Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

OK,

I just installed the 1.3 runtime, latest Nvidia VR driver and ran Flyinside for FSX for a short hop (only as I know it supports 1.3 right now).

The difference ATW makes is huge.

I mean, it is a massive, massive difference. Smoothness is up to a whole new level. Judder was almost non-existent.

I only have FSX installed currently so I can test the leap motion when it arrives in the next day or so, as Flyinside supports it. DCS is where the heart is though, so tests on that to begin shortly...

For those of you running a DK2 - 1.3 is very, very nice (as soon as DCS supports it, heh).

Cheers,

Smirks

Cheers,

Smirkza

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FlyInside for FSX/P3d is off the chain with the latest updates. ED is really WOW too.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Got specs and a little worried? This guy was, too, but he's happy now:

I'm not too bothered - I wear specs all the time, but when I watch SBS vids in a headset I can manage without them just fine, using the built in lens adjustments.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Got specs and a little worried? This guy was, too, but he's happy now:

I'm not too bothered - I wear specs all the time, but when I watch SBS vids in a headset I can manage without them just fine, using the built in lens adjustments.

I haven't used anything but the DK1, but I felt that I could see adequately without my glasses. I am farsighted, but the far is getting less sighted as the years pass. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team

Dear all,

With the release of the 1.3 SDK, DCSW is no longer working with the CV Rift. We are aware of this and hope to rebuild in 1.3 shortly.

Please note that there are other issues we still need to resolve in DCS before we and Oculus feel the software is working well:

1- Add required Xbox controller use in UI

2- Fix "laser pointer" (was working great in 1.2 SDK)

3- Fix 2D mission loading screens

4- Fix 3D UI background

We hope to have these and rebuild in 1.3 soon.

Thanks

Edited by Wags

:thumbup:Thanks Matt

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Cheers, Wags! Thank you for the update!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

That sounds like a plan! Thanks.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Rift will cost you a grand total of 3 USB 3.0 slots.... 4 if you need the remote extender.

Be prepared.

2 if you dont want the XBO Controller (which if you have a HOTAS already, you prolly wont want it as MS Driver will fight with your HOTAS over device IDs .)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Hilarious video of Palmer Luckey hand delivering the very first consumer rift to a guy in Alaska.

He wore flip flops and shorts.

https://www.facebook.com/palmer.luckey/videos/vb.1063830478/10207710972306676/?type=2&theater

His story is so cool, what a legend.

Something about me maybe.. I could just imagine him knocking on the office door and the guy says, 'I know you, you're Palmer Luckey' and Palmer says, 'I know you, your the guy from 'will it blend' . :music_whistling:

My PC is a couple of years old and it has 4 USB 3.0 sockets on the motherboard.

Seems crazy that people with PCs modern and powerful enough to have the Rift wouldn't have USB 3 available :huh:

A good USB 3.0 PCIe card from Amazon cost me £15 and that works great with my 8 year old E6850-based 2nd PC (powering the Tobii EyeX on it).

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Seems crazy that people with PCs modern and powerful enough to have the Rift wouldn't have USB 3 available :huh:

A good USB 3.0 PCIe card from Amazon cost me £15 and that works great with my 8 year old E6850-based 2nd PC (powering the Tobii EyeX on it).

That is just people looking for something to whine about. My i7-3820 based machine isn't all that new either and it has four right on the backplane plus two more from the header on the motherboard, along with plenty of USB 2 ports for other stuff.

It says mine fails on the usb ports. I have enough of them but apparently there is also a problem with a specific usb chipset so I need a pci card.

• ED Team
Rift will cost you a grand total of 3 USB 3.0 slots.... 4 if you need the remote extender.

Be prepared.

2 if you dont want the XBO Controller (which if you have a HOTAS already, you prolly wont want it as MS Driver will fight with your HOTAS over device IDs .)

Actually, I use just two USB 3.0 and a video port.

That is just people looking for something to whine about. My i7-3820 based machine isn't all that new either and it has four right on the backplane plus two more from the header on the motherboard, along with plenty of USB 2 ports for other stuff.

Im not whining about anything, just giving a heads up, as a lot of people were surprised about need 4 USB 3.0 Ports (And they all have to be 3.0),

Required:

-1 HMD USB3.0

-1 Camera/Sensor USB3.0

Optional:

-1 Wireless Adapter Charge/Extender USB3.0

-1 Xbox One Wireless Receiver USB3.0

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Actually, I use just two USB 3.0 and a video port.

-1x HMD USB

-1x Camera/Sensor USB

?

The Wireless Reciever for the XBO Controller is a big USB 3.0 Block that may block other ports close together, I think I'll just use my USB PLug N Charge Cable, lol.

It says mine fails on the usb ports. I have enough of them but apparently there is also a problem with a specific usb chipset so I need a pci card.

Sometimes it will say fail but it hasn't really. Most PC's have usb on the front and usb on the back. If you go into Device Manager and disable the front ones, re-run the oculus test it may pass. If it doesn't, disable the other one and try it again. It will show failed if either the front or the back won't work. A lot of people have been finding the ones on the back will pass and the ones on the front will fail. Once you figure out which one is compatible you will know whether to plug it into the front or back. Make sure you re-enable the usb in Device Manager so you can still use them. If neither of them work then yes, buy a card. This one is known to be compatible: https://www.amazon.ca/Inateck-Express-Connector-Controller-Internal/dp/B00PAFDW3M?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-1x HMD USB

-1x Camera/Sensor USB

?

The Wireless Reciever for the XBO Controller is a big USB 3.0 Block that may block other ports close together, I think I'll just use my USB PLug N Charge Cable, lol.

Put it on a short USB 3.0 extension cable. Problem solved.

Im not whining about anything,

I wasn't singling anyone out. I was referring the general internet noise on that subject. Especially since that is relatively minor compared to the other hardware requirements.

Will a 980 be enough to run it smooth, or should I be looking at two 980s, or possibly more?

"We carried out many trials to try to find the answer to the fast, low-level intruder, but there is no adequate defense."

— Air Vice-Marshal J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson, RAF

Can't charge us all

For those that bought the Rift and are concerned they won't be able to do room scale at some point, here's a link to "upload VR" testing.

Oculus Rift is Capable of “Room Scale” with a Single Camera, it’s Just Not Optimized for it

http://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-cv1-one-camera-room-scale/

Palmer has suggested that a Chaperone type system won't be difficult to implement with Touch, and Touch should come with the extra camera. There should also be lots of roomscale content available for the Rift when launched. The only small issue I foresee is that the Vive 5 meter cables will allow 15x15 room while the Rifts 4 meter cables allow for a 12x12 room scale. That said, some people who are doing room scale testing with their Rifts have said that extensions do work.