

Edited by Solty

My channel:

How different do they look between European D and Late war Pacific D? Anyone got a pic to share?

only instaled devices was that difference

Uncle Sam and one different type of IFF

Mustangs used in ETO had only one antenna mast on top of fuselage and they were without control box in cockpit for uncle sam and they were without antenna mast under fuselage.

PTO Mustangs (but only from IwoJima) had newest IFF with different control box from type used in ETO. This control box is in DCS Mustang cockpit, but IFF box itself is not, it was behind radio, Iwo Muststangs with that IFF (all) had battery moved in to engine compartment, DCS Mustang has battery behind radio. With battery movement, Mustang got small air intake on left side engine cover, in front of left wing, DCS Mustang has it.

PTO Mustangs did not undergo modification for increased manifold pressure and this is the main problem...

Othewise late Mustangs (D-20, -25 and -30) in ETO and PTO were the same.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

I still feel bad for that poor forgotten P-51B model that was floating around for some time... need to show it some love :)

I'd love to at least paint it, but the materials are not updated so textures wont work.

edit: I take that back the materials work, I just had to re-set some things in the liveries folder.

Might have to Dump the UVWs to fix some stuff, but for the most part do-able

1079409105_ModelViewer2016-07-1900-01-26-65.thumb.jpg.7a518174ee5785bec49743124690a1f6.jpg

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I still feel bad for that poor forgotten P-51B model that was floating around for some time... need to show it some love :)

Its still in the Shapes folder along with a few other forgotten models. No textures though.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Its still in the Shapes folder along with a few other forgotten models. No textures though.

See a few posts back :music_whistling:

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'd love to at least paint it, but the materials are not updated so textures wont work.

edit: I take that back the materials work, I just had to re-set some things in the liveries folder.

Might have to Dump the UVWs to fix some stuff, but for the most part do-able

OOOOOOOOHHHHH! Is that a C model Mustang I...C?

S!

Good catch with the tail mod. I was focused on a Normandy D but I imagine we'd get something later...despite the contrast with the setting.

only instaled devices was that difference

Uncle Sam and one different type of IFF

Uncle Dog

Edited by Merlin-27

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

I like this post.

I am also a P-51 fan like many of you, but I don't feel as excited about this project. While I like the attention to details regarding different variants, I am a bit concerned about where this is going. How long is this new P51 model gonna take to make? How much would it be priced at? Would it be another 49.99? I can hardly imagine DCS would give it away free if this new model takes months to build. If that's the case, how do you think many existing p51 owners would feel about it? If it is 49.99, what are we really paying for?

1. New skin which is minutely different from the current one?

2. Different locations of IFF control boxes? Does this really make any different in flying characteristics of the plane? Do people really care?

3. Single antenna? Would this also change FM and handling characteristics of the plane?

4. New engine which could handle high octane fuel and providing higher MP? This is probably where the most meat is at. But, wait. Isn't late PTO mustang and late ETO mustang using the same engine? Isn't the power increase from 67" to 75" derived from the fuel rather than the engine itself? If you can model ETO mustang's V-1650-7 with 114/145 fuel, why can't you model PTO mustang's engine with the same fuel grade?

5. DM? Yes we do really need better DM. But, so you gonna give the new P51 the realistic DM while keeping the existing p51 with simplistic DM? Isn't DM the universal value that applies to all aircraft?

Thanks Merlin, my mistake it is UncleDog, U - D in morse code.

this document is about possibility to use it and what would be necessary to do "in the event that AN- F -33 is aviable for P-51" (paragraph 9)

no evidence about use of it during last months in WWII

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

I like this post.

I am also a P-51 fan like many of you, but I don't feel as excited about this project. While I like the attention to details regarding different variants, I am a bit concerned about where this is going. How long is this new P51 model gonna take to make? How much would it be priced at? Would it be another 49.99? I can hardly imagine DCS would give it away free if this new model takes months to build. If that's the case, how do you think many existing p51 owners would feel about it? If it is 49.99, what are we really paying for?

1. New skin which is minutely different from the current one?

2. Different locations of IFF control boxes? Does this really make any different in flying characteristics of the plane? Do people really care?

3. Single antenna? Would this also change FM and handling characteristics of the plane?

4. New engine which could handle high octane fuel and providing higher MP? This is probably where the most meat is at. But, wait. Isn't late PTO mustang and late ETO mustang using the same engine? Isn't the power increase from 67" to 75" derived from the fuel rather than the engine itself? If you can model ETO mustang's V-1650-7 with 114/145 fuel, why can't you model PTO mustang's engine with the same fuel grade?

5. DM? Yes we do really need better DM. But, so you gonna give the new P51 the realistic DM while keeping the existing p51 with simplistic DM? Isn't DM the universal value that applies to all aircraft?

As I understand it, ED is trying to bring the current module of DCS: P-51D model to the Europe 44-45 standard to be in line with other airplanes that we have or will have in DCS World Europe 44 because the P-51D was created before Europe 1944 was concieved and now ED feels it needs an update.

My channel:

As I understand it, ED is trying to bring the current module of DCS: P-51D model to the Europe 44-45 standard to be in line with other airplanes that we have or will have in DCS World Europe 44 because the P-51D was created before Europe 1944 was concieved and now ED feels it needs an update.
Indeed P-51D module at first, back to 2012 IIRC, was just a technological demonstrator but finally such a good one that RRG and Luthier popped up with DCSWWII with the known outcome and ED taking over the task. As such a demonstrator it just resembled one of the current The Fighter Collection P-51Ds available as a reference, probably "Ferocious Frankie" IIRC but included all the late D model features and refinements. Anyhow,…

Does anyone know the block/suite/version of our P-51D? is it the D30?
…if P-51 Handbook hasn't changed lately, I think the exact D batch isn't stated anywhere, but after a fellow member thorough research here in the forums it was clear the variant matches an Iwo Jima P-51D-30 in 1945. That's why ED talks about "overhauling" the D model to better match a 1944 one.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice