A/A tacan T/R

Einherjer

Hi there.

Was reading in the manual and I am a little shocked that the A/A T/R tacan will not be implemented?!

Does it mean it never will be implemented or not by now?!

Would be a really good function to find the FAC or another F-5 flying around in the target area...

8145f0e651cf684bae00f7d6e6285ef7.png

Edited by Einherjer

It is implemented in the A-10C, so should not be too much to add this function to the Tiger, if this was part of the F-5E modell. Helps also in BFM training.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

If I'm reading correctly it says about A/A, "receiving bearing information from specially equipped air-to-air stations". Is the F-5 itself a "specially equipped air-to-air station or is any other in-game aircraft?

Still, the Rec mode is supposed to work, so you get bearing, just lacking distance. Is it really so a big deal?

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

If I'm reading correctly it says about A/A, "receiving bearing information from specially equipped air-to-air stations". Is the F-5 itself a "specially equipped air-to-air station or is any other in-game aircraft?

A/A refuelers are. Don't think anything else (including F-5) is.

Still, the Rec mode is supposed to work, so you get bearing, just lacking distance. Is it really so a big deal?

S!

I don't remember the precise details, but I believe 2 aircraft with TACAN can establish their distance between eachother, but not bearing. The first aircraft selects a channel, the second one selects a channel +/- 63 different.

I've not tried this in multiplayer myself though.

Any two TACAN equipped aircraft can obtain distance from each other, this is known as TACAN Yardstick as is used for formation keeping and rejoins etc.

If this isn't modelled it will be a big omission, especially as it's the only tool to assist with formation work in the F-5E. It is indeed modelled in the A-10C, not sure about other TACAN equipped modules though.

As far as bearing, very few aircraft can provide that in reality (the KC-135 can't).

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

A/A refuelers are. Don't think anything else (including F-5) is.

I don't remember the precise details, but I believe 2 aircraft with TACAN can establish their distance between eachother, but not bearing. The first aircraft selects a channel, the second one selects a channel +/- 63 different.

I've not tried this in multiplayer myself though.

Good to know, thanks!! :thumbup: So that's a nice system to use in game provided it works. I'll keep in mind.

Well, lets expect "not implemented" means it's just a beta lacking feature.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Does this work with a AI craft?

No it doesn't (apart from KC-135) player/client only in MP. Two aircraft must set a TACAN 63 channels apart from each other (eg 01Y for lead & 64Y for wing). There's no option to set this for the AI.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Good to hear; thanks for feeding back.

Spoiler

Good news everyone! A/A T/R is implemented and working in multiplayer. We will fix it in the manual.

:megalol: :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Great work.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Range only.

Spoiler

So with A/A T/R do we get range and bearing, or is it range information only?

Range only.

Why do you think A/A T/R doesn't give range and bearing?

Page 106 (1-92) of TO 1F-5E-1 on the ARN-118

14 Function Selector Switch

• OFF —Turns off power.
  • REC — Receiving identification signals from selected station
    and provides bearing to station.
  • T/R — Transmitting and receiving. Provides bearing and
    range to station.
  • A/A REC — receiving identification signals from selected airborne
    station and provides bearing to station.
  • A/A T/R — Transmitting and receiving. Provides bearing and range to selected airborne station.

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Because it doesn't. Not unless the cooperating station is able to provide bearing data. Which aside from the KC-10 other aircraft cannot do.

The bearing element of TACAN requires a rotating signal synchronised with the ranging pulses in order for the receiver to derive bearing to the station. Aircraft only have the ranging portion of the system.

In short the F-5E, A-10, and I any other tactical aircraft you care to name with TACAN can receive and display range and bearing via TACAN, but they can only provide range to others.

• Like 1

Spoiler